Ketogenic diet and lack of hunger

Options
I started the ketogenic diet about a week ago. I haven't done perfect on the ratios with the proteins and fats, but I have been good with keeping my carbs low. Anyway, I knew this diet was supposed to make you less hungry, but I am literally to the point where I don't want to eat at all. I'm having to force myself to even get calories through high calorie foods, and I just feel blah about eating. Is this normal and will it subside some? I want to lose weight, but I don't want eating to feel like torture.

Replies

• s955
    s955 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi! Yes it is normal. You become where you have a taste for nothing, Carbs got the best of me I was needing them because I became sluggish. I fell out of Keto so their is such a fine balance to stay in Keto. I like the Macros on FP. Friend me if you would like. Motivation for one another! :)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Why do you need keto to lose weight? Is it medically advised?

Everyone will lose weight with a calorie deficit.
  • missourinurse
    missourinurse Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    On a Keto diet your body switches the fuel it burns. From a surger burner to a fat burner. Lots of good educational videos on You Tube by Dominique D' Agnostino and others with research degrees that can help you to understand it. I won't attempt it. I personally don't want to fight the hungries of a calorie deficit sugar burning diet. It does help with hunger. To each their own, though. Eating is a very personal activity, we have different tastes and we can't dictate what another eats unless we run a jail or prison.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    For some yes, for others no...
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Why do you need keto to lose weight? Is it medically advised?

Everyone will lose weight with a calorie deficit.

Ok I'll take the bait. Between a keto diet and a more mainstream macro split, given an relatively steep identical weekly deficit, many people find the keto diet easier to adhere to.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The lost appetite usually passes. Eventually. But most still find their appetite is reduced and cravings are gone.

I would just go with it for now. If you eat very little for a few days, my guess is that your appetite will return. If it doesn't return after a few days, try eating LCHF foods and see how you do.... Start with bacon. That's not often considered torture. ;)