Do you shop groceries online?

Options

Replies

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I have shopped for groceries online for years. I am in the UK and I buy my groceries from Morrison's at the moment but I have tried Tesco and Asda in the past. The main benefits are:

1. It helps me to budget as I am not tempted by walking past attractive displays

2. I can check the Nutrition content easily and am not blocking an aisle while I read the tiny writing on everything.

3. They come to me in all weathers, and sometimes I am in pain and they will bring the shopping in and put it on the table for me.

4. It takes approx. 20 minutes to do my shopping online where it would take me at least 2 hours with travelling time to go to the Supermarket

5. Once a month I also order my meat/high protein products online from Muscle Foods. This comes in an insulated box with ice packs and is much better quality than supermarket although a little more expensive.

Personally I find it a great time saver. I can spend more time doing the things I like. Morrison's produce is pretty good and delicate things like bananas come wrapped in bubble wrap. They also refund you for your plastic bags when you recycle them. Hardly ever substitute and usually have everything in stock. Also give you points so every couple of months I get a five pound voucher to take off my shopping.

Having said all this I do occasionally shop at local markets and farm shops for more artisanal products or locally produced seasonal produce. I live near Cheddar Gorge so Cheddar cheese and Strawberries from there is a yummy must have.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I can't get past the idea of someone else picking out my produce.

Not something I'm willing to trust to someone else.

When we've ordered groceries from Safeway, they would toss whatever produce they had into our box and ship it. It wasn't what the person would actually want to eat. Maybe they reserved the worst produce they had for deliveries, since you have to accept the whole order before you can inspect anything - captive audience.

On the other hand, there's a local company that specializes in good produce. They act like their reputation is on the line, and deliver. It works very well for us. Beth looks forward to the delivery.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I don't use them exclusively, just now and then, mostly when my agoraphobia is through the roof. With produce, I just figure supermarket produce is so standardised now that it's all much of a muchness.

I am also lucky enough to have a baker, a cheese/charcuterie/fine booze shop, a new fancy chocolatier, I basically live above a grocers and a Saturday market two minutes away with more local producers to support and get artisanal stuff from. I am very very spoiled here!
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Yes, in the UK, mostly from Sainsburys, a few times from Waitrose when they have a special deal, but they have two hour timeslots, cost more (if not on a deal), and an early deadline for ordering or changing an order, so are nowhere near as good in general. Nice wine selection though.

I used to use online orders more before I learned to drive a couple of years ago. Mostly, the produce is of a very high standard, and if you have complaints, they are generous in their refunds. There are a few things where I'd prefer to be able to make my own choices WRT sizes etc.

I just got a £20 voucher off annual deliveries (so it'd be £40), and am debating whether to use it. But I've been using Aldi, Lidl and the market quite a bit recently, because they are cheaper.

I do find I plan better and more economically when making an online order, rather than shopping in meatspace.
  • ShammersPink
    Options
    Also - great for getting an order delivered to a holiday let at the start of the holiday.
  • Jeannie3099
    Jeannie3099 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use my local market's online service which delivers the groceries right to the trunk of your car! I like to choose my own fresh produce though and the bread also. Mainly I use it in the winter when getting to the store in a snowstorm is tricky.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I have a few times. My main issue is selection and I don't really like them picking my cut of meat or produce (plus it's very vague and you can get a package that's too small if it's freshly made in store). And I like going to the store.

But in a pinch, yeah, definitely. I did it more often when I lived in Paris and didn't want to carry bags of potatoes or water in the bus, lol.
  • bexilashious
    bexilashious Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm in the uk and I get all my lean meat from www.musclefood.com
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I do a lot! I have a standard list I use each week and pick up my groceries on Saturday mornings. It keeps us on budget and I only purchase what I have planned for meals and snacks.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I buy bulk household supplies and some stuff for the kids lunches through boxed.com and everything else I purchase in person
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I use Woolworths Click and Collect here, except for fresh produce and some meats. I find it convenient and time-saving and it helps enormously since I'm not dragging my tired self through the supermarket on a Friday night after work when I'm more likely to grab stuff that is harder to fit into my calorie allowance. It also saves me money.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one who secretly loves grocery shopping haha. Our Sobeys offers grocery delivery but the fee is high and I really do enjoy choosing my own produce, etc.
    I love it too.

HEB charges for the service and Kroger is within walking distance. I have no reason to do basic grocery shopping online

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Yes, its a great way to budget for the weekly shop.
    I have used Tesco/Asda and currently Sainsburys. I am sticking with the latter as they faithfully give me products that have a long use by date.
    Once you do the first online shop, the chore out of listing all your food items is minimised. And there's no impulse buying, win win.

I also buy clothes/footwear online, I love being able to try things on in my own home.
  • LexiLuLexi
    LexiLuLexi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do, once a month for all my meat, poultry, almond milk and any canned or frozen things. Then every week I buy all my vegetables fresh from my local grocers. I don't drive, therefore buying the heavy stuff online saves me lots of hassle.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I wish stores around me offered this!
  • EternalSnow627_
    EternalSnow627_ Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I do I've been using the shipt website I can have it done from Kroger or meijers. It cuts the bill so much
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    when I lived in the UK I used Sainsbury's. It was pretty good and stopped me from making impulse chocolate buys. Although the 'substitution' thing tended to be a bit random. My favourite being the time I ordered two cans of mandarin segments, but the store didn't have any in at that time, so substituted with two cans of cat food. We didn't have a cat, so I'm not too sure what was going on there. The neighbour's cat was happy to take them off my hands.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Walmart's free grocery pickup is fantastic. I was concerned about the produce and meat too but it's not an issue. They seem to pick out better quality items than what's in the store. They also keep produce, eggs, and meat seperate for you to inspect before they load it into your car. You don't have to buy it if you don't like it. I imagine they will go in and replace it if you want but I've never had anything bad yet. You can choose to have items substituted or not. They always upgrade with a substitution never down or lower quality and you are only charged for your originally priced item. That's nice too. I've gotten several brand name items for the generic price because they were out of the generic I ordered. I am in and out of the parking lot in 5 minutes with $100+ of groceries a week. Love it!
  • ShammersPink
    Options
    I am disappointed that we never get any of the wacky substitutions from Sainsbury. Surrey pickers must be very unimaginative.

We do sometimes get subs we don't want, in which case, I just give them back to the delivery man who scans them and refunds them.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I buy nonperishable foods online that I like and can't find locally or are cheaper online. I buy from Amazon and Fiber Gourmet regularly. I have occasionally bought from Walmart.com. My husband orders hot sauce online regularly.