My journey to lose weight and get back into running!

Options
Hey MFP community,

So I'm a 21 year old guy living in London. I've been living out of home for just over 3 years now and I've struggled with diet and lifestyle during that time. My weight has been slow going up, although in the last year I've been particularly bad at controlling it.

I used to also be much more active- i used to go running frequently, and could run for >5K each time. Now, I can barely run for 10 minutes, but I'm determined to make a difference and get back to where I was. I read a story about a 16 stone man who smoked and drank and became a fairly successful marathon runner; so who knows what I could achieve :D

Current height and weight: 5ft11 and 15stone5. On my profile I've set my goal at 10st on my profile. This is a bit more than I need to lose, but I use this because its the weight I was when I was happiest about my size and at my fittest. It's also a guide, and I'm not going to use the goal as anything other than motivation.

So on this forum I hope to find some good lifestyle tips and recipes. I'm a terrible, terrible chef, so the simpler the better really...

Replies

• LondonRunner2016
    Options
    So I thought it'd be good to write down a few "personal pledges", in terms of my diet. Maybe it'll give me a bit more motivation not to break them if I write it down...

-No more soft drinks. Where ever possible, have water or black tea
    -all between-meal snacks to be replaced with fruit or vegetables
    -try to keep a fitness regimen- play tennis once a week and running 3 times a week.
    -
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi

Feel free to add me if you like, i'm on everyday and try to support as best as you cnan.

Sound like you have some great goals.

Not the same, but I was a regular runner until I broke an ankle at an event, so my running will start back from nothing as well.
  • adamcorson
    adamcorson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi I liked your posts guys. I'm in Glasgow and I'm on here to try to loose at least ten kilograms hopefully more and then be able to run properly again. I had a heavy fall almost two years ago which did serious damage to my right knee . During this time the weight has piled on and my other knee has become a problem too. All making me quite down so this is the big diet and non impact excercise push to fitness and happiness .
  • FemmeFireRL
    FemmeFireRL Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I've never been a runner but it is one of my goals. My husband loves running and it's something I want us to be able to do together. We are Canadian, hoping to move to Europe in 4 years, at least for the winters. :wink: