New approach?

Options
So here is my current situation...

I came back to MFP in October and did great! I lost about 15 pounds in almost a month and a half. I hit some sort of a wall at that point (mental, physical.... not sure!) and stopped losing. From there, the holidays happened and I watched the numbers on the scale creep back up. Right now, I am 218 (I am refusing to update my ticker until the scale starts agreeing again!). I have been trying to stick within my calorie goals, but of course there are some days where I am not doing it.

I started again in January with a goal of 1.5 lbs/week. That put me at around 1630 calories a day. I realized that was too low and I wasn't able to reach that goal very often. So I upped it to 1 lb a week, which is around 1850 for calories.

So the problem is that this isn't working either. I haven't lost and I still have some days where I go over! The good days only have a deficit of 500 and on the bad days I can easily cancel that out. End result is that I don't lose.

So here is my new thought...

Stick with my 1lb goal and try my hardest to stay at 1850 a day. Then exercise 3-5 times a week. I usually burn about 300-400 calories at the gym. I am thinking I might just not eat my exercise calories on those days. It would keep be above a 1000 calorie deficit most days and I will eat some of the calories if I ever dip below that number. That would also give me more of a deficit to work with in case I run into bad days, allow me to eat enough so I am not starving, and still maybe speed up the weight loss.

What do you all think?

Replies

• DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    So here is my current situation...

I came back to MFP in October and did great! I lost about 15 pounds in almost a month and a half. I hit some sort of a wall at that point (mental, physical.... not sure!) and stopped losing. From there, the holidays happened and I watched the numbers on the scale creep back up. Right now, I am 218 (I am refusing to update my ticker until the scale starts agreeing again!). I have been trying to stick within my calorie goals, but of course there are some days where I am not doing it.

I started again in January with a goal of 1.5 lbs/week. That put me at around 1630 calories a day. I realized that was too low and I wasn't able to reach that goal very often. So I upped it to 1 lb a week, which is around 1850 for calories.

So the problem is that this isn't working either. I haven't lost and I still have some days where I go over! The good days only have a deficit of 500 and on the bad days I can easily cancel that out. End result is that I don't lose.

So here is my new thought...

Stick with my 1lb goal and try my hardest to stay at 1850 a day. Then exercise 3-5 times a week. I usually burn about 300-400 calories at the gym. I am thinking I might just not eat my exercise calories on those days. It would keep be above a 1000 calorie deficit most days and I will eat some of the calories if I ever dip below that number. That would also give me more of a deficit to work with in case I run into bad days, allow me to eat enough so I am not starving, and still maybe speed up the weight loss.

What do you all think?
  • kimmaboo
    Options
    you should look at what kinds of things you are eating you should get full and be good in your callories with 1800 if you drink your water adn fill up an low cal things you should be looking for something to fill up your day rent low cal cook book from the library to get some ideas on some filling meals ive been cooking out of the biggest loser family cookbook and even my husband who starves on the other diets we have tried is searching for things to fill in his calories but sometimes it isnt how much you eat but what you eat to fill up and also if you are thursty you can feel that hunger pain type feeling so take a look at what you are eating and try to make some changes in that respect and you can get lots more healthy foods over processed not so healthy foods and if you snack twice a day and eat 3 amaller meals that can help too and if that doesnt work keep up trying it is whats important how you feel not how fast you loose we all have set backs and you just got to keep trying and dont give up!
  • tonie
    tonie Posts: 6
    Options
    I was a little surprised when I saw the amount of calories burned being added back into the total calories for the day. I just started also, so this is all new to me. So what I'm doing is ignoring the amount of calories added back in,that I burned off for any exercise and sticking to just the amount allowed for the day. That way I truly know I have a deficit at the end of the day. Just a thought.

