Fat loss info from an expert

Options
Hi all! I get TOm Venuto's newsletter in my email and the one I got today was very interesting so I thiught I'd post it here:

BURN THE FAT Q & A
WITH TOM VENUTO, Fat Loss coach

QUESTION:

Dear Tom: I've been enjoying your fat burning tips newsletters
and am fascinated by the whole fat burning process, but would
actually like to know the science of it all. Would you please
try to explain in layman's terms exactly how fat cells work and
what happens when you start to burn body fat. I heard a statement
that the fat cell has to get moved into the muscle cell for it
to be released or burned. Thought you could explain a little better.

Sincerely,

Kevin

ANSWER:

Earlier this week someone in our discussion forum wrote, "I haven't
'LOST' any fat... I know EXACTLY where it went! I got a chuckle out
of that because I "got" the joke, but truth is, most people really
don't know how fat cells work, how the fat burning process takes
place, or where the fat goes when it's burned, so this is a really
good question.

When you "lose" bod yfat, the fat cell (also called an adipocyte)
does not go anywhere or "move into the muscle cell to be burned",
as it was suggested to you.

The fat cell itself, (unfortunately) stays right where it was -
under the skin in your thighs, stomach, hips, arms, etc., and on
top of the muscles - which is why you can't see muscle "definition"
when your body fat is high.

Fat is stored inside the fat cell in the form of triaglycerol. The fat
is not burned right there in the fat cell, it must be liberated from
the fat cell through somewhat complex hormonal/biochemical pathways.

When stimulated to do so, the fat cell simply releases its contents
(triaglycerol) into the bloodstream as free fatty acids (FFA's), and
they are transported through the blood to the tissues where the energy
is needed.

A typical young male stores about 60,000 to 100,000 calories of
energy in body fat cells. What triggers the release of all these stored
fatty acids from the fat cell? Ahhh, that's what we all want to know, right?

Well, it's simple: When your body needs energy because you're consuming
fewer calories than you are burning (an energy deficit), then your body
releases hormones and enzymes that signal your fat cells to release your
fat reserves instead of keeping them in storage.

For stored fat to be liberated from the fat cell, hydrolysis (lipolysis
or fat breakdown), splits the molecule of triaglycerol into glycerol and
three fatty acids. An important enzyme called hormone sensitive lipase
(HSL) is the catalyst for this reaction.

The stored fat (energy) gets released into the bloodstream as FFA's and
they are shuttled off to the muscles where the energy is needed. As blood
flow increases to the active muscles, more FFA's are delivered to the
muscles that need them.

An important enzyme called lipoprotein lipase (LPL), then helps the
FFA's get inside the mitochondria of the muscle cell, where the FFA's
can be burned for energy. If you've ever taken a biology class, then
you've probably heard of the mitochondria. This is the "cellular
powerhouse" where energy production takes place and this is where the
FFA's go to be burned for energy.

When the FFA's are released from the fat cell, the fat cell shrinks
and that's why you look leaner - because the fat cell is now smaller.
A small or "empty" fat cell is what you're after if you want the
lean, defined look.

It was once believed that the number of fat cells could not increase
after maturity, only the size of the fat cells could increase (or
decrease). We now know that fat cells can indeed increase both in size
(hypertrophy) and in number (hyperplasia) and that they are more likely
to increase in number at certain times and under certain circumstances,
such as:

1) During late childhood and early puberty
2) During pregnancy
3) During adulthood when extreme amounts of weight are gained

Some people are genetically predisposed to have more fat cells than
others and women have more fat cells than men. An infant usually has
about 5 - 6 billion fat cells. This number increases during early
childhood and puberty, and a healthy adult with normal body composition
has about 25 to 30 billion fat cells. A typical overweight adult has
around 75 billion fat cells. But in the case of severe obesity, this
number can be as high as 250 to 300 billion!

The average size (weight) of an adult fat cell is about 0.6 micrograms,
but they can vary in size from 0.2 micograms to 0.9 micrograms. An
overweight person's fat cells can be up to three times larger than a
person with ideal body composition.

Remember, body fat is basically just a reserve source of energy and
fat cells are the like the storage tanks. Unlike a gas tank in your
car which is fixed in size, however, fat cells can expand or shrink
in size depending on how "filled" they are.

Picture a balloon that is not inflated: It's tiny when not filled
with air - maybe the size of your thumb. When you blow it up with
air, it can expand 10 or 12 times it's normal size, because it
simply fills up.

That's what happens to fat cells: They start as nearly empty fat
storage "tanks" (when you are lean), and when energy intake exceeds
your needs, your fat cells "fill up" and "stretch out" like balloons
filled with jelly (not a pretty picture, is it?)

So when you get leaner, you don't actually "lose" fat cells, you
"shrink" or "empty out" fat cells.

Take-home lessons:

1. Calories count!The signal that triggers your body to release
adipose from fat cells is an energy deficit - you have to burn more
than you eat. Hormones also play a role in whether the fat is
released from the cell.

