Whats the difference between spaghetti bolognaise and spaghetti and meatballs?

Options
Like could you technically use the same ingredients?

We don't tend to eat spaghetti and meatballs much here. As far as I can tell, the meat is rolled into balls and separated from the pasta (tomato) sauce.

Are there any other differences?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    that's about the short of it. Bolognaise tends to be made with ground meat, and in Spag & meatballs, the ground meat is rolled into balls.

I prefer the bolognaise, less work and I find the inside of the meatballs gets dry.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Meatballs usually contain eggs, breadcrumbs, milk etc. So the ingredients are a bit different
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about the difference for the purposes of logging, I don't think you can assume the calories and macros will be the same -- I think there's generally more meat in spaghetti and meatballs than in a similar size serving of spaghetti bolognese.

If you're making the bolognese sauce yourself, the best thing would be to enter your recipe into MFP.
  • magicpickles
    magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about the difference for the purposes of logging, I don't think you can assume the calories and macros will be the same -- I think there's generally more meat in spaghetti and meatballs than in a similar size serving of spaghetti bolognese.

If you're making the bolognese sauce yourself, the best thing would be to enter your recipe into MFP.

Not what I'm asking at all, but thanks.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Bolognese is a sauce made with meat and veggies. Meatballs are ground meat, egg, and breadcrumbs... and you still need a sauce with them.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

Francl27 wrote: »
    Bolognese is a sauce made with meat and veggies. Meatballs are ground meat, egg, and breadcrumbs... and you still need a sauce with them.

Well, I've never seen spaghetti and meatballs served without a tomato-based sauce. It's part of the dish, even if it's not in the name. Like a BLT has bread, even if that's not in the name.

But the eggs and breadcrumbs are a good point.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Would the meatballs be accompanied by milk?
    @SideSteel
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    Would the meatballs be accompanied by milkshakes?
    @SideSteel

Blech!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    @SideSteel

# milkandmeatballs
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    @SideSteel

# milkandmeatballs

I had that at first!
    Still haven't ordered my shirt yet!
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    People, People! My old friend Algernon Faldutti's Mama Mia (grandmother) used to make them just like Mario's, like this:

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/marios-meatballs-mario-batali

And her marinara, too:

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/basic-tomato-sauce-mario-batali

Now...for Bolognese...Here...this is as authentic as anything I've ever eaten:

http://foodnouveau.com/recipes/how-tos/how-to-make-an-authentic-bolognese-sauce/

I hope you try these. I hope you like them.

Mangiare!
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Bolognese is a meat sauce,sometimes has red wine, and begins with a sautee of onion, carrots, celery. The recipe I like has heavy cream added at the end.