How many calories before dinner?

Options
flagrantavidity
flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
edited November 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Question for everyone - how many calories do you normally consume before dinner?

My maintainence level is 2500, I am trying to loose weight by limiting to 1600 for 30 days.

I'm getting hunger pains like mad before dinner time. In the past it was never this bad.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would say about half. So half my intake before dinner then the other half split between dinner and dessert typically works for me
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Um... I don't eat breakfast, then usually have a very small lunch (if I eat one at all). MOST of my calories are eaten at dinner. Like 3/4 of them. For me, that's about 500 calories prior to dinner and 1400 calories for dinner/snacks in the evening. I think it's highly variable per person. Have you tried having a higher protein (and fat, maybe) lunch/breakfast? Protein and fats help keep me full and satisfied longer.
  • Notaphase
    Notaphase Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I try to eat 1650 calories a day. I consistently eat 250 for breakfast (two hard boiled eggs and coffee with milk) then I usually have a 400 calorie lunch (a sandwich or pita and humus). That leaves me 1000 for dinner. I find that I have to eat dinner earlier in the day for this to work out. I used to eat dinner at 8 but now I eat before 7 because I start getting really hungry by 7. I find that I actually sleep better when I'm a little before bedtime. Hope this helps in some way. Drinking a some water or tea before dinner also helps with the hunger.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I'm near half usually. I like to eat a lot of deserts at night afterm dinner.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    1/2 here too, then the rest for dinner. That's if I'm cutting. If I'm bulking it takes most of the day to get the calories in.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you have to lose? 900 Cal deficit per day is very aggressive, that's why you're hungry. I'm a short not very active female, and I get hungry sometimes eating 1600 :)
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I gorged myself the past month or so, I gained 10 pounds and would like to get rid of it so I can go back to eating at my maintainence 2500 calories.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Well I eat 21:3 (1-4 pm) so I eat all my calories before "supper"
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat my calories pretty evenly spaced throughout the day and I don't tend to do a lot of after dinner snacking.

It's very individual and will be different from person to person.

But, if you're actually experiencing hunger pains, I would recommend easing up on your deficit a bit. Yours seems very aggressive.
  • shellyld2016
    shellyld2016 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I fill up on veggies during the day or have a protein smoothie. I tend to space mine pretty evenly including snacks. Just be sure you are getting plenty of protein and fiber to feel full longer.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    How much do you have to lose? Maybe you're simply cutting too drastically..
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I gorged myself the past month or so, I gained 10 pounds and would like to get rid of it so I can go back to eating at my maintainence 2500 calories.

That's way too aggressive of a cut for only 10 lbs. A deficit of 250 cals for 0.5lb/week loss and focusing on strength training would be more appropriate and sustainable.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    1600 for a guy is low, maybe aim for 2000 a day? You'll still lose 1lb a week.
    I eat 400 for both breakfast and lunch and 800 for dinner, plus snacks of 400 to maintain. I rarely feel true hunger. Plenty of protein sees to that.
  • Justme_1
    Justme_1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My dinner is 1/3 of my intake usually. But I lift before dinner, so my body is needing the carbs and calories at that point
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

In that case, you are going to be hungry, as well as probably a little fatigued as the month wears on. And you're going to lose a fair amount of muscle in that 10 lbs if you manage to do it. With so little to lose, that's basically a crash diet. You're trying to fix one bad decision with another - swinging from one extreme to the other is not healthy!
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I eat 5 small meals per day and the calories are split pretty evenly over the course of the day.

In the morning I eat a small snack - home made banana oat muffins that come in at about 280 calories. Then I eat breakfast at work, which is home made protein oatmeal and some kind of fruit - and that usually comes in at about 400 calories, depending on the fruit of the week.

Then lunch comes in usually around 500 calories, and then afternoon snack is about 250 calories. And then dinner is about 600 - 800 calories. I also run 5 days a week so I get a few more calories to play with on those days . . . and on those days I will add like frozen yogurt in after dinner or some peanut butter cookies or something.

It works best for me to have an even amount of food throughout the day, but that might not be best for everyone.

For reference I am 5'10, 250 lbs and consume 2,000 - 2,200 calories/day to lose 1lb/week.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Give it 60 days and a 2000 day and you'll retain good muscle, feel better, and be able to follow through I'm thinking. Patience Grasshopper :)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    A 1000 calorie deficit Is kind of *kitten* extreme. Bump that up to 2000 and save yourself the pain and loss of muscle mass. I personally consume about 2700-3000 calories before dinner then another 300-400 before bed. And I'm still struggling to gain.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,982 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I would say about half. So half my intake before dinner then the other half split between dinner and dessert typically works for me

This is what I do too. I also find that having a good amount of protein for breakfast helps me feel full. I usually eat 2 boiled eggs plus fruit and/or yogurt.