Hypnosis

Options
Has anyone tried hypnosis as an aid to weight loss?

Replies

• Darcy0316
    Darcy0316 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes. It makes having a deficit easier to achieve. It seems effortless. However, the suggestions wear off, and unless you learn self hypnosis, it can be pretty expensive to keep up sessions.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,149 Member
    Options
    I did hypnosis for a while, for various issues, stress, sleep and my weight. I think it was beneficial, it didn't make me drop pounds, but it got me more focused on when and why I overeat. Learning to relax and focus on issues was helpful to me. I got to a point where I needed that extra time and money and felt like I should stop. I don't regret doing it and I still use some of the exercises today.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried hypnosis as an aid to weight loss?

Look into Felix Economakis.
    He's a hypnotherapist who deals with morbid obesity. Some of his videos will give you an idea how it works.
    I use IEMT for clients but that doesn't deal directly with weight loss, just the emotions that could be holding them back from getting started.

Hope that helps.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    No. All that is needed for weight loss is a calorie deficit.
    You are wrong. Look below and repeat: Detox cleanses help with weight loss. Detox cleanses help with weight loss.

pictsel-davidope4.gif
    I have the strongest urge to watch Dr Oz....
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    If hypnosis or meditation gives you a sense of calm to encourage you to eat at a deficit, then yes it can be helpful. I use meditative music to chill me out instead of automatically reaching for food. It is all cico BUT whatever tools you can use to get there are helpful.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I had an MFP friend who regularly had hypnosis for weight loss and it worked...but every 6 months she would have to go back for another session or she went back to eating how she used to...
  • lizandrashaw
    lizandrashaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My therapist made me a CD so that I can do self-hypnosis. It does seem to help. On some days. If I'm open to the suggestions. You can download self-hypnosis recordings for weight loss online for very reasonable prices. It's just a tool to help you stick to the program.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    No. All that is needed for weight loss is a calorie deficit.

Well, yes, of course one will only lose if in a calorie deficit - I'm sure nobody thinks hypnosis will make them lose weight if they still over eat.

But some people do find hypnosis a helpful tool to changing their behaviour - ie their over eating behaviour, therefore they get into a calorie deficit.

I do not have any experience with it for weight loss - but I have no doubt it could be helpful for some people, just like it helps some people with giving up smoking or other behaviours they want to change but are having difficulty doing so.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Placebo has been shown to produce some interesting results. If self administered placebo helps you stick with the program (just don't expect to replace it), why not? Personally, it doesn't work for me because I'm just too aware of the principle. I'm a pretty curious person and would try anything just to see what it feels like. Hypnosis did not work for me when I tried it, probably because it made me giggle for some reason.