Nuts!

Options
I recently got a blood test done and my doctor told me that my cholesterol was a little high (not too bad, but above average). She suggested I restrict my intake to around 1200 cals daily. I've already been doing this for a while, but since my goal on the site was always at around 1700-2000 I realized that I was probably eating more fat than I should. I got it adjusted down to 1310, which also lowered the amount of fat I'm allowed to have daily.

My question for you all today is about nuts. Almonds and cashews in particular. We always have mixed nuts handy and I eat them almost daily. This, of course, causes my fat intake to go up and most of the time I end up being over my fat goal by a few grams. Although the fat in nuts is considered to be good fat, would it still be detrimental to my efforts if I continued to eat them frequently?

Replies

• Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Start taking Krill oil it'll lower your cholesterol a lot!!! It's better than fish/flaxseed oil but, it's about 3x as much cost wise.
  • Misty1777
    Misty1777 Posts: 29
    Options
    Start taking Krill oil it'll lower your cholesterol a lot!!! It's better than fish/flaxseed oil but, it's about 3x as much cost wise.

Thanks for the tip on Krill.

Nuts in moderation are good for you. I think cashews are one of the fattier nuts though, so maybe if you stick to almonds, pastachios and walnuts it might help a little.
  • mklarson62
    Options
    I love cashews, but have now completely eliminated them from my diet as they are highly processed with an assortment of salts and trans fats. Cashews and Almonds contain different kinds of fat, and are typically processed quite differently. Cashews on the whole should be eliminated completely, but raw alomonds are fine. I sometimes throw some almonds in my toaster oven and dry roast them. This gives them a nice crunch without the added salt, sugar, trans fats and other seasonings that commercially roasted nuts have.