Maintaining muscle definition

SDH15
SDH15 Posts: 35
edited 7:53PM in Fitness and Exercise
My exercise comes in waves..........I usually work out pretty hard in the summer, lose 15-20 lbs and then proceed to put it all back on in the Winter. Every now and then I hit the gym and I see the same people there - these people go day in and day out and have been going for years. These people look great, but they do generally look the same (muscle and definition wise) as when I first saw them three years ago. My question is, is it really that hard to maintain muscle definition? This summer im planning on going all the way and getting that 6 pack. But I know without a doubt, my exercise frequency will dip during the winter. If I eat well during the winter months but do minimal exercise ... will I lose most to all the definition I build up this summer?

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Yes workout even when others cant see it. Your significant other will thank you.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    i've been told by many if you eat a lot of protein while trying to lose fat, it will help maintain your muscle. don't know if it's accurate, but i do that. hope that helps a little!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    My exercise comes in waves..........I usually work out pretty hard in the summer, lose 15-20 lbs and then proceed to put it all back on in the Winter. Every now and then I hit the gym and I see the same people there - these people go day in and day out and have been going for years. These people look great, but they do generally look the same (muscle and definition wise) as when I first saw them three years ago. My question is, is it really that hard to maintain muscle definition? This summer im planning on going all the way and getting that 6 pack. But I know without a doubt, my exercise frequency will dip during the winter. If I eat well during the winter months but do minimal exercise ... will I lose most to all the definition I build up this summer?

If you don't use it you lose it. That being said, once you get to a certain point it is easier to get back to that point then it was to get there the first time (muscle memory). So you will probably lose muscle size and definition over the winter but it will come back quicker the following year.
  • Misty1777
    Misty1777 Posts: 29
    Yes, you should still keep some type of tonning regimen. I've read that it only takes two weeks to start losing muscle tone once you stop.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Yes, you need to keep at it to keep (or increase) your muscle. If you want to gain muscle, you need to eat more in addition to lifting heavy. I go through cycles...cut and bulk, usually cut during the summer when I want to be leaner and bulk in the winter when I want to keep regenerating muscle. (When I talk of bulking I basically eat 250 calories over maintenance for a couple of months, usually gain 5 pounds (mostly muscle) then lose it back again. This keeps the body guessing and your metabolism revved.
This discussion has been closed.