Any Garmin users?

Options
Hey just wondering if anyone else is using a Garmin and the Connect app in conjunction with MFP?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I am. I have a Forerunner 220 HRM, not an activity tracker. Connect automatically syncs my runs with MFP.
  • thenewmanda
    thenewmanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have a forerunner as well I manually enter mine though because I follow if it fits your macros and I don't want it messing with my grams lol
  • emhindman
    emhindman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do! I have a Vivoactive and it automatically connects to MFP. I love it!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I am. I currently have the Vivoactive HR.
  • terrybartlettmsn
    Options
    I have the Garmin Fenix 3. It auto syncs with Garmin Connect. Once auto sync'd, it goes directly to mfp.
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options
    I have the Garmin Vivoactive HR too. Does anyone understand the "exercise adjustments"? I have been trying to figure it out and am totally lost.........
  • rprr
    rprr Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I too just got one and am trying to figure this one out.
  • _NMW
    _NMW Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    FR35 here, used it for a few weeks but only just synced to MFP so we'll see how well it syncs after my next workout.
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Vivoactive HR here, I'm very pleased with it!
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased the Vivoactive and really like it. Lots of functionality and nice and thin so I can wear it to work. You can get factory refurbs on Amazon for $99.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Vivoactive HR too. Does anyone understand the "exercise adjustments"? I have been trying to figure it out and am totally lost.........

So you entered all your information to MFP and it spits out a daily calorie goal based upon how many calories it thinks you will burn today. Your Garmin records actual data and says what you are actually burning. Whenever you sync the two numbers are compared, and the difference is the exercise adjustment.

Some say it works better than others. I find it to be spot on. I set my activity level to sedentary In MFP. Be aware if you sync a lot during the day the number will always be changing. If you don't sync often and have negative calorie adjustments enabled you may be in for a surprise when you sync as the number can change significantly.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I`ve been using Garmin products for years.......keeps my distances honest, tracks pace & HR and some of their models have a fairly reliable algorithm for estimating energy expenditure. (Santa`s not very good at keeping secrets, I know I`m getting a 920xt for Christmas)

Garmin Connect is very useful and I have my synched with MFP.
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options

So you entered all your information to MFP and it spits out a daily calorie goal based upon how many calories it thinks you will burn today. Your Garmin records actual data and says what you are actually burning. Whenever you sync the two numbers are compared, and the difference is the exercise adjustment.

Some say it works better than others. I find it to be spot on. I set my activity level to sedentary In MFP. Be aware if you sync a lot during the day the number will always be changing. If you don't sync often and have negative calorie adjustments enabled you may be in for a surprise when you sync as the number can change significantly.

I thought that was supposed to be how it worked....LOL Yesterday on my garmin I was at 1955 and mfp gives me 1200, so it should have been like 755 right? I got 660, so I guess it is somewhat accurate. I also don't sync all the time either. Thanks I appreciate the information!!!!!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Fenix 3 HR on order, plan to receive it and get switched over from Fitbit within the next week or so.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Do you wear your tracker all the time? If so, set your MFP activity to the lowest level. I've got a Vivosmart HR (don't recommend it, too many software issues) and through trial and error, I've found I need to set the activity level in Connect to 7 while setting MFP's activity to the lowest setting. I use a chest strap when using the treadmill, but I don't link t to MFP. So if I sync before and after I use the treadmill, I get one number in Connect that seems low, but the MFP number is close to what the chest strap shows. Seems counter intuitive for me but it's working.
    Planning to replace mine if Garmin doesn't fix a couple of software issues with the VSHR. Waiting until the new year. Might get the VAHR, as it seems to have less issues, or go to a Polar. I want HR and real waterproof, may even get GPS if I start running outside.
  • rprr
    rprr Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    @grmckenzie -- Thanks for your reply.

While I am not the OP, but I do wear my VAHR tracker all the time. Originally, I had set MFP to Sedentary with 3 workouts/week and 30 mins per exercise as I did not have a tracker and was manually entering workouts into MFP. Now I have removed the exercise levels from MFP and let the GC do its thing. The calorie numbers showed between MFP and GC seem consistent but I suppose there is not an easy way of knowing if they are both accurate. On GC, my activity level is set to 6.

But I'm liking my VAHR so far. It's only been three days but hopefully the motivation will continue.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    Gonna bump this to ask if anyone has the data coming from Garmin Connect to MFP accurately?

As of Black Friday, I've got the VAHR. And I've been playing with the settings in GC to see how close I can get to what my Polar strap says. Still have MFP set at the lowest level with minimal exercise.

So, set GC to 10. 25 mins on the treadmill. Polar shows 246 cals. GC & MFP shows 294 for the same activity. I've got my weight the same in all 3 (MFP, GC & Polar). ~20% difference.

HR recorded are:
    Polar Max 137, ave 126
    GC Max 137, ave 122

Am I chasing my tail or can I get it closer then this?

And rprr, feel free to pick your forum to respond in :)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    grmckenzie wrote: »
    Gonna bump this to ask if anyone has the data coming from Garmin Connect to MFP accurately?

As of Black Friday, I've got the VAHR. And I've been playing with the settings in GC to see how close I can get to what my Polar strap says. Still have MFP set at the lowest level with minimal exercise.

So, set GC to 10. 25 mins on the treadmill. Polar shows 246 cals. GC & MFP shows 294 for the same activity. I've got my weight the same in all 3 (MFP, GC & Polar). ~20% difference.

HR recorded are:
    Polar Max 137, ave 126
    GC Max 137, ave 122

Am I chasing my tail or can I get it closer then this?

And rprr, feel free to pick your forum to respond in :)

I just transitioned from Fitbit to Garmin less than 24 hours ago and haven't had a logged activity yet. However, I can tell you from almost 2.5 years with Fitbit and MFP that activity trackers will not show the same calorie burn as MFP's estimate. I always assumed that the activity tracker is more accurate because it knows about differences such as running at 6.196 mph for 41:44 rather than logging a MFP activity to run at 6 mph for 41 min. Also, MFP doesn't figure HR, which is a way for elevation changes to become included. So I would automatically assume MFP is of lowest quality of data. As for Polar vs. Garmin, I'm not sure.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    My Garmin is connected to MFP. So I'm not estimating calories in MFP, but it is taking the Garmin numbers and making it's own adjustments.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    grmckenzie wrote: »
    My Garmin is connected to MFP. So I'm not estimating calories in MFP, but it is taking the Garmin numbers and making it's own adjustments.

Isn't that the entire day, then? The way mine is connected to MFP takes all activity reported to MFP for the entire day and then MFP makes adjustments based on everything... not just a single activity.