Is over eating bad?

Options
momoisgorgeousss
momoisgorgeousss Posts: 40 Member
edited November 2016 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I've been overeating my maintain calories for the past 2 days! AND thanks giving is tomorrow! I've been at a steady 109-110 since maintaining, about 3 weeks now? And now I weighed in today and weigh 111.2! I know not a big difference, but I'm scared the over eating has something to do with it? I went over 2 days! But I disnt go over the other days in just eating 'not so healthy food' I.e. Chinese, hot wings, ihop for the past 5 days. And I've been feeling super hungry the past few days! So I'm eating! I feel like this is something my body goes through every few week, I feel super hungry and eat a lot, gain weight, and then it drops back down to normal. Does this happen to anyone else or am I just making this up? Please let me know what to do :-)

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I've been overeating my maintain calories for the past few days! Maybe the past 3-4 days. AND thanks giving is tomorrow! I've been at a steady 109-110 since maintaining, about 3 weeks now? And now I weighed in today and weigh 111.2! I know not a big difference, but I'm scared the over eating has something to do with it? I actually only went over once.. last night by like 200 maybe. But I don't think I went over the other days in just eating 'not so healthy food' I.e. Chinese, hot wings, ihop. And I've been feeling super hungry the past few days! So I'm eating! I feel like this is something my body goes through every few week, I feel super hungry and eat a lot, gain weight, and then it drops back down to normal. Does this happen to anyone else or am I just making this up? Please let me know what to do :-)

A couple days of overeating should be fine.
    If you zoom out on your past year, how many days have you done this compared to days in a deficit?

You'll be fine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Uhhhh...overeating on a consistent basis is how people gain weight...

Overeating on occasion isn't a big deal...the human body is very adept at utilizing excess energy in the short run..but yeah...overeating on a consistent basis is how people get fat.

It may or may not have anything to do with anything at this point...a few days isn't usually enough to override your body's ability to maintain homeostasis...but you do have to consider that if you're eating more then you're going to have more inherent waste in your system and also retain more water which is all going to show up on the scale.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I've been overeating my maintain calories for the past few days! Maybe the past 3-4 days. AND thanks giving is tomorrow! I've been at a steady 109-110 since maintaining, about 3 weeks now? And now I weighed in today and weigh 111.2! I know not a big difference, but I'm scared the over eating has something to do with it? I actually only went over once.. last night by like 200 maybe. But I don't think I went over the other days in just eating 'not so healthy food' I.e. Chinese, hot wings, ihop. And I've been feeling super hungry the past few days! So I'm eating! I feel like this is something my body goes through every few week, I feel super hungry and eat a lot, gain weight, and then it drops back down to normal. Does this happen to anyone else or am I just making this up? Please let me know what to do :-)

I'm confused you said "I've been overeating my maintain calories for the past few days! Maybe the past 3-4 days. " And then you said "actually only went over once.. last night by like 200 maybe. " So did you go over 3-4 days or 1 day? It's probably water weight especially if you o my went over 1 day
  • momoisgorgeousss
    momoisgorgeousss Posts: 40 Member
    Options

I'm confused you said "I've been overeating my maintain calories for the past few days! Maybe the past 3-4 days. " And then you said "actually only went over once.. last night by like 200 maybe. " So did you go over 3-4 days or 1 day? It's probably water weight especially if you o my went over 1 day

I went back through and edited it.. I went over 2 days, and then have been eating bad the last 5 days... like said above, hot wings, Chinese food, ihop, etc.
    So I'm thinking maybe it's just all the salty food and I'm holding a little bit of water weight?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    you have to over eat consistently over maintenance calories to gain - 1 or 2 days does not mean a gain, its likely to be water weight from the extra calories and this is perfectly normal. After thanksgiving when you go back to normal maintenance cals again all will be well. :smile:
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    you have to over eat consistently over maintenance calories to gain - 1 or 2 days does not mean a gain, its likely to be water weight from the extra calories and this is perfectly normal. After thanksgiving when you go back to normal maintenance cals again all will be well. :smile:

I don't get how that physically works. Like I'm pretty sure the last week or so I've gone over a couple times. Wouldn't that bank up for weight? Like if I overindulge tomorrow which I probably will the calories have to go somewhere
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Enjoy Thanksgiving food without going completely overboard. Get back on track on Friday and don't worry about it. No one's perfect :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »

I don't get how that physically works. Like I'm pretty sure the last week or so I've gone over a couple times. Wouldn't that bank up for weight? Like if I overindulge tomorrow which I probably will the calories have to go somewhere

Counterbalanced by the days you are under calories. If, on average some are over and some are under, you should be pretty close. Give or take a bit. Trends over time, not single days in isolation. Does that make sense?
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Only when you do it consistently for months on end without it being in check then yes it is. Otherwise a few days of over eating is not going to cause massive amount of weight gain.

• srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Counterbalanced by the days you are under calories. If, on average some are over and some are under, you should be pretty close. Give or take a bit. Trends over time, not single days in isolation. Does that make sense?
    No because when I'm over I'm like 500 over when under im like 50 under and that's only because I couldn't find a 50 calorie snacn
  • leeannek1
    leeannek1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    A couple of days, here and there of overeating is fine. Indulge! Happy Thanksgiving!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

No because when I'm over I'm like 500 over when under im like 50 under and that's only because I couldn't find a 50 calorie snacn

Then either 1) you will slowly gain over time or 2) you'd projected maintenance calories are off a bit.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    OP: How tall are you?
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Well that's kind of your choice. I keep a deficit in my goal and I overlog whenever possible. That helps control logging errors. Besides that if I'm over 500 I log accurately for the next 2 days to take care of the overage. You don't HAVE to eat right up to maintenance every day to stay balanced. OP try going by your weekly averages...did you hit goal? You're good to go! (when looking at reports-nutrition in the app version--change your time range from today to a week and see where you are.)
  • handeye
    handeye Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I also go by weekly calorie intake, it makes it much easier to live life. I can have a couple of those days of eating "badly" or more than usual, then spend the next couple days eating the amount I ate to lose weight (1200-1400) and my weekly calories will balance out to maintenance. I think this is perfectly fine and acceptable - we're humans, not robots. Some days we will be hungrier than others. I think the 1-2 pounds you're seeing is water weight. As long as you're restricting yourself at other times to make up for overeating, I don't think you will actually gain weight!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You just eat less in the next few days. You'll be fine.

I'm the queen of yoyoing calories, lol.