More Salt

Options
I went to the doctor yesterday and they took my blood pressure and it was 95/51 and my doctor suggested I increase my sodium. I wasn't too suprised since I usually have low blood pressure but it feels like lately its been a little lower since I started MFP and watch my sodium and work out 5 days a week. I'm just curious what other people in this situation do to increase their blood pressure (I know usual right?). I already salt things pretty well so maybe their something you take to help or certain foods with more sodium that I am not aware of?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2016
    Options
    My wife has POTS and she has to eat 10,000mg of salt a day. She needs so much salt, that she salts bacon... true story.

Just add salt to everything. And if you are afraid of some water retention, also increase potassium and magnesium. This will help provide balance to your electrolytes.
  • mari5466
    mari5466 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I was worried about that as well. I mean I only have 5 pounds to lose so I am not worried but it was a thought I had.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I would talk to a dietitian (not a nutritionist as registered dietitians are required to complete a formal education program that results in at least a baccalaureate degree).

I always question doctors and get 2nd options to make sure the advice is good.
  • psuLemon
    edited November 2016
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    I would talk to a dietitian (not a nutritionist as registered dietitians are required to complete a formal education program that results in at least a baccalaureate degree).

Not sure what you would be questioning, 95/51 is a fairly low blood pressure.
  • mari5466
    Options
    Thats a good idea! Yeah I have RD on my insurance plan.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Just start using salt as a seasoning. Or soy sauce. I normally have low blood pressure, when I restrict salt too much I get light headed easily. So I put salt on something. I don't normally use alot of salt.
  • cee134
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

It just seems counter intuitive if he is otherwise healthy. It just depends on the circumstances, but I personally have had some bad advice from doctors, but also good advice (not from the same doctor that gave me bad advice).
  • psuLemon
    edited November 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

It just seems counter intuitive if he is otherwise healthy. It just depends on the circumstances, but I personally have had some bad advice from doctors, but also good advice (not from the same doctor that gave me bad advice).

If you look at the blood pressure charts, the OP is clinically in the range of low blood pressure. And salt is only a health concern when you are hypertensive. Also, since the OP is active, their body requires additional salt to balance her bodies electrolytes.

Not suggesting to not get a second opinion, but not sure it will provide any additional insight into.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    In the past I've been told that by my doc as well, when my blood pressure was low enough that I would get dizzy standing up from a seated position (my lowest measure was 90/58). I don't eat lots of processed foods, so it basically gave me the green light to not worry about salt anymore. I was also told to make sure to drink enough non-alcoholic fluids, because dehydration can also contribute to low blood pressure. Good luck.
  • cee134
    Options
    OP - I would be interested in finding out if this works for you. I am trying to lower my BP but by focusing more on saturated fats (and processed foods) then sodium.
  • mari5466
    Options
    NEOHgirl wrote: »
    In the past I've been told that by my doc as well, when my blood pressure was low enough that I would get dizzy standing up from a seated position (my lowest measure was 90/58). I don't eat lots of processed foods, so it basically gave me the green light to not worry about salt anymore. I was also told to make sure to drink enough non-alcoholic fluids, because dehydration can also contribute to low blood pressure. Good luck.

I think water consumption might be attributing to it. I usually only drink water and since starting MFP very minimal alcohol (I don't like to drink my calories), I usually take a glass every morning at work and keep filling it up but I don't think its enough for the amount of exercise I do as well.
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If you're working out 5 days/week you're losing a good amount of salt in your sweat too OP. If you're now tracking your sodium there's a good chance you are eating considerably less than before.