Diff between carbs and sugar?

Options
Happy Thanksgiving!!

This is Dan from Houston, Tx. I'm a "newbie", just one week in and doing well so far. I'm in for the long haul. My goal is to lose 175 pounds within 2 years and to MAINTAIN the weight loss for the rest of my life (I'm 58 so I need to stay committed).

My doctor uses this app in her weight loss program, more specifically The Center for Obesity Medicine and Metabolic Performance. I purposely began the program on Nov 15th to set me up to be "mindful" of my eating before, during, and after the holidays. I want to be in charge of my food and not allow food to be in charge of me....especially during this time when food is rich and plentiful. Let's help each other thru the peaks and valleys as we navigate the choppy waters of losing weight. I've been down this road many, many times and I'm committed to making it stick this time. My approach is to work this plan knowing and accepting it as a permanent lifestyle change....and with that, I will find it's where weight loss maintenance lives.

On the food diary it has two columns, one for carbs and one for sugar. Is the carbs column "total carbs"? If yes, then why is there a "sugar" column? It makes me think that both should be added to get the total carbs. So do I add them both to know my carbs? Please help. Thank you. ;) Dan

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Sugar is already included as part of carbs, as is fiber if the manufacturer includes it that way in the nutritional info. The extra column just tells you how many of those carbs come from sugar. It's just like mono- and polyunsaturated fats are already included in fats.

Sugar is listed separately because it's something that some people are watching and has a subset listing in the US nutritional info.

qoeodqburxnf.jpg

I actually have fiber as one of my chosen visible nutrient columns rather than sugar.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,132 Member
    Options
    The carbs column includes sugars, so no you don't add them together.

The sugar column was worthless to me so I changed it to something that I wanted to track more closely.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,132 Member
    Options
    Oh, and sugar is tracked by default on the printable version, so if I want to see it I just click over to that. Fiber is on that page by default, too.
  • dsoliz9356
    dsoliz9356 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank y'all so much, I appreciate it. Have a great day!