People who have quit smoking...I need HELP!!

Options
Okay to start things off...I am starting my 2nd day of not smoking. I was used to smoking over a half of pack a day. Now I smoke none. A few years ago I quit smoking and started a horrible sleep problem..which led me to a box of meds....appointment after appoint for doctor's, sleep studies done, horrible experiences from sleep aids. Just a problem that started all because I stopped smoking. Now ---that lasted a couple of years. What was happening...was I was waking up and eating bowls of cereal every 30 min. to hour on the dot...with milk. Basically sleep walking to the kitchen. Now I started gaining---- which I had just lost 100 lbs from years before that having my daughter. So that became a major problem...something I had NO control over. I was doing it in my sleep. There were times I scared people I lived with just from my behavior at night. I gave up and started back smoking. Now yesterday was the first time to go ONE DAY with no cigarette. I went to bed at 8 pm or later just because I am very moody and fening the nicotine. Man I did it. I got up at 12:30 went for the dang cereal and ate some....why am I doing this. How can I stop it. I don't want to have to go through all the problems I had back then. Any suggestions. I need to stop and stay stopped. But I refuse to gain all my weight back over night and sleep walking. Someone please help me. It is sooo depressing....and it took years to recover.

Replies

• Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    what if you put a container of celery or carrots in the fridge so you eat those instead of cereal?
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i was at about a half pack a day last summer, and I quit (but started again 3 months later like an idiot), but the first 3 days are the hardest-- i'm sure you already know that. Today is really going to suck. I'm curious to hear what other people say because I haven't quit completely. I am done to just 1 a day, but I honestly cannot seem to give up that 1 a day =[ !
  • DanaKinzer
    DanaKinzer Posts: 72
    Options
    Lock up the pantry and the fridge at night and give someone else the key. Also, talk to your doctor about the issue as well.
  • Floricienta
    Floricienta Posts: 209
    Options
    That is so weird. Congrats on quitting by the way!
    I would suggest working out at night so that you are dead tired and relaxed and sleep well. That usually works wonders for me.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I was only able to quit because my husband (at the time boyfriend) was disgusted by it and when he realized I was still smoking he was hesitant to take me back (long story).. so I ended up just quitting cold turkey right there and never looked back. I was more of a social smoker, though, so it was easier for me to quit than if I'd been smoking at home too.

As for your cereal problem, have you thought of putting the cereal in a locked cabinet and giving someone you live with the key to hide every night?
  • kellyw74
    kellyw74 Posts: 9
    Options
    I don't know if this will help you or not, but I quit smoking April 9, 2010. I went to Walmart, bought a box of Nicoderm CQ, threw my cigarettes in the trash and never smoked again!!
    I put a patch on in the morning when I got up and again every morning for 8 days. After that 8th day, I was good and didn't need them anymore. They totally work for the cravings. I could tell by the end of the day around 9 or so that the patch was getting weaker, but it was bedtime, so I would just go to sleep. Then, put a new one on when I got up!
    I think knowing that I could not smoke with it on kept me from smoking. If I smoked, I could die or have a heart attack and then everyday without smoking made it easier and then after a week, I didn't even want to smoke.
    Stopping was actually easier than I thougt it would be! I had smoked since I was 13 and I am 36 and I smoked a pack a day. So, I was addicted, no dobut!
    Go get you a box of those patches and try them. They really do work if you want it bad enough!
    Good luck!
    Kelly
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    First off, fantastic job for making it this far!

Second, are you using any kind of nicotine replacement? I had huge success with the patch, although it did give me pretty vivid dreams at first. It's *critical* to follow the directions to the letter.

As far as the sleepwalking goes, consider physically blocking off the kitchen. It's not quite the same situation, but I had a baaad habit of eating junk in the middle of the night when I got up to let the dogs out. So I - literally - moved furniture in front of the entrance to the kitchen so that I would have to stop for half a second, which was often enough to redirect me back to bed.

Don't know if that will work for your layout, though.

Vitamin B12 drops worked fairly well. Gum. Sucking on a clove. Getting up and moving around. Knowing exactly when the triggers are going to hit so I can prepare for them. I gained about 20 pounds. It's been almost two years, but those pounds (and some extra) are gone. When you quit smoking, your lung capacity and ability to do cardio is going to go through the roof.

It's hard, though - one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Best of luck, huge hugs. Friend me if you want support.
  • pratkovic
    pratkovic Posts: 55
    Options
    I have quit dipping a few times with success for long periods of time. My problem is thinking I can do it again on the golf course without thinking I will get addicted again. I can only say what has worked for me!

When I get out of my normal routine....like a vacation...a few days off...just whatever gets you out of your normal stressful daily routine. Buy a box of patches use them and remove anything else you enjoy as a compliment to smoking (cofee, soda, etc)

Patch, removal of daily stress, removal of smoking compliments and some will power will get you through the first few days!

