Weighing Hamburger helper

Options
Ok so now that I can eat normally again (pregnancy) I have a major craving for hamburger helper.

I'm not interested in weighing everything individually. I just want a general weight I guess.

My lean found beef is roughly a pound (we bought 3 pounds and divided it) and I'll be measuring the milk with cups.

Anyway on mfp it says a cup prepared is 330 calories. OK and a cup is 250ml.

But also it had the option of fluid oz on mfp...either 8 or by 1oz. But how can I use fluid oz when HH isn't liquid?

Should I just weigh out 250ml for a cup then?

Again I'm not looking for exact calories, just a better estimate.

Replies

• MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    HH is a staple in our household, my husband loves it. For me, a cup is about 230 g, depending on the type, I sometimes throw a can of corn in there. I generally fill the measuring cup, then add it to my bowl on a tared kitchen scale.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You cannot weigh 250 ml. A cup of a solid is a volume measure easily done if you have a physical cup. As the density is variable you can't assume a 250 ml cup contains 250g it is likely to be less (200g of sugar for example).
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    does the box have a cup and then a g weight in brackets? (i tend to use the latter as a more accurate measure)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Prepare it, measure out a one cup serving with a measuring cup, and log it that way.

Or prepare it, then see how many servings the label says are in the box. Let's say 4, so weigh the whole finished product, divide the grams by 4 to get the estimated weight of one serving size, and then weigh out your portion.

Sometimes the options in the database are bizarre and you should ignore them like liquid measurements for solid food!
  • babypunkprincess
    babypunkprincess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Prepare it, measure out a one cup serving with a measuring cup, and log it that way.

Or prepare it, then see how many servings the label says are in the box. Let's say 4, so weigh the whole finished product, divide the grams by 4 to get the estimated weight of one serving size, and then weigh out your portion.

Sometimes the options in the database are bizarre and you should ignore them like liquid measurements for solid food!

I like the second way! That way I can get my grams:) Thanks!