2. Cut calories conservatively. Starving yourself may cause quick
weightloss at first, but never works long term because it actually
decreases the activity of fat burning enzymes that release fat from
the cells. to avoid this "starvation mode" use exercise to BURN
THE FAT, not very low calorie crash diets.

3. Get control of your weight now. If you are gaining weight, and
especially if your weight is climbing upwards out of control, make
a decision to STOP RIGHT NOW. Your fat cells might be multiplying,
making it more difficult to burn fat in the future. NOW is the time!

4. If you've already lost weight, you must be forever diligent.
Your fat cells are not gone, they have merely "shrunk" or
"emptied out." Fitness is not a 12 week program, its a lifestyle.
To stay lean you have to eat clean and stay active

5. Genetics are only a minor factor. You may not have control over
how many fat cells you were born with, but you do control the major
factors that determine how much fat you store: lifestyle, exercise,
nutrition, mental attitude.

To learn more about the fat burning process, check out Burn the Fat,
Feed the Muscle at http://www.BurnTheFat.com

Tom Venuto, Fat Loss Coach,
Author of Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle,
http://www.BurnTheFat.com

Founder & CEO of Burn the Fat Inner Circle
http://www.BurntheFat.com/innercircle

Replies

• spinurbuttoff
    Options
    great article!!! Thanks a bunch!!!!
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    You know, when I read the word "expert", I was skeptical...but when I clicked the thread and saw the words Tom Venuto, I knew right away this would be an excellent read. Venuto's protocols are so well grounded in science, but he also does a very good job in explaining things so that everyday people can understand. Thank you so much for posting that!
  • RoxMyWorld
    RoxMyWorld Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great info!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    bump - great info .
    Thanks
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    This is fantastic information. I was wondering what goes on in my body through this process and now that I know, it's really interesting and... almost exciting. So next time someone asks me what I'm going to do before I exercise, I'll tell them, "Oh, just shrinking my fat cells."
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Great article! Kind of bummed that fat cells don't actually just go away, but at least I can shrink the lil' suckers! :laugh:
  • southtowngirl
    southtowngirl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Very interesting .....
  • SherryGirl
    SherryGirl Posts: 40
    Options
    Thank you for sharing that was really interesting!:happy:
  • ch178
    ch178 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Great info
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    bump for later

Interesting info! Thanks for sharing!
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Interesting - so it seems like you look leaner when the FFAs are released from the fat cells (when they become "empty"). I wonder what happens if the FFAs are released from thr fat cells but don't react with the lipoprotein lipase to go into the mitochondria to get burned? Do they just float around your bloodstream until needed? Go back into an empty fat cell? Does that never happen because they body always releases enough lipoprotein lipase?

This was so interesting - I want to learn more!
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT!! Thanks for sharing!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Fantastic explanation -- thanks for sharing! And boy, knowing these fat cells don't actually "go away" makes me want to stay on top of things even MORE.

No wonder it feels like weight "suddenly" appears when you're not paying attention -- it really is like pasting that piece of cheesecake right to your butt (or at least stuffing it into the fat cells that live there). :laugh:
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Well, I wouldn't call myself an expert but I am educated. With a masters in a health field, I can tell you that we learned all of this is the classroom. This guy is right on the money.
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    Absolutely love this article! Very informative and I learned a lot! Thank you for sharing this!
  • BeilaLin
    BeilaLin Posts: 189
    Options
    Good topic, and interesting article.

I have taken Human Biology, Physiology, Anatomy, and can say that most of this is consistent with what I learned in school.

The only thing I would add to this article (based on what I learned in school and from textbooks), is that FFA (free fatty acids) are indeed released to "shrink" the fat cells, but they are NOT the PRIMARY source of fuel and energy for muscles.

It's actually primarily GLUCOSE that is needed to fuel muscles. In the process of glycolysis (breakdown of glucose into pyruvate), glucose is converted down to pyruvate and ATP (adenotriphosphate), and ATP is actually the energy currency of the cells and what fuels muscles and cells to carry out metabolic processes in the cells (which is your metabolism, your calorie expendituer), and for muscle contraction. The author kind of fails to mention this crucial aspect.

And yes, this all takes place in the mitochondria (the "powerhouse" organelle) of cells, and muscle cells have WAY more mitochondria per cell than other types of cells for the movement function that it needs to perform (ie. skin cells for example only have a few mitochondria vs. a muscle cell has a hundred mitochondria).

The FFA (free fatty acids) that the author speaks about is not first source of energy for cellular energy (calorie expenditure), it's GLUCOSE, and glucose comes from carbs (after carbs are digested it becomes glucose and goes into your bloodstream where it's carried out to your cells for metabolic processes within cells). If there are too many carbs in your diet, the extra glucose gets stored in your liver as glycogen for later use.

If you exercise on an empty stomach (like in the morning before breakfast, or 2-4 hours after your last meal when there is not much glucose in your bloodstream), then it will start to convert the stored glycogen from your liver into glucose to fuel your exercise.

Then, if glycogen levels are low, that is when your liver sends out the hormone signals to your fat cells to stimulate lipolysis (the breakdown of fat into glycerol and fatty acids). These free fatty acids then go into into the blood, and travel to the liver through the bloodstream and can be either further broken down to get energy (as ATP) or used to make glucose again as energy sources for cells.