I promise
  • pregmeg119
    pregmeg119 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think knowing that I could not smoke with it on kept me from smoking. If I smoked, I could die or have a heart attack and then everyday without smoking made it easier and then after a week, I didn't even want to smoke.

I smoked too, only 2-3 a day but enough. Started the patch because I wanted to be healthy all around and be able to exercise without panting for air like a hot dog! I used the patch for two days, forgot it on the 3rd, used it for two more days and was done with it. I really feel like knowing it was dangerous to smoke with the patch on helped me.

I don't know what to do about your cereal cravings at night. I've never experienced that but wish you lots of luck!
  • deewildwoman
    deewildwoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Are you still on the sleep aids? I ask becuase the eating while sleep walking was a side effect of some of the sleep aids they gave my grandmother. This was a woman who watched every bite she ate, but would sleep walk while on the sleep aid and down a whole bag of Cheetos...stuff like that. Just wondering if the sleep aid is causing this and not the smoke cessation.

As for quitting...I quite about 4-1/2 years ago. I was a 2 pack a day smoker!. I used the patches and they did wonders for me. I think the biggest hurdle is that "you REALLY have to WANT it". If you are half-hearted or quitting for someone else, it just doesn't work...at least it didn't for me. I tried to quit a few times before and I just wasn't ready. When I finally quit, I think I gained about 10 pounds from the quitting smoking.

Hang in there. If you can just get thru the first 7 days, the cravings go away. Then you just have to beat the habit.
  • ahaywood2012
    Options
    I just had my one year anniversary of stopping smoking. I did indeed gain weight, but after a year has passed, I'm turning it around and losing it again. I probably would have gained even more weight had I quit by any other method than I did. I read a book called "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allan Carr. He addresses this issue of weight gain and, if you truly use his method, there shouldn't be any. This book saved me. I've quit so many times before... patches, the smoking pills... gum... and always I had it in my head that I was "deprived" because I couldn't smoke. After reading this book (well, listening to it almost three times on CD) I was ready to just stop.... didn't feel deprived... didn't need to replace it with anything else (that's where the weight gain comes in). I can be around smokers any time and absolutely never once think "I wish I could smoke." I honestly only ever think "Thank god I don't smoke any more."

Nicotine raises our metabolism.. so when we stop smoking, we have to exercise a little bit more just to even maintain the same weight. My suggestion would be.... If you're having problems sleeping, perhaps let yourself have a bowl of cereal... just make yourself do some situps or walk on a treadmill or something before you do.. sort of a trade-off. Maybe look into some yoga and/or meditation techniques. Be kind to yourself right now. Don't stress too much about gaining weight. Stressing about food will probably make you eat more and make you want to give up and light up a smoke. You're doing something wonderful for yourself! Congratulations!!
  • yalmira82
    yalmira82 Posts: 37
    Options
    what if you put a container of celery or carrots in the fridge so you eat those instead of cereal?

I have tons of containers of vegies in the fridge ( They say I eat like a rabbit). I just love celery and all the vegies that you can grab and go) But it is something with cereal. Especially if I am in the kitchen ...I am going to grab that cereal ....than the container out of fridge. I think it has alot to do with my routine back then. I ate cereal every morning. And I trained my body to eat breakfast first thing in the morning. But now I don't eat cereal alot and my daughter had some cereal in cabinet and bam...i grabbed that.
  • yalmira82
    Options
    Lock up the pantry and the fridge at night and give someone else the key. Also, talk to your doctor about the issue as well.

That may be my only option...we were going to do that back then!
  • yalmira82
    Options
    I was only able to quit because my husband (at the time boyfriend) was disgusted by it and when he realized I was still smoking he was hesitant to take me back (long story).. so I ended up just quitting cold turkey right there and never looked back. I was more of a social smoker, though, so it was easier for me to quit than if I'd been smoking at home too.

As for your cereal problem, have you thought of putting the cereal in a locked cabinet and giving someone you live with the key to hide every night?

