Everything's gone so wrong.

Options
I was happy. I lost a stone and 8 pounds and now I don't even want to step on the scales in fear of the amount of weight I've put on. All I do is eat and eat and eat, it's all emotional eating and I feel horrible and disgusted. I feel really depressed and I don't even know what triggered it.

Replies

• Athomemermaid
    Athomemermaid Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What these guys said ^^

Better to face reality now and get back on track than in 3 months or more.

I would go to the doctor to talk about it. They might refer you to a counsellor and or dietitian or even anti depressants.

In the mean time when your feeling 'strong' step on those scales. Give your self 10 minutes to be bummed about it an then start getting back on track. Peel some carrots, boil eggs for the fridge etc to get you onto healthier snacks.

Start slow so you don't give up an loose momentum. But do log everything on here. EVEN if it's 'bad'foods or over.

You got this!!
  • Taylor076097
    Taylor076097 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I was in the same place you are. My life went haywire, put everyone else first and was in a battle with myself. I knew I needed to change. But I knew I needed help getting there. Medication, support and actually using that gym membership I pay for has turned my life around. I have a long way to go but I feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel. Talk to your doc. Start making healthier choices, even if they are small ones.
  • WallyAmadeus
    WallyAmadeus Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You're not a better or worst person because of a number on the scale. You're just human. I would say: Look back at your better days on MFP, and start from there. If you're been successful in the past, you can be successful again. I don't think it is realistic to think that we can simply overturn years of eating habits without it being one step forward, one step back, two steps forward, one step back.

Give yourself a hug (or at least a handshake), take a long, slow breath, and just take one step forward.
  • wi_maint_man
    wi_maint_man Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I can relate, but...... get on the scale and make a plan. I only weigh myself once a week, the fluctuations make me crazy, used to weigh every day and will probably get back to that after awhile.
  • uncosmical
    uncosmical Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I got a lifelong experience with depression and anxiety and I would recommend that you go as soon as possible with a professional. If you can't or don't want to go with a psychiatrist at least contact with a nutritionist to devise a plan that is feasible for you. Even if they can't help you to deal with obsessive eating, at least they can recommend you what to eat in order to don't put too much weight. And remember that this is not a situation that you can expect people that haven't experienced depression or anxiety to understand. You are probably overloaded with messages that it's all in your head or that is your choice to be this way, but mental health just doesn't work like that. Good luck and remember that you're not alone on this!
  • dramisea
    dramisea Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Definitely see someone about your situation! I've dealt with it my whole life, I was suicidal, I self harmed etc but don't be afraid. You need to see the scale in order to move on from it as much as it hurts right now. I also was diagnosed with binge eating disorder which is yes now classified as an eating disorder. Get help that's all i can say. I went through ups and downs for over a year and a half, I lost almost 15 lbs then gained it all back. It's a rollercoater, but you have to want it bad enough to seek help when needed and allow yourself to let it go, move on, start new and don't dread on the past because it won't change it. Stop the vicious cycle now and keep yourself accountable; for me that was logging all my food into MFP even when I ate terribly.. it's an eye opener to how much damage you're actually doing. As a requirement from my Dr, I do weigh myself every morning, same time, no clothes and it helps me now rather than hurting me. If I gained weight, I take a step back and think about all the variables that could play into why I gained. I *kitten* it, aim to fix it or give it time and I move forward. It's taken me soo long to get that mind set and I still mess up somedays and get down about it but that has never once helped me!

I know that was long but I hope it helps, and you're not alone! Don't listen to people who say just put the fork down, or just deal with it or if you know it doesn't solve anything then stop. There's a lot of us that understand that it's deeper than that
  • heathervallon
    heathervallon Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry you're going through what you are. Emotional eating doesn't help the emotions but it is self medicating. To self medicate my depression, I chose food and alcohol. DIdn't make things better. I just became a fat lady with a suicide plan and a taste for excellent wine. What did [help] was the support of my friends, children, physician and ultimately medication. I got my clarity back and with it, my motivation.

I think depression is a huge silent killer.

It's okay to ask for help. Please do. It may take a bit but it can get better. Feel free to add me and message me if you want to talk.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Facing the scale may put into perspective how far you've slid and light a fire to change your life style. It worked that way for me. Vowed to never see those numbers again
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Get on the scale.

Evaluate your diet- are you eating a lot because you're eating low nutrient foods so your body is searching for vitamins and not finding them so making you eat more? Are you eating a lot of carbs or sugar or salt which stimulates the appetite and causes eating past satiety? Are you eating too little protein?

Do you have any nutrient deficiencies like vitamin D deficiency, low magnesium, anemia? You need a simple blood test from a doctor to determine if you have any deficiencies but sometimes these can actually cause depression and/or over eating. You said you are depressed and emotional eating but don't know the cause- it could be physical rather than mental. I got depression and anxiety from a combo of having vitamin D deficiency and anemia- both are very common but often undiagnosed conditions, especially in women.