Did Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements help you lose weight?

My doctor recommended Vitamin D to help me lose weight instead of orlistat. Did it help you?

Replies

• jattardi
    jattardi Posts: 35 Member
    I've been taking vitamin D for years, and it hasn't seemed to help me lose any weight.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Nope. I guess if you're deficient the side effects could cause a reduction in NEAT/increase in appetite to compensate for tiredness etc but there's nothing that vitamin D does that facilitates fat loss. The only thing for that is a calorie deficit.

I suspect your doctor thinks if you feel better by bringing your vitamin D levels up the knock on will be better adherence and compliance to a calorie deficit. I like that you're being steered away from Orlistat though.
  • misshoneyz2dab
    misshoneyz2dab Posts: 62 Member
    Orlistat has bad side effects!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Never heard of vitamin d to help you lose weight
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    No.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Vitamin D helped me get back my energy, because I was significantly deficient (by repeat labs), but only eating less helped me lose weight.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I take both of those and neither have affected my weight loss. It's all about the calories.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    Did Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements help you lose weight?

I take them both ... and ... no.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    No, but they aren't supposed to as far as I know.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited November 2016
    No, they just help me to reach my calcium and vitamin D goal for the day if i haven't with food.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Not directly, but anecdotally and indirectly, maybe. I moved my calcium and vitamin D supps and casein powder to just before bed, which led to me sleeping better, which has probably had a positive effect. Better sleep is good for anyone, but especially those who's bodies are already dealing with the stressors of caloric restriction, exercise, and whatever life provides otherwise.
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    I take Vit D because of the current advice from the NHS. But I don't think it has any magical properties. I also take Iron as a nurse advised me mine was a bit low. Generally though I aim to get a varied diet that will give me adequate micro nutrients without supplements. Some people will need specific requirements based on their health.
    During autumn and winter (from October until the end of March) the sun isn't strong enough in the UK to produce vitamin D. That means we have to rely on getting it just from the food we eat.

Because it's difficult to get enough vitamin D from food alone, many of us risk not getting enough. Taking a supplement helps to keep levels of the vitamin topped up during the colder months.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2016/07July/Pages/The-new-guidelines-on-vitamin-D-what-you-need-to-know.aspx
  • auntpat52
    auntpat52 Posts: 1 Member
    We are all looking for shortcuts, they do not work, eat less, move more. Learn to like veg and beans. Spices do it for me!
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    I have Hashimotos that has been causing problems. I'm on my 2nd increased dose of synthroid. I am also vitamin d deficient. My dr is telling that you need vitamin D in order to absorb the thyroid meds. If you are deficient the thyroid meds don't work as well. So now I'm taking 5000 units of vitamin D a day and a hefty dose of synthroid. We shall see if the 15 pounds I gained this year from Hashimotos problems magically disappears....
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Here's a new article by PN you might find helpful.
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/stop-vitamin-d
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Here's a new article by PN you might find helpful.
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/stop-vitamin-d

I had a read through, take home message seems to be balance based on need with a bit of a scare factor. It's certainly cold and dark enough here that I’m not going to stand outside for 5-30 minutes with 30% of my skin uncovered. So I will continue to supplement through the winter. Although I don't know anything particularly about the site this made me laugh out loud!

'Take D with care'

Deliberate surely?