Am I eating enough?

I hope this question isn't redundant.

I'm 5'10 and weigh about 160 - looking to drop 10-15. I'll be 49 this week.

MFP has set me a goal of 1200 calories a day based on my 'sedentary' daily living. Yes, I work a desk job, but I work out 6 times a week. 3 runs, 3 lift days. I'm tracking calories and some days it's enough but some days I feel hungry. I want to build muscle and am concerned that I may not be eating enough.

I like to keep things simple, so please, no equations. I just want to know if I can consume more calories and still lose while maintaining my current level of fitness. I've always exercised, but my diet needs some tweaking (big time).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Are you eating back the calories that you burn through your workouts?
  • scrapbookingtm
    scrapbookingtm Posts: 1,916 Member
    you should be eating your 1200 plus at least part of your exercise calories.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Yes, you should definitely be able to eat more.

Are you logging your exercise in MFP and eating back at least some of those calories? Also, most people aren't actually sedentary, even if you work a desk job.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    To lose weight you need to be in a calorie deficit. To gain muscle, you have to be in a calorie surplus. Aside from newbie gains, you will not be gaining muscle as you lose weight.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    At your height and weight, I would say no. With vanity weight to lose, a small deficit (half a pound a week) is your best bet. You won't gain muscle, but this will help you retain as much as possible.
  • Baydogger
    Baydogger Posts: 37 Member
    Yes I am eating back my exercise calories. It's the only thing keeping me sane!
  • SuzySunshine99
    What calorie goal does MFP give you if you set it to lose a half pound per week?
  • Baydogger
    Okay that's interesting. I didn't think to do that. I had it set as losing 1 kg a week - I've changed that to .25 kg a week and it adjusted my calorie goal to 1,520 daily. I've only been doing this a week and already lost 2 lbs but I want this to be sustainable, and not something to suffer through. And, I am more likely to be in a deficit this way, I think. That was a helpful suggestion thank you.
  • SuzySunshine99
    Baydogger wrote: »
    Okay that's interesting. I didn't think to do that. I had it set as losing 1 kg a week - I've changed that to .25 kg a week and it adjusted my calorie goal to 1,520 daily. I've only been doing this a week and already lost 2 lbs but I want this to be sustainable, and not something to suffer through. And, I am more likely to be in a deficit this way, I think. That was a helpful suggestion thank you.

With not a lot of weight to lose, that is the way to go. The 2-pound per week levels are really better for people who have much more to lose.
  • Baydogger
    Baydogger wrote: »

With not a lot of weight to lose, that is the way to go. The 2-pound per week levels are really better for people who have much more to lose.

Great news. Thanks again.