Help! I'M GAINING WEIGHT!

Options
Hello, I'm on a journey to lose quite a bit of weight.
I workout 5 or 6 days a week, for 30-45 minutes. I do cardio with wrist and ankle weights. I also do some strength training with 10 lb dumbbells.
I do watch what I eat. I won't say I do well 100% of the time but I always log in everything I munch on. Even if I go over my calorie budget.
I weigh myself a lot and every day. I went from 197 when I started to 192 and now I'm 211. What happened? Why do I weigh so much? This is the highest I've ever seen the scale. I was 189 last month! Please help.

Replies

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    If it's a new exercise routine, you will gain water weight as your body adjusts to the new activity. Do you use a food scale?
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale, and weight all of your food?
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Hi :) if you're confident your logging is A+, then I would download Happy Scale on your smartphone - you will be able to see an overall trend (either weight gain or weight loss) and it will smooth out any jumps from water retention, TOM if you're a lady, etc.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Stop going over your calories. Drink a bunch of water and avoid salty foods. Keep up the exercise but don't forget to get adequate rest as well. See how your weight is in a month from now.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Focus more on hitting your calories and less on the workouts. Use a food scale. Don't weigh yourself multiple times a day. Every time you eat, drink, use the bathroom, change clothes, your weight changes. Most weigh first thing in the morning after using the bathroom. All that being said, I'm wondering how long you've been at this, because your numbers are over the place and don't really make sense.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I workout 5 or 6 days a week, for 30-45 minutes. I do cardio with wrist and ankle weights. I also do some strength training with 10 lb dumbbells.
    I do watch what I eat. I won't say I do well 100% of the time but I always log in everything I munch on. Even if I go over my calorie budget.
    I weigh myself a lot and every day. I went from 197 when I started to 192 and now I'm 211. What happened? Why do I weigh so much? This is the highest I've ever seen the scale. I was 189 last month! Please help.

If I'm reading right, you are saying you gained 22 lbs in one month? That would be really hard to do, even as a combination of weight gain, exercise related water retention, and TOM bloating. Did your weight shoot up all of a sudden to 211, or has it been steadily climbing throughout the month? What is your height and goal weight?

If you are willing to open your diary it would be easier to get an idea if any of the issue is diet related. Are you using a food scale at all?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you have gained 22lbs in a month, you would have to have eaten 3000 calories over your maintenance every day.

I would suggest seeing a doctor.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    If you have gained 22lbs in a month, you would have to have eaten 3000 calories over your maintenance every day.

I would suggest checking the accuracy of your scale. Did the same scale show a 22 lb gain, or are you comparing results from different scales? One (or both) might be off.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I would suggest checking the accuracy of your scale. Did the same scale show a 22 lb gain, or are you comparing results from different scales? One (or both) might be off.

OP, this is a good point. You said you weigh yourself a lot - does this mean different scales and at different times of day? You should weigh yourself on the same scale, at the same time of day.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Also only weigh yourself first thing in the morning naked after going to the bathroom.

And hate to say this but it's great you are logging all you eat but that doesn't magically mean you will lose weight, you have to actually eat within your calorie goal too. You said you tend to go over. Stop that. You won't lose weight going over your calorie goal, no matter how much exercise you do. Also don't eat back exercise calories either.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Just a point about ankle and wrist weights. They really shouldn't be used for anything other than things like arm raises and leg lifts of the pilates kind. Hanging weights from your extremities then swinging them about is not good. If you want to say, run with extra weights, get a weighted vest.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    May be a silly question, but did you change scales? Or test your current one for accuracy? Weighing everything and picking accurate food entries in the database are vital. I suspect you're eating more than you think. And if your exercise level or eating habits changed recently, you may be retaining water.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Just a point about ankle and wrist weights. They really shouldn't be used for anything other than things like arm raises and leg lifts of the pilates kind. Hanging weights from your extremities then swinging them about is not good. If you want to say, run with extra weights, get a weighted vest.

She's right--it can damage your joints. If you want to add resistance to cardio, wear a weighted vest and keep the added resistance at your core.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options