The thing is, the triglycerides (composed of the glycerol and 3 fatty acid chains) are harder to breakdown through this process, thus that is why it carries more calories.

My main takeaway:
    The body is complex with metabolic pathways happening on molecular levels, and while people start to read into the science behind what is happening, they will go on the extremes like Atkins diets where protein is high and carbohydrate levels are so low that you are forced into lipolysis at every meal almost. While this may work for a short period of time, like a week or 2, other changes may take place due to the low amounts of glucose in your system. Some organs, like your brain, is ONLY fueled by glucose, and therefore, carbs are needed for healthy brain function.

Other extreme diets like low fat diets, are bad since healthy fats are needed for our health. Fat helps absorb nutrients from food (which includes fat-soluble vitamins A, D, K and E); fat is a major component of cell membranes; fat is needed for healthy skin and nails; our brain is 70% fat; fish oils and foods with omega-3's--I'm sure you all heard about and omega-3's anti-inflammatory affect and helping people reduce the risk of obesity...so many proven scientific studies on omega-3 and how it can help your health, please google on your own. If you don't have omega-3 in your diet right now, I HIGHLY recommend adding it right now.

Anyways, my main point is to not get caught up in one aspect of the science, but to have a healhty balanced diet of fats carbs and proteins.

Thanks for reading! I had fun writing thie reply myself, since I'm a science person trying to get into Physician Assistant school.
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    saving it
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Good topic, and interesting article.

I have taken Human Biology, Physiology, Anatomy, and can say that most of this is consistent with what I learned in school.

The only thing I would add to this article (based on what I learned in school and from textbooks), is that FFA (free fatty acids) are indeed released to "shrink" the fat cells, but they are NOT the PRIMARY source of fuel and energy for muscles.

It's actually primarily GLUCOSE that is needed to fuel muscles. In the process of glycolysis (breakdown of glucose into pyruvate), glucose is converted down to pyruvate and ATP (adenotriphosphate), and ATP is actually the energy currency of the cells and what fuels muscles and cells to carry out metabolic processes in the cells (which is your metabolism, your calorie expendituer), and for muscle contraction. The author kind of fails to mention this crucial aspect.

And yes, this all takes place in the mitochondria (the "powerhouse" organelle) of cells, and muscle cells have WAY more mitochondria per cell than other types of cells for the movement function that it needs to perform (ie. skin cells for example only have a few mitochondria vs. a muscle cell has a hundred mitochondria).

The FFA (free fatty acids) that the author speaks about is not first source of energy for cellular energy (calorie expenditure), it's GLUCOSE, and glucose comes from carbs (after carbs are digested it becomes glucose and goes into your bloodstream where it's carried out to your cells for metabolic processes within cells). If there are too many carbs in your diet, the extra glucose gets stored in your liver as glycogen for later use.

If you exercise on an empty stomach (like in the morning before breakfast, or 2-4 hours after your last meal when there is not much glucose in your bloodstream), then it will start to convert the stored glycogen from your liver into glucose to fuel your exercise.

Then, if glycogen levels are low, that is when your liver sends out the hormone signals to your fat cells to stimulate lipolysis (the breakdown of fat into glycerol and fatty acids). These free fatty acids then go into into the blood, and travel to the liver through the bloodstream and can be either further broken down to get energy (as ATP) or used to make glucose again as energy sources for cells.

The thing is, the triglycerides (composed of the glycerol and 3 fatty acid chains) are harder to breakdown through this process, thus that is why it carries more calories.

My main takeaway:
    The body is complex with metabolic pathways happening on molecular levels, and while people start to read into the science behind what is happening, they will go on the extremes like Atkins diets where protein is high and carbohydrate levels are so low that you are forced into lipolysis at every meal almost. While this may work for a short period of time, like a week or 2, other changes may take place due to the low amounts of glucose in your system. Some organs, like your brain, is ONLY fueled by glucose, and therefore, carbs are needed for healthy brain function.

Other extreme diets like low fat diets, are bad since healthy fats are needed for our health. Fat helps absorb nutrients from food (which includes fat-soluble vitamins A, D, K and E); fat is a major component of cell membranes; fat is needed for healthy skin and nails; our brain is 70% fat; fish oils and foods with omega-3's--I'm sure you all heard about and omega-3's anti-inflammatory affect and helping people reduce the risk of obesity...so many proven scientific studies on omega-3 and how it can help your health, please google on your own. If you don't have omega-3 in your diet right now, I HIGHLY recommend adding it right now.

Anyways, my main point is to not get caught up in one aspect of the science, but to have a healhty balanced diet of fats carbs and proteins.

Thanks for reading! I had fun writing thie reply myself, since I'm a science person trying to get into Physician Assistant school.

No offense, but Tom Venuto was addressing a specific question about what happens to fat cells. His book The Body Fat Solution goes into great detail about glucose and glycogen stores, how they are converted to energy, and just when fat burning comes into play. Just didn't want you to think he doesn't know! :o)