Where did you see changes first? (Scale, inches, or pictures)

Options
berealx
berealx Posts: 21 Member
I am curious to see what other people have noticed when they started their weight loss journey.

I feel I am noticing in pictures the biggest difference because I'm started to lose more in my back and face area. I believe I am losing inches (hard to measure myself lol). The scale also jumps from me losing 7-11 pounds (it's hard for me to trust the scale cause it always says something different).

Have you notice a change in either pictures, measurements, or scale first? I'm curious :-)

Replies

• kdz0444
    kdz0444 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I noticed in measurements and clothes first. The scale went down but the difference in how clothes fit and what my measurements were said way more than the scale.
  • arodrigues301
    arodrigues301 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Definitely inches. Looking in the mirror I could see the difference in my waist and face, but when I went on the scale, it was the same weight. That was a little discouraging at first, but it was nice being able to see a change still.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    berealx wrote: »
    I am curious to see what other people have noticed when they started their weight loss journey.

I feel I am noticing in pictures the biggest difference because I'm started to lose more in my back and face area. I believe I am losing inches (hard to measure myself lol). The scale also jumps from me losing 7-11 pounds (it's hard for me to trust the scale cause it always says something different).

Have you notice a change in either pictures, measurements, or scale first? I'm curious :-)

You have to realize that the data from the scale needs to be looked at in terms of trends, not concrete numbers...body weight isn't static...nobody weighs exactly XXX Lbs...body weigh is always in flux and thus weight loss isn't a linear progression...once you understand this, you can trust the scale just fine.
  • fishobot
    fishobot Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    For me it was how my clothes fit, especially my pants. I take measurements but I never feel 100% sure that I took them in exactly the same place as the last time. The scale also is a dynamic/fluid thing based on so many variables. But needing to use the next smallest belt loop, that I trust!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I didn't actually take pictures but the mirror was where I noticed it first, so I think pictures would be about the same.
  • LemonadeCandy_
    LemonadeCandy_ Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I noticed the scale first. It tends to take a bit of time before weight loss is physically noticeable for me, but when I first started the lbs came off quickly on the scale.

The first place I noticed it other than the scale was my face!
  • PhiliswaM
    PhiliswaM Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    How soon after being serious about losing weight did you ladies see the changes? I lost my first 2 KGs in 2 weeks and now (on week 3) it seems as if nothing is happening. I am just worried.
  • Smaya29
    Smaya29 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    On the scale first. Then how my clothes started to fit better. After that I noticed how much lighter my body started to feel on my feet and with the water weight gone, I wasn't really puffy anymore.
    PhiliswaM wrote: »
    How soon after being serious about losing weight did you ladies see the changes? I lost my first 2 KGs in 2 weeks and now (on week 3) it seems as if nothing is happening. I am just worried.

I started seeing the difference after the first 7-8 pounds. I guess it's different for everyone. To be honest I don't feel much change after that except in my face or thighs. Even after losing 10-15 pounds more, I don't see much change. Don't let it worry you though. You'll notice it in how your clothes start to fit better. Just keep going :smile:

• bele2009
    bele2009 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Needing to buy new belts because the old ones where passed their last holes ;-)
  • LemonadeCandy_
    LemonadeCandy_ Posts: 195 Member
    Options

PhiliswaM wrote: »

I dropped a lot of weight for the first couple of weeks and it slowed down dramatically after that. Don't worry, keep pushing yourself and it'll pick up again.
  • Wiggymommy
    Wiggymommy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    For me everything seems to be happening about the same. I see a difference of 14 pounds on the scale which has been two inch reduction (waist) and I look like "less" bloated in the mirror. Things fit better. I've been doing this for a month so very new so far.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of pounds fast at first but couldn't see it in the mirror. not so accurate with the tape measure but I had dh take pictures of my back and compare them I could see difference then my pants started falling off. I am loosing more inches now then weight but as long as I'm moving
  • RedsGirl73
    RedsGirl73 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Sadly my bra! :#
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    My pants kept falling down in very public places. LOL
  • JeffreyOC
    JeffreyOC Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Scale & Inches!
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Scale.
  • geminiswede
    geminiswede Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I had a ton of weight to lose (140+ lbs), so I saw the scale move first, mostly in water weight. That was followed closely by inches (or clothes fitting, I was scared to use the tape measure because I was in denial). I did take pictures even though I found that embarrassing, first at every 20 pounds, then every 10, and I'm glad I did.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    clothes started feeling looser within a few weeks and my face started to lose its plumpness.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    scale for me but I've had to add 3 holes to my belt so far.
  • foxandflora
    foxandflora Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I noticed the number on the scale first. Then, after a few months, I noticed how my snug clothes fit well. Recently (literally yesterday), I looked in the mirror and noticed a difference. The last bit is a big deal for me because I am diagnosed with an ED, so I have issues with "seeing" myself correctly. I'm not saying what I see is correct; however, I definitely see a difference. (Victories!)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!