I have only been doing this for like four days, but the math just seemed off. I haven't weighed a second time yet, so I may be totally wrong.
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    I was a little surprised when I saw the amount of calories burned being added back into the total calories for the day. I just started also, so this is all new to me. So what I'm doing is ignoring the amount of calories added back in,that I burned off for any exercise and sticking to just the amount allowed for the day. That way I truly know I have a deficit at the end of the day. Just a thought.

I have only been doing this for like four days, but the math just seemed off. I haven't weighed a second time yet, so I may be totally wrong.

Have you read the newbie thread yet?

I think in my case it works, but not in all cases. Especially if you have a low goal set. Since my goal is so high, I think it could work out, but you have to do the math. Would you have a higher than 1000 calorie deficit? Are you dropping below 1200 calories for the day?

Also, 1800 works on some days, but doesn't work on others. If I can stick to healthy foods, I tend to be ok with that goal. If not, then obviously it doesn't work! Some days just tend to be hungry days.

Any other thoughts?
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    you MUST eat your excercise calories people. if not your body will go into starvation mode and you will not loose.

before MFP i was on a very low calorie diet. i was working out as well. after 6 weeks i only lost 3 pounds. after MFP i have been excercising and eating my calories including my extra calories. i started 1/5, 3 weeks ago and i think i have lost at least 4 if not more pounds. 'official' weigh in is next week so i'll know for sure then.
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    you MUST eat your excercise calories people. if not your body will go into starvation mode and you will not loose.

before MFP i was on a very low calorie diet. i was working out as well. after 6 weeks i only lost 3 pounds. after MFP i have been excercising and eating my calories including my extra calories. i started 1/5, 3 weeks ago and i think i have lost at least 4 if not more pounds. 'official' weigh in is next week so i'll know for sure then.

Trust me when I say I am the first person advocating for this is 99% of the cases. I have read everything and have been here a long time.

But I'm not losing!

So do I drop my goals to a level that I am unlikely to reach or do I stop eatting the exercise calories (without going below a 1000 calorie deficit)?
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking your water? You never said in your post. That helps more than people realize!
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    Are you drinking your water? You never said in your post. That helps more than people realize!

I definitely am drinking more than I used to. I do better on some days than others. I drink a little more diet coke than I should, but pretty close to my 8 cups on most days! I learned this one a few months back... wish those 3 pounds I lost just from drinking water would happen every week!!
  • heather0mc
    Options

Trust me when I say I am the first person advocating for this is 99% of the cases. I have read everything and have been here a long time.

But I'm not losing!

So do I drop my goals to a level that I am unlikely to reach or do I stop eatting the exercise calories (without going below a 1000 calorie deficit)?

i understand your frustration. you know, diet coke is not good for you at all. it makes you retain water and that doesnt help. i am no expert at all but i do have a suggestion. maybe take a look at what kind of foods you are eating - natural vs. processed, too much of one thing and not enough of the other, etc. and re-evaluate everything as a whole. also, change up your excercise - if you do the same thing for too long your body becomes accustomed to the workout and it is no longer challenged. maybe after a deep evaluation, you will find different ways to eat with out changing your goals and you will begin to loose again.

sorry, thats all i got.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    You are in the EXACT same position I am. Its weird because we almost weigh the same and you are just a few years my senior too. (You must have your activity level set a bit higher though, because I only get 1200-1400 cals):cry:

So I just wanted to let you know you're not alone. :flowerforyou: I have made a doctor's appointment and I intend to bring my MFP logs for exercise and food with me to SHOW him/her that I have been doing everything right and am not losing. :angry:
  • heather0mc
    Options
    You are in the EXACT same position I am. Its weird because we almost weigh the same and you are just a few years my senior too. (You must have your activity level set a bit higher though, because I only get 1200-1400 cals):cry:

So I just wanted to let you know you're not alone. :flowerforyou: I have made a doctor's appointment and I intend to bring my MFP logs for exercise and food with me to SHOW him/her that I have been doing everything right and am not losing. :angry:

good idea, seeing the doc. good luck and i hope he has good news for you. let us know what he says if you think it will be helpful! :drinker: