Anyone have a garmin fitness watch?

Options
Just wondering if people have a garmin watch, i would like to know do you log all "active calories" burnt throughout the day??
It has "resting calories" and "active calories" so wondered if i log in active calories burnt? Any help would be appreciated

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You can just sync it with mfp and it updates for you?
  • sarahlovesfood25
    sarahlovesfood25 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    It will only update the exercise ive done wen i start stopwatch from start to finish!! But steps or other things i do during the day it doesnt log in but do i count that in?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Depends what activity setting you have mfp set to? You would be double counting if you added every single step
  • sarahlovesfood25
    Options
    What setting should i have it on?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    What setting should i have it on?

Depends what your activity level is like?
  • sarahlovesfood25
    Options
    I got it as active,, im always on my feet and work in a hospital
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I got it as active,, im always on my feet and work in a hospital

Then you don't need to add any extra activity cals from your watch
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Which watch? I have a Vivosmart HR and it has issues with activities. Basically, if I turn on an activity (like walking) it will report calories burned from the activity AND calories burned from the number of steps taken. So it will double count the calories burned. For that reason, I don't use the activities.

I set my activity level in MFP to the lowest one and sync from Garmin Connect. I've had to play with the activity level in GC to try to get the calories that come through to MFP close. As I wear my watch 24/7 (except for 45 mins a day when it is charging), I don't add any further exercises in MFP.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I have a Fenix 3 HR. I record activities when I do things (like enjoy a bike ride, or go hiking) and then they sync into MFP.
  • jattardi
    jattardi Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have an Apple Watch, which tracks active vs. resting calories. But I actually don't integrate it with MFP. I am too tempted to eat my exercise calories. So if I don't get any exercise calories reported in the app, I'll be sure not to eat them.
  • sarahlovesfood25
    Options
    I have vivosmart grmckenzie
  • sarahlovesfood25
    Options
    So having ur setting on very active will double ur step count/calorie butnt?
  • rprr
    rprr Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Vivoactive HR and it syncs the usual exercise activities. In addition, you automatically get a Garmin Connect Calorie Adjustment based on how active you are throughout the day. This depends on the difference between how many calories MFP thinks you burnt and the calories reported from Garmin Connect.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

If you want to see some concerns about it, read https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?556-vivosmart-HR-HR

The activities issue had been FUBAR for over a year. There are other issues as well.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    grmckenzie wrote: »

If you want to see some concerns about it, read https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?556-vivosmart-HR-HR

The activities issue had been FUBAR for over a year. There are other issues as well.

Meant to add, I have stairs and intensity minutes turned off as they are meaningless with this thing. So all I use it for is steps and HR. And it tells me to move every hour or so.

• LilacLion
    LilacLion Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I have the Vivosmart too linked into this app. I'm just learning my way around it.