Want to drink more water/peeing all the time

Options
I want to drink as much water as possible, but when I do a lot of walking, there aren't a lot of public toliets available. Sometimes I go out for two hours at a time and if I'm drinking a lot, I may need to pee 3 or 4 times. I also don't want to have to pee during my personal training sessions, which go for up to an hour.

What do you do?

I'm thinking of walking first thing in the morning, and not drinking anything until I get home.

My original personal trainer said I needed to drink 18 cups of water a day for my age/weight/height/activity level but I found it too hard and gave up.

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Set up timers!
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I drink that much and what I do is sip water through the day. No chugging. If you chug a 8 oz glass of water you will have to pee more urgently than if you are sipping the water. The faster it goes in, the faster it goes out. There is no reason you can't take a water bottle with you on your walk.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I do what you said -- Walk/run first thing in the morning and with just a 1/2 glass or so of water. I drink about a gallon the rest of the day and have to pee at least once an hour.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I also go for my walk in the morning on 1/2 glass of water, then chug it the rest of the day. Pee happens.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Hello - I have exactly the same problem and have no answers. The only advice I have is not to drink water in the evenings - when I do, I'm up all night peeing as well.
    My partner drinks a lot of water and says that eventually,your body gets used to it.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    Thats one of the annoyances of drinking water with me is frequent pee breaks. Its good for what it is I guess. I don't like sipping water personally I like the detoxifying straight out of the gate.. maybe I'm uneducated in some way
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I drink water as soon as I wake up. I wrap up my water drinking by 12 pm(7 glasses) and drink 2-3 glasses in the evenings after my workout and keep sipping water between 12-4 pm. I have to time my water consumption according to my schedule to avoid peeing myself in public :D:#
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sounds like you just need to time it better - don't drink too much before you go walking, don't drink too much before your PT session... Drink more when you have easy access to the loo!
  • magicpickles
    magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    If you need an hour of non peeing, how far out should you stop drinking?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you need an hour of non peeing, how far out should you stop drinking?

i would say 45 mins to an hour maybe?

i try not to drink much after about 9.30 - i go to bed between 10 and half past - or i have to get up in the night to wee!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I would say at least an hour. When I know I'll be going on a long trip in the car, I cut my liquids back. As said, work around your schedule. When you're home drink more.

Oh, and work on those kegels, they come in handy. ;)
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    We walk in rural areas. Just a thought.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i generally stop drinking water at work before 4pm, pee right at 5pm, then i'm on public transportation for about an hour, and i usually have to pee again when i get home, but not to the point where i feel like i'm going to die. i'm glad to know i'm not the only person to think about this though. before 4pm i drink pretty consistently and pee every hour, i use the farthest bathroom and just figure i could use the extra steps. bright side thinking.

giphy.gif
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I love hiking but it can be tough sometimes because of the peeing issue!

18 cups is crazy though, as long as your pee is clear, you're fine.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    If you can't go for an hour without needing a wee then you are drinking too much.
    Yes, you need to stay hydrated to be healthy, but pushing yourself to drink so much water that you have to wee at a ridiculous rate is extreme and unhealthy behaviour.

My advice:
    - sack the trainer who told you to drink 18 cups a day. That's about 4.5 litres and sounds excessive for most people.
    - Drink just enough water that your urine is light yellow. If you really feel the need for a number, start with about 2 litres a day (MFP's 8 cups) and adjust up ir down based on your body and lifestyle.
    - Remember that hydration is influenced by everything you eat and drink, not just plain water.
    - Stop taking things to extremes and enjoy your life without constantly hunting for a loo.
    - If you still need too wee so much when you reduce your fluid intake to a more rational level, get some advice from a continence advisor or other qualified health professional, because a person with a healthy functioning bladder shouldn't need to wee twice an hour.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to drink as much water as possible...drink as much water as you need to be hydrated...
  • magicpickles
    Options
    I can probably drink 12 cups a day without too much trouble, 16 cups if I pushed myself, and 18 seems impossible.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I can probably drink 12 cups a day without too much trouble, 16 cups if I pushed myself, and 18 seems impossible.

Then drink less than 12 cups. I just don't understand why this is even an issue.
  • magicpickles
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    If you can't go for an hour without needing a wee then you are drinking too much.
    Yes, you need to stay hydrated to be healthy, but pushing yourself to drink so much water that you have to wee at a ridiculous rate is extreme and unhealthy behaviour.

My advice:
    - sack the trainer who told you to drink 18 cups a day. That's about 4.5 litres and sounds excessive for most people.
    - Drink just enough water that your urine is light yellow. If you really feel the need for a number, start with about 2 litres a day (MFP's 8 cups) and adjust up ir down based on your body and lifestyle.
    - Remember that hydration is influenced by everything you eat and drink, not just plain water.
    - Stop taking things to extremes and enjoy your life without constantly hunting for a loo.
    - If you still need too wee so much when you reduce your fluid intake to a more rational level, get some advice from a continence advisor or other qualified health professional, because a person with a healthy functioning bladder shouldn't need to wee twice an hour.

He is actually a brilliant trainer, we just didn't see eye to eye about the water thing.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,199 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey folks - a minor clean-up occurred in this discussion. If you'd like to debate the merits vs wastefulness of drinking too much water, please create your own discussion in the Debate section of the community.

Please review our community guidelines (particularly guidelines 1, 2 and 11), located here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

If you have any questions or issues you'd like to address with the moderation team, please feel free to send me (or any other moderator) a PM. Now - off to start cooking turkey so I can eat too much today.