I'm looking to get a fitness tracker, but.....

Options
I'm looking to get a fitness tracker but I don't have a whole lot of $$$.

Any suggestions for a pretty accurate one?

Replies

• 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Saw a video of HRMs being lab tested. In order of most to least accurate:
    1. Microsoft Pulse
    2. Apple iWatch
    3. FitBit
    4. Garmin

Wish I still had the link to that video...
  • light_bloom
    light_bloom Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I bought my fitbit hr on ebay for like $45 (not sure if that's in your price range?). It was new, too. I would check ebay and other reseller sites once you've decided what you want since it does knock a pretty big chunk off the price (just make sure you check the reputation of the seller first).
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    1. Microsoft Pulse
    2. Apple iWatch
    3. FitBit
    4. Garmin

Um, which Garmin?

I don't really believe that any Fitbit is more accurate at tracking heart rate than either of my chest straps.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    As someone with a Garmin Vivosmart HR, I can't recommend it at all. Other Garmin units are better, but the Vivosmart HR has a bunch of issues (software mostly) that Garmin seems to have no interest in fixing. I'm going to replace it in the New Year.
  • fatkid1110
    fatkid1110 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have the UA Activity Tracker, so far it's been great. 150$
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options
    I have the Garmin Vivoactive and LOVE it!! :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Kaysteroni wrote: »
    I'm looking to get a fitness tracker but I don't have a whole lot of $$$.

Any suggestions for a pretty accurate one?

Given that budget is tight, can I ask what you hope to gain from it?

What I'd say is that the discussion of HR monitoring above isn't really relevant to the vast majority of people. It's a marketing point to sell more expensive units, and many don't do the type of training that benefits from understanding heart rate.

I do have a Garmin VivoSmart HR, but I'm not really a huge advocate of the value. I'd say save your money unless you have a real reason to get one.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    1. Microsoft Pulse
    2. Apple iWatch
    3. FitBit
    4. Garmin

So presumably you mean optical HR tracking, rather than electrical?

I'd ask what controls were applied, how the baseline was measured, what conditions were being monitored and how much variation in HR was being applied to the test scenario.

fwiw statements like most to least accurate are utterly meaningless as they all perform differently in different circumstances.
  • MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i have the tomtom spark cardio. love it
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I love my garmin vivofit 2. I think they are in the $70 range most places. It doesn't track heart rate in the wrist band, but does have a chest band bundled with it if you want it. I have the chest strap and it doesn't work well, especially if your cell phone is anywhere near it! I fought with the thing for months and even had it replaced thinking I had one that was defective. The strap would show the same heart rate for an entire exercise session, when I know it was changing, hills, sprints, ect.. The wrist tracker is great without it! The app is easy and syncs with MFP. I like that the daily goal can be chosen or you can let it be set for your based on your recent activity level, challenging you to do more. I have negative calories enabled on MFP, so I dont' track timed walks because it messes with the exercise calories. What sets this tracker apart for me is that I don't have to charge it. It's almost a year old and I have yet to change the battery. It's also completely 'jump in the pool' waterproof. Those two features make it's other downfalls much more palatable. I highly recommend the wrist tracker without the chest strap!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    shinycrazy wrote: »
    I love my garmin vivofit 2. I think they are in the $70 range most places. It doesn't track heart rate in the wrist band, but does have a chest band bundled with it if you want it. I have the chest strap and it doesn't work well, especially if your cell phone is anywhere near it! I fought with the thing for months and even had it replaced thinking I had one that was defective. The strap would show the same heart rate for an entire exercise session, when I know it was changing, hills, sprints, ect.. The wrist tracker is great without it! The app is easy and syncs with MFP. I like that the daily goal can be chosen or you can let it be set for your based on your recent activity level, challenging you to do more. I have negative calories enabled on MFP, so I dont' track timed walks because it messes with the exercise calories. What sets this tracker apart for me is that I don't have to charge it. It's almost a year old and I have yet to change the battery. It's also completely 'jump in the pool' waterproof. Those two features make it's other downfalls much more palatable. I highly recommend the wrist tracker without the chest strap!

This is really weird, I started with the Vivofit and chest strap, never had an issue. I now have the Vivoactive and use the same chest strap, again no issues.

The Vivofit is a good entry level model and unlike the Fitbit and other garmin models, it doesn't need charged. As said above, it runs on a normal watch battery which lasts a very long time.
  • Brailleuser
    Brailleuser Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have used two different Garmins, and now use an AppleWatch. I actually like all of them, but since I have an iphone, I like the applewatch better because of the APPS and such that I can add/use to make it specific for me.
  • cardiacmommy
    cardiacmommy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I just got a Fitbit charge hr 2and worked out some good deals. It is normally 149. Hsn.com had it for129. Checkout with visa checkout for 20 off 40. If you have an amex see if you have10 off 30 offer for hsn and pay with amex. access hsn.com thru ebates cashback app for 6% cash back. If you are new to ebates you also get $15 back on your first purchase! Ended up coming to about 89 with my 9.75% sales tax. Plus you can do flex payments on hsn (you would want min 30 payment though if using the amex deal.)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I also think that it will depend on what you are expecting it to do for you. I have a FitBit Zip. Bottom of the line, but it does what I want. I tried the flex, and although the sleep information was cool to look at, it really wasn't telling me anything that I didn't already know (I suck at sleeping), nor did it help me fix that problem. I have used a HRM in the past, but I rarely do steady state cardio, so I don't feel there's much point, for my purposes.

TL;DR: Start with deciding what you want from the unit, and then look to see what fits in your budget, meets your needs/desires, and has received decent reviews.
  • cardiacmommy
    cardiacmommy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I just got a Fitbit charge hr 2and worked out some good deals. It is normally 149. Hsn.com had it for129. Checkout with visa checkout for 20 off 40. If you have an amex see if you have10 off 30 offer for hsn and pay with amex. access hsn.com thru ebates cashback app for 6% cash back. If you are new to ebates you also get $15 back on your first purchase! Ended up coming to about 89 with my 9.75% sales tax. Plus you can do flex payments on hsn (you would want min 30 payment though if using the amex deal.)

Ah a fellow deal shopper. :D Staples had a similar deal using VCO/AmEx. Great price.

Yes that was a good deal too..but alas didn't have the staples offer on my amex.