Options
2»

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    mgalovic01 wrote: »
    I'm thinking that cycling is more conducive to hypertrophy, because you get greater muscle cell volumization through expansion. Plus I like the idea of getting some time off of it, since you never know what it could be contaminated with.

yeah; i wouldn't know. i just like a simple life so i started to take it and kept taking it, apart from now-and-then times where i got bored or just wasn't in the mood to drink that much water. volume isn't hypertrophy though. you can stuff your muscle cells with atp and the water it likes to hang out with, but that doesn't actually grow brand-new cells.

the occasional break just in case though - i can relate to that. not so much on the contaminant front as just because i do kind of like the idea of giving my [whatever organ] a break. just inb4 someone comes out with a study 'proving' long-term use makes you grow extra heads.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking that cycling is more conducive to hypertrophy, because you get greater muscle cell volumization through expansion. Plus I like the idea of getting some time off of it, since you never know what it could be contaminated with.

yeah; i wouldn't know. i just like a simple life so i started to take it and kept taking it, apart from now-and-then times where i got bored or just wasn't in the mood to drink that much water. volume isn't hypertrophy though. you can stuff your muscle cells with atp and the water it likes to hang out with, but that doesn't actually grow brand-new cells.

the occasional break just in case though - i can relate to that. not so much on the contaminant front as just because i do kind of like the idea of giving my [whatever organ] a break. just inb4 someone comes out with a study 'proving' long-term use makes you grow extra heads.

Though it might not grow new cells, it expands the ones you got. I wonder if it could be used to increase flexibility.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    xNausicaa wrote: »
    I'm breaking up my workout schedule because it's easy for my busy life. I plan on doing cardio in the morning and strength training in the evening. I'll have a protein shake after each, but is it a bad idea to take a pretty workout before each too? If not, which one would be more beneficial to have a preworkout for?

Do you need the pre-workout?
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Though it might not grow new cells, it expands the ones you got. I wonder if it could be used to increase flexibility.

it makes me feel great, that's for sure. my tissues glide more easily; i know they get less of the kinds of irritation and inflammation you get from friction alone. but for what my own experience is worth, it doesn't do anything about regular doms tenderness, i.e. the kind you get from plain lengthening and contraction. and it can't make trigger points disappear.

it's a bit weird that way.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Go back a step first.... Why do you think you need pre-workouts and post exercise protein shakes?

This.
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I used to be into pre- workouts. Not anymore. They're a waist of money from a results standpoint. I know they get you worked up, but I don't like that in my workout. I would take them in place of coffee in the morning. Now I drink black tea. I just feel like they'll burn you out.

These are all opinions, and forgive me for not fully valuing the opinion of someone who doesn't know the difference between "waist" and "waste". Based on all of your responses it seems you are dead set against any sort of supplement including whey protein. Unsure of what "contaminants" you continue to refer to unless you're buying some cheap brand from China. Use a company that is certified 3rd party tested (such as NutraBio or JYM) and you can eliminate these risks.

All that being said, using a PWO is a matter of personal preference and I agree with the need to cycle PWO but not creatine. The reason being more related to caffeine sensitivity than anything else.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    jmt08c wrote: »
    I used to be into pre- workouts. Not anymore. They're a waist of money from a results standpoint. I know they get you worked up, but I don't like that in my workout. I would take them in place of coffee in the morning. Now I drink black tea. I just feel like they'll burn you out.

These are all opinions, and forgive me for not fully valuing the opinion of someone who doesn't know the difference between "waist" and "waste". Based on all of your responses it seems you are dead set against any sort of supplement including whey protein. Unsure of what "contaminants" you continue to refer to unless you're buying some cheap brand from China. Use a company that is certified 3rd party tested (such as NutraBio or JYM) and you can eliminate these risks.

All that being said, using a PWO is a matter of personal preference and I agree with the need to cycle PWO but not creatine. The reason being more related to caffeine sensitivity than anything else.

Ever heard of a typo? I remember when Muscle Milk, which is top of the line, was found to be contaminated with heavy metals. Forgive me for not wearing a lab coat, but my personal opinions are all I have. I'm not against all supplements. I'm just saying it's impossible to know what they could be contaminated with.
  • ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I found pre- workouts ruined my workouts. They raise your heart rate, and wear you out. How are you supposed to go to sleep if you take it in the evening?

If you take a preworkout that focuses more on enabling your body to physically do more (muscle perfusion) instead of just amping you up with caffeine like most do then you will have a better workout and won't get worn out. I use Liporidex PRE/T in the evenings and I have no trouble sleeping.
  • xNausicaa
    xNausicaa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks for the replies