Spartan sprint

Options
As motivation to get back into exercising I'm looking at doing a spartan race. Anyone here ever do 1?

Replies

• a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Anybody, I'd really like some input
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I've done 4: 1 Super and 3 Sprints. I might go for the Trifecta in 2017, but not sure yet. They get a little easier each time because I'm in a little better shape with every race.

When is your race?
  • fushu713
    fushu713 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've done 6 so far, 3 stadium (Sprint), 1 regular Sprint 1 Super, 1 Beast.

If you're intimidated for any reason, I'd recommend the Stadium Sprint to start. it's more cross-fit style exercises for the "obstacles". Think box jumps, push-ups, farmers carry, with some of their signatures thrown in like the spear throw and rope climb. The out-door ones will get you muddy and be straight up obstacles. All of them are fun though!
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've done a bunch. Don't be intimidated. As long as you run open class, you'll be fine. Plenty of people will be willing to help you if you need it.
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I've done 5, 2 sprints, 2 supers and 1 beast. They are awesome, lots of fun and makes you feel great when you cross that finish line. Run with a buddy or two and you can help each other with obstacles. People are very friendly and willing to help. Go for it!
  • rubrink
    rubrink Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've done 3 Sprints, a super, and a beast. Sprints are super fun, I seriously suggest doing them. Like mentioned before, if you can do it with a buddy or a group, it is better, just for help over some of the obstacles (stupid 8 foot wall).

Dont be too intimidated. I was really intimidated, but so happy I did my first one. I want to lose about 20 lbs before I do another one, just to make those walls easier
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Me and my 5 gfs just signed up for the Spartan Sprint for June 17th. That has got us all motivated. Now every other weekend we do a group workout together to ensure everyone is staying on track
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Options
    I did one in March of this year. It was so much fun! If I could do it again, I'd ditch my team though. LOL.
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    captbklee wrote: »
    I did one in March of this year. It was so much fun! If I could do it again, I'd ditch my team though. LOL.

@captbklee I hope you weren't annoying about it.

This girl I used to work with will not. stop. talking. about it. I swear, every post on instagram goes something like: "JUST SIGNED UP FOR MY FIFTH SPARTAN RACE NEXT YEAR! LOOKING FOR ONE MORE!! #SPARTANLIFE #FITLIFE #BEAST"

It's all too much lol.

However, OP, I've heard they're fun. I'm just too lazy to go and find one to join B)

I am that girl.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    captbklee wrote: »

@captbklee I hope you weren't annoying about it.

I don't think anyone knew I was running it until the day after I finished. And only then because I twisted my ankle. I guess that's another tip: Don't show off. It hurts.
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'm trying to recruite others to go as I DO not want to run it by myself.

Did you train specifically for their obstacles, say practice throwing a spear of did you just wing it? Also, I'll be doing 21 day fix plus some hiking on weekends. Do you think that's good or do I need to step it up? (Already at goal weight, just need to get into exercising again, get fit again).

I hear "do upper body" which I suck at, what exercises would be best?

Thanks for any info
  • alipsie19
    alipsie19 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I just did my first one the day before Halloween. It was a blast. My kids told me I needed to get out of the house and start living again. I didn't train for it, so it was probably tougher that it should have been. Fortunately, there were plenty of people on the course to motivate me along the way!
    I highly recommend it. As for training, definitely hiking and running. As for strength, I seem to remember there being a lot more "pull" events than "push" events, so rows and pull-ups should probably be a staple for you. And then, of course, burpees, burpees, burpees!

I liked it so much I have already signed up for an all Texas Trifecta in 2017! Sprint in Houston, Super in Austin, and the Beast in Dallas.

Feel free to add me.
  • HanaHikari
    HanaHikari Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've done a sprint, and I did it literally two weeks after I decided to get healthy. Even being extremely out of shape I still completed it, it did take me a lot longer, and I was sore for 5 days, but it was SO worth it. I did the following year as well and then missed a year due to an accident. This year though I'm going back :smiley:
  • alipsie19
    Options
    @HanaHikari
    Glad your healthy again and back at it
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Options
    I didn't train for anything, because I'm awesome and everything just works out for me most of the time. :D
    The spear throw bit me in the butt, though. If you can, I'd train for that. Perhaps grip strength on monkey bars and ropes, too if you're feeling weak in that area. 25 burpees are way harder and more miserable than any obstacle.
  • alipsie19
    Options
    @a_candler
    So how's the training coming along?