Falling into restriction/binge cycle

Options
Hi,

I'm your classic yo-yo person when it comes to weight. Last year I lost 1 stone in 2 weeks, and as a consequence I gained back 2stone.
Ever since I have struggled to lose weight.

I tend to fall into a restriction and binge cycle. So if I don't lose weight 'quick enough' I get stressed out.

This is the first year I tipped the scale as overweight struggling to get back to a healthy weight ☹️

Anyone in similar experience?

Replies

• distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I struggled with that for most of my life. It changed when I started lifting and eating at maintenance (or what I thought was maintenance but was really a slight deficit). I sometimes still struggle with wanting fast results, but I really believe the slower you lose the more sustainable it is. Wanting quick results did nothing for me but perpetuate binging and feeling terrible about myself. I can tell you more if you wanna message me or something.. I just didn't want to ramble on and on here.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I used to struggle with restriction and got fast but never lasting results.

But this time I'm losing weight eating plenty of food and never feeling hungry and the progress is slow but steady. It feels good knowing I finally have control and an understand of the mechanics of weight loss & metabolism rather than starving myself and just hoping I'll lose weight.

What keeps me from over restricting now or trying to rush the process is the knowledge that eating TOO FEW calories is just as damaging to my weight loss goals as eating too many. When we eat too few calories it slows the metabolism, promotes muscle loss instead of fat loss, and we end up with less than desireable (not to mention unhealthy) results and are primed for rebound weight gain- no thanks.

I also know this isn't just a theory, I'm already seeing the results and they're better than any I've had before. I actually look better at 155 pounds (right now after losing only 10 pounds) than I did at 140 pounds (when I lost weight for my wedding several years ago). How can that be? Because last time I lost weight it was from simply restricting food and I was not exercising and I wasn't eating enough protein. I lost weight pretty fast but it was obviously a lot of muscle too because when I look back at those pictures my arms have no shape and I have more of a soft round physique... I didn't look fat but I didn't look fit at all either. Also I obviously wasn't able to maintain my weight after that because just a few years later I was back up to 165 pounds. Now I weigh more than I did at my wedding weight but I have more muscle tone and less fat and a lot nicer body shape. I can't wait to see how I will look at 140 pounds this time losing weight slowly and properly!

I'm trying right now to convince someone close to me to allow herself to eat more- she's been over restricting her whole life and has done so much damage to her metabolism that she is overweight despite averaging about only 600 calories a day of food! I know if I were to keep over restricting with occasional binges and a sedentary lifestyle that would be my future too and I'm NOT ok with that.

I encourage you to eat an appropriate amount of calories, enough protein, and include weight lifting & hiit cardio for exercise. Your results won't be 1 stone in 2 weeks- it might take you 3 months to lose that much actually, but when you do it will LOOK like you've lost 3 stone. When you lose weight properly you actually lose fat and when you lose body fat (instead of water or muscle) the results look 10 times better! And even better the weight will be easier to keep off!

Good luck.
  • UnicornAmandaPanda
    UnicornAmandaPanda Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Struggling with this on and off for years
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm your classic yo-yo person when it comes to weight. Last year I lost 1 stone in 2 weeks, and as a consequence I gained back 2stone.
    Ever since I have struggled to lose weight.

I tend to fall into a restriction and binge cycle. So if I don't lose weight 'quick enough' I get stressed out.

This is the first year I tipped the scale as overweight struggling to get back to a healthy weight ☹️

Anyone in similar experience?

When was the first time you can recall being this way? Was this something you've discovered about yourself? Or was this taught to you by a parent?