Breastfeeding calorie goals

Options
Hello,

FTM and 3 weeks pp. I gained about 35 pounds and have about 10 lbs left to lose. How do you know how many calories you need to take in while breastfeeding? I want to be able to feed my child and lose the last 10 lbs.

Replies

• Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You'll keep losing weight from birth recovery for another 3 weeks, so I wouldn't worry about weight loss until then. You don't know what you're dealing with yet, and you might hurt your milk supply. But, once you've recovered from the birth, you need to add an extra 500 calories a day for breastfeeding, so (again) you don't hurt your milk supply. So I'd go through the MFP recommendations, and with having a new baby and not having much to lose, you probably should only try to lose half a pound to a pound a week, and then add 500 calories a day to whatever that is. Congratulations on your new baby!
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS on your Little One!!!!

You burn approx 20 calories per oz. I logged while I BF for over a year and was down to PP weight very quickly. Create yourself an exercise so you can easily log it. To determine what LO is intaking; pump one side while baby nurses the other. Log it, and MFP should do the rest of the work to determine what you need to intake, increase your water by 50%. If you only have 10lb to lose, you shouldn't have ANY problems dropping that weight. I wouldn't start actually dieting until your LO is older and on a set and regular feeding schedule.
  • ChristinePearlFNP
    ChristinePearlFNP Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Start at 6 weeks, I'm a BF mom and my little guy is 3 months...you need approx 500 extra cals to EBF