I think if there was not cereal I would dig up something else fatty. Like for example...back then there was no cereal and I went for the container of icing in the fridge. Now that is BAD...a big NO NO
  • azingale
    azingale Posts: 74
    Options
    Nicotine replacement really, really, REALLY helps. I was an unwilling quitter... and a two-pack-a-day one at that... but one day, I just didn't have enough money for another pack, but I did have some nicotine gum saved for traveling (nothing like being stuck in an airport for 6 hours and no opportunity to smoke.) So, I started the gum. That was February 2010. I'm still chewing the gum (though 2 mg now, not 4 mg), and I did gain some weight, but I'm *not* *smoking*, so that's the most important thing. I am learning to like regular gum as well as the nicotine gum. The gum isn't as safe as simply not smoking, but it certainly beats actually smoking!
  • yalmira82
    Options
    I don't know if this will help you or not, but I quit smoking April 9, 2010. I went to Walmart, bought a box of Nicoderm CQ, threw my cigarettes in the trash and never smoked again!!
    I put a patch on in the morning when I got up and again every morning for 8 days. After that 8th day, I was good and didn't need them anymore. They totally work for the cravings. I could tell by the end of the day around 9 or so that the patch was getting weaker, but it was bedtime, so I would just go to sleep. Then, put a new one on when I got up!
    Stopping was actually easier than I thougt it would be! I had smoked since I was 13 and I am 36 and I smoked a pack a day. So, I was addicted, no dobut!
    Go get you a box of those patches and try them. They really do work if you want it bad enough!
    Good luck!

NOW HOW MUCH ARE SPEAKING ABOUT SPENDING???

Kelly
  • yalmira82
    Options
    First off, fantastic job for making it this far!

Second, are you using any kind of nicotine replacement? I had huge success with the patch, although it did give me pretty vivid dreams at first. It's *critical* to follow the directions to the letter.

As far as the sleepwalking goes, consider physically blocking off the kitchen. It's not quite the same situation, but I had a baaad habit of eating junk in the middle of the night when I got up to let the dogs out. So I - literally - moved furniture in front of the entrance to the kitchen so that I would have to stop for half a second, which was often enough to redirect me back to bed.

Don't know if that will work for your layout, though.

Vitamin B12 drops worked fairly well. Gum. Sucking on a clove. Getting up and moving around. Knowing exactly when the triggers are going to hit so I can prepare for them. I gained about 20 pounds. It's been almost two years, but those pounds (and some extra) are gone. When you quit smoking, your lung capacity and ability to do cardio is going to go through the roof.

It's hard, though - one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Best of luck, huge hugs. Friend me if you want support.
    [/quote

It only triggers me on my routine patterns...when I make time for cigarrette. But I have will power not to buy them. I only bought them at one store because prices were good. So it does not trigger me when I stop by gas station. It sucks first thing in the morning and when I am just sitting at home alone. The night thing is like my body is craving for that nicotine and it gets up for a replacement. You think if I put a patch on before bedtime that will help keep me asleep????
  • yalmira82
    Options
    Are you still on the sleep aids? I ask becuase the eating while sleep walking was a side effect of some of the sleep aids they gave my grandmother. This was a woman who watched every bite she ate, but would sleep walk while on the sleep aid and down a whole bag of Cheetos...stuff like that. Just wondering if the sleep aid is causing this and not the smoke cessation.

As for quitting...I quite about 4-1/2 years ago. I was a 2 pack a day smoker!. I used the patches and they did wonders for me. I think the biggest hurdle is that "you REALLY have to WANT it". If you are half-hearted or quitting for someone else, it just doesn't work...at least it didn't for me. I tried to quit a few times before and I just wasn't ready. When I finally quit, I think I gained about 10 pounds from the quitting smoking.

Hang in there. If you can just get thru the first 7 days, the cravings go away. Then you just have to beat the habit.

No I was not on sleep aids before I was sleep walking to the kitchen. I am crazy about what I eat.....so mentally it drains me...because I don't eat after dinner...and how can i keep a steady helthy weight if I am eating a whole box of cereal a night??? Now this was 2 years ago. I just did it once and did not pig out like before...but the fact it was first day no smoke.....and I did that...after years of not. Frightening!!!!!
  • kellyw74
    kellyw74 Posts: 9
    Options
    If you are asking how much I spent on the patches, I bought one box used them all. It had enough patches in it for a week. I went to the store and got another box and used one out of it and after that, I was good! I did not need the other 6 and I gave them to a friend just a couple months ago that was trying to quit.

If you think about it, how much is a pack of smokes?? $5.00? Those patches were like $30 I think. Cheaper per patch than a pack of cigarettes!!

Kelly
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    I had a similar problem, I would sleep-eat and not remember. My daughter, who was a teenager at the time, made me aware of it. It would happen only once a night but would screw up my calories for the day. Over time, I got to where I would sort-of remember the sleep-eating. In the morning, I would think that it was dream, but I left the evidence of crumbs behind or would leave the cookies on the counter. Occasionally, a cookie went to bed with me and I would find it in my bed. UGH! (I can't believe I am posting this) Eventually, I was able to sort-of wake up, just enough to avoid the cookies and grab a glass of water instead. Now, I sleep through the night. I had quit smoking once before and started up again after two years. The second time I quit was almost 5 years ago (August 19th, 2007). For me, I had to train myself to grab water instead. When I quit 5 years ago, I quit cold turkey and without any aids. I hope you are able to work through this... It will be SO worth it. Good luck.