Knee pain with new running shoes...

Options
So I experienced some severe knee pain recently while running with a new pair of running shoes. I was due for a new pair, especially since my last pair had been worn for almost a year and I was putting somewhere between 15-20miles/week on them that entire time!

Just curious what I might be doing wrong. I bought the same brand as before but a different style (Asics Cumulus or Nimbus-can't remember exactly which style). The heels are pretty stiff so I was trying to put more weight on the balls of my feet like I should, and it made me run a little different than before. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Maybe I was running wrong with the old shoes? These shoes don't feel very good right now, so I hope they just need to be broken in a little.

Please help!

Replies

• leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    So I experienced some severe knee pain recently while running with a new pair of running shoes. I was due for a new pair, especially since my last pair had been worn for almost a year and I was putting somewhere between 15-20miles/week on them that entire time!

Just curious what I might be doing wrong. I bought the same brand as before but a different style (Asics Cumulus or Nimbus-can't remember exactly which style). The heels are pretty stiff so I was trying to put more weight on the balls of my feet like I should, and it made me run a little different than before. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Maybe I was running wrong with the old shoes? These shoes don't feel very good right now, so I hope they just need to be broken in a little.

Please help!

Could be the wrong style for your feet or have you striking the ground in the incorrect area. You knees also could be used to your old shoes sounds like thet where pretty worn.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You should go to a running store and be fitted for shoes. Shoes come in different styles based on your foot structure and how much support you need. The wrong shoe can cause knee pain like you describe. They are probably not the right shoe for you.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'd take those shoes back, if you can, and get a different style. Running differently can definitely impact your knees. If you have a running store in your area, have them fit you for the shoes that match your foot shape and running style. Your knees, feet and ankles will thank you!