Pregnancy Calorie Goals

Options
I am currently trying to conceive. I want to continue logging to MFP during my pregnancy to try to stay within a healthy calorie range and be conscious of what I'm eating. I won't be "dieting" while pregnant. How should I set my goals in MFP? Any advice is appreciated.

Replies

• steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Hi I just found out I'm pregnant with my second. My first is 10.5 months old. Are you having any issues with fertility? because if so a special diet/calorie requirement may be outlined to you from your doctor. Personally I have infertility issues and I had to follow a higher calorie diet including more fats and other things, but this is a special circumstance. So if you do have any fertility issues I would strongly suggest you talk to your doctor. In general, If you are trying to conceive your calorie goals should be set to maintenance. It's also recommended that you limit caffeine (1 cup of coffee per day max... personally I cut it out completely), abstain from alcohol and stop smoking if you are a smoker. Ensure you are taking a folate supplement every day. In the first trimester with my first son I just kept my calories at maintenance as many woman do, you don't need any extra calories in first trimester. For rest of pregnancy I just set it to gain 0.5 lb per day. In all honesty though first trimester I couldn't keep anything down except dry corn flakes and chicken noodle soup and didn't log until week 13. Then, because I was active i needed more than I set on MFP so just ended up listening to my own body, ate healthily but as much as i needed. We'll see how things go this pregnancy. Good luck to you.
  • Jenigmatic
    Jenigmatic Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't think I will have any issues with fertility, or at least I hope I won't! I have a 9 1/2 yo son, so I've been pregnant before and I gained WAY too much weight with him. Although I did end up with borderline pre-eclamspia at the end of the pregnancy and I know some of that weight was attributed to extreme water retention. I just REALLY would like to stay at a healthy manageable weight this time around and since it's been so long since my son... it's like starting brand new! I will definitely need refreshers!

I just got off birth control this month, so "trying to conceive" is really.... trying to get pregnant! And hoping for the best!!

Thank you for your advice! I am taking a prenatal vitamin with folic acid. I think what I will do is set it for maintenance to start, and then talk to the doctor once I go in for my first visit.
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I am pregnant with my second and for the last 4 years to include being pregnant with my first I log everyday. I use MFP during this time to ensure that I'm eating 'enough' instead of using it to keep my diet esp since I'm an avid runner I want to make sure I'm fueling my body enough for both myself and my little one...I was underweight for my first pregnancy so I gained about 42 lb. Lost it all in about 4 months. When I stopped nursing a year later, I put on about 8lb of muscle training for an event and kept it on as I actually liked being stronger. My doctor said no diet changes the first trimester, second +250-ish third trimester +350-ish - MFP is easily adjusted.