Eat Clean Diet, what did it do for you?

Options
vyvrhovat
vyvrhovat Posts: 80 Member
I forgot that I had the Eat Clean Cookbook and I was going through it again last night. I don't remember it looking so delicious!

I was wondering.. if anyone on MFP has done it, what were it's benefits for you? Besides the obvious losing weight, I'm really interested in the other kind of health changes you noticed. Do you still do it? If not, how long did you do it?

Generally, I eat well. Better than a lot of people I know, and a lot of people I see here (just because you were under your calorie goal does not mean that eating nothing but a bag of cheetos, a cup of coffee, and an ice cream bar is okay!). But when I fall off the wagon, I am a definite binge eater and I feel like crap for days afterward. Just tired, sluggish, heavy, like I'm sick. I'm really interested in eating clean for as long as I possibly can, but I'm looking for feedback on how difficult it was to keep up with, what kind of changes you saw and how fast, did the recipes really turn around your cravings, etc.!

Thanks, guys. (:

Replies

• mrowrmeowmrowr
    mrowrmeowmrowr Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this as well.
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    My blood sugar is more stable. I have less cravings...
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I don't follow the diet strictly, and diet should be a lifestyle change, not something you do then stop doing. The eat clean diet is a lifestyle choice, not a short term solution. Incorporate as many of the ideas as you can, start with one and keep adding until you are living a clean diet life, or close to it.
  • giaciccone
    giaciccone Posts: 257
    Options
    Someone just mentioned the Eat Clean Diet to me yesterday afternoon after my spinning class. I'd love to hear anything anyone has to say about it!
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    More energy, not pooing as much :blushing: you dont feel bloated...
  • mislove68
    mislove68 Posts: 240
    Options
    Eating clean I dont really ever want to go out to eat. I can make stuff taste better and for way cheaper. Plus when I was on my 4th of july vacation and I had a ton of junk food it made me sick. My body loves eating healthy!

I dont crave salt or soda!
  • mislove68
    mislove68 Posts: 240
    Options
    I don't follow the diet strictly, and diet should be a lifestyle change, not something you do then stop doing. The eat clean diet is a lifestyle choice, not a short term solution. Incorporate as many of the ideas as you can, start with one and keep adding until you are living a clean diet life, or close to it.

Well said!!!! Its not a diet its a lifestyle change!
  • ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It is not a diet, it is a way of eating. The basics are to not eat anything processed. I eat processed foods occasionally but I try to keep it to a minimum. There is some excellent info on graciouspantry.com and she has tons of recipes. Yes, it will make you feel better and your body will look better as you lose weight and body fat. Good luck!
  • Jennybear420
    Jennybear420 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have the same book and I love the eat clean lifestyle! Granted I don't always, sometimes I have to go for something processed but even then there are choices out there that are not so bad like gourmet steamers (see my food diary).
    The major difference I saw was how nice my skin started to look! I used to be prone to blemishes but now I hardly get any! Also, I used to one of those people who would have a 3 o-clock low but now I have energy to spare. My hair grows faster and thicker too.
    It's not hard to eat clean if you have a few good recipes, I buy most of my food in the fresh isle and organic section and there's always something new to try. Tonight I'm making a detox type soup that has loads of veggies including cabbage, celery, carrots, organic veggie broth and about half a can of creamy tomato soup.
    Remember, whenever you decide to embark on a lifestyle change always do it in small steps, make it work for you. Try making eat clean meals 2 times a week and see how you feel. Hope this helps!
  • vyvrhovat
    Options
    Let me just say that I definitely know the difference between diet and lifestyle change, I only called it a diet because that is the actual title of the book even though it is generally an ANTI-diet. I am not a yo-yo'er. (:

It is GREAT hearing all these things! I didn't even think about clearer skin and better hair, that is awesome.

I am hard pressed to be in the kitchen for very long when preparing a meal, did anyone find that eating clean was more time consuming? I mean, obviously it is going to take longer than a run to McDonald's would be, I mean more in relation to general cooking times when you're health-conscious but not to the point of it being right up there with clean eating. If that makes any sense.
  • cjnolt
    cjnolt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I try to eat clean 90% of the time since 2007. I have lost 90 lbs and I am stronger, leaner and healthier than I have ever been. Also have more energy. Choosing to eat clean is definately a lifestyle change. When I first started - I gave up diet soda and started drinking water and gradually started making healthier cleaner choices within my calorie range. Good Luck with your journey of clean eating.
  • llbird
    llbird Posts: 51
    Options
    The principles have stuck with me, even if I don't use all the recipes (lack of planning out meals and regular grocery shopping is where I am not consistent). In particular, what has 'stuck' with me are: having oatmeal for breakfast most days, incorporating protein at each meal, and an emphasis on flavors and quality ingredients. It's started me on a path of long term changes, not seeking immediate scale victories only.
  • vyvrhovat
    Options
    Oh, that too! Protein and complex carbs at every single meal, including snacks? What kind of snacks did you find were your favorites and still met this guideline? I am pretty accustomed to yogurt, fruit, nuts and vegetables for snacks, and I know of a few ways to make sure I get protein and carbs without just eating a lump of meat, but I'm curious about other people's routes.
  • cjnolt
    cjnolt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Just a few of my snacks...

Hard boiled eggs or egg whites with complex carb (fruit or vegetables)
    almond butter on wasa crackers, or whole grain waffle
    almonds and apple, etc...
    protein shakes - 1 scoop protein powder, unsweetened almond milk, frozen fruit
    oatmeal with cooked egg whites or sometimes I just add a scoop of protein powder in the oatmeal
    cottage cheese and fruit
    homemade protein bars
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, it is a lifestyle change. This site has terrific information and recipes. She also has a FB page. http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Though I no longer agree with some of the major principles of the diet, I'm grateful to the Eat Clean Diet for a few things (I did it pretty religiously for over a year - subscribed to the magazines (Oxygen and Eat Clean Diet) and had like 3-4 of her books):

- it pushed me to start looking at eating real foods (though their definition of real food doesn't really match mine)
    - it helped me learn how to cook
    - it helped me lose 15ish lbs and maintain
    - and overall, it just made me more curious about health and well-being and sparked my interest in nutrition.

I think this diet can be a step in the right direction for many people and if everyone ate this way our population would be in pretty good shape.
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Been trying to eat clean for a few months now, havent noticed a change in weight yet...... BUT do feel better more energy, and I feel better about what I chose to put into my body. Being a cancer survivor has really made me pay attention to WHAT is in my food and how it is treated. I do TRY really hard to make good choices but I cant give up coffee....or red meat!! At least I dont want to :wink:
    http://eatcleandiet.com/
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I lost weight instantly eating clean, and my body just feels better. I never understood what people meant when they said that they felt better not eating junk, because to be honest, I never thought I felt yucky before. Once I stopped eating the refined sugar and preservatives and replaced all that with whole foods, I now get it! I feel healthier!

I subscribe to clean eating magazine....and I love it! So many healthy, yummy and budget friendly recipes. www.cleaneatingmag.com. Tosca Reno (the women who started the eat clean diet) is a regular contributor to the magazine.
  • Frumpy2Fit
    Frumpy2Fit Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Bump.