Chronic illness & finding motivation

Options
Need friends for motivation, I'm sitting on 220 and I need to get under 200 before year end, something I've never been able to do. I've been suffering with an undiagnosed chronic illness for the last year that looks like it will be possible diagnosed as fibromyalgia when the latest tests come back. My doctor is treating me as if it is and I'm finally feeling human again and am having trouble getting my motivation back. I was 240's and got down to a low of 205 2 years ago then rebounded to where I am now.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I hope they get your issue diagnosed and treated soon. Rather than shooting for a goal that you've never been able to achieve by year's end --and 20 lbs in 2.5 months is a little aggressive --why not shoot for a manageable and achievable goal, like 5 lbs by end of year. Then your success will work to further motivate you. You have a lot on your plate with an undiagnosed condition. If it is fibro, there will be a lot of new learning and adjustment. I encourage you set yourself up for success in weight loss, rather than trying to achieve the impossible.
  • BarbaraJatmfp
    BarbaraJatmfp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on keeping weight off. You are right to jump on it and want to get down to your previous low. I hope this diagnosis is right. I always feel better when I know what I am dealing with.

Twenty pounds by the end of the year may be a little aggressive. There are 11 Mondays between now and December 31. That is 1.8 pounds per week. That's a little high to keep up for almost three months. There is nothing wrong with setting a high goal and trying to achieve it, but I don't want you to get discouraged and drop out if you don't make it.

Keep us posted.
  • AnniesNest
    AnniesNest Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be added to the group. I also struggle with chronic pain and need support for eating well & getting gentle exercises.
  • waltzingaround11
    waltzingaround11 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Is there a fibro group? I'd love to join.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Mfp has a fibro group, but it's not too active.
  • Quilty60
    Quilty60 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Is there a group for chronic illnesses? Where do we find it? I have Systemic Lupus and would be interested also.
  • brucejei
    brucejei Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be added to the group, I struggle with the effects of lupus, it's been hard for me to lose weight and to deal with the fatigue.
  • AlissaLorton
    AlissaLorton Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi All, I have just set this group up - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/117149-fibromyalgia-cfs-lupus-and-any-other-chronic-illness as I was struggling to find one. Please feel free to join and chat :smiley:
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    I've got fibromyalgia. And it's very well possible to workout and be super fit even though you've got that chronic pain. <3
  • Ant488
    Ant488 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me.
  • s955
    s955 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with autoimmune. Add me if you would like and I will accept. Motivation and encouragement!
  • SarahDFox
    SarahDFox Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    HeyaBerg wrote: »
    I've got fibromyalgia. And it's very well possible to workout and be super fit even though you've got that chronic pain. <3

Sure, for some. Do you wanna share your wisdom?
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I was tested for Fibro before my lupus diagnosis. it's not fun. for whatever reason, be it just how my body functions nowadays, or the meds i take, but i really hold onto weight. it's taken me since march to lose 2 stones, but hey, i've lost 2 stones. i'm 188 now an would love to be 180 for christmas but i've stalled the last few weeks.

once you get your diagnosis, and on the right meds you'll feel a whole load better. i've started running 3 times a week and i love it. find something that works for you and go with it.

the good thing is youve done this before, you know you can lose weight.

anyhoo feel free to add me and i'll waffle at you some more. :)