Vegetarian increasing protein, iron, calcium - please help

Options
Hi,

I've been a vegetarian for 11 years and I'm looking for suggestions of food with high amounts of protein, iron, and/or calcium. Any tips or easy recipes?

Thanks!

Replies

• butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Calcium. Any fortified milk replacement or just milk if you are vegetarian. Iron, protien. Textured soy meat or a vegan protien powder.
  • butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Nutritional yeast also
  • LisaVeganBHScNutrition
    Options
    Embrace things like your dark green leafy vegetables, nuts and seeds, legumes etc. Is there anything you can't eat? Nutritional yeast is a great idea to incorporate into your diet as well as its rich in b vitamins and is great for protein as well. Tahini, black strap molasses, and herbs and spices like parsley, turmeric, cinnamon etc are great sources of the nutrients you want too!
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Lentil kale soup.
  • FunSkittles
    FunSkittles Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    quinoa is a great protein source. fish, beans...
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    tofu for calcium and protein. iron lots of leafy greens and eat them with a rich source of vitamin C to increase absorption - so pasta with beans, kale and red pepper etc.
  • TAMMY7173
    TAMMY7173 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The new slim fast has 20 grams of protein and one gram of sugar. I drink two a day for my protein.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Vitamin C helps both calcium and iron absorb. Be careful not to over due the C, though. Calcium and iron can compete with binders for absorption, so try to eat them separately. And too much iron can cause constipation.

To be honest, I supplement. My doctor helps me with the timing and dosage.