not losing...????

Options
I started south beach diet on jan 9. i lost 4 lbs the first week(actually the first 4 days), and after 10 days started Phase 2. I have been on it foe almost a week, and am not dropping. I have no cravings and, am not eating any refined sugar,(i have organic yogurt and fruit)so I tracked my calories and I am averaging 1000-1300 which is at least half of what I was eating. Could it be that my body is in starvation mode, b/c it is used to eating so much more? If so when will it catch up and realize this is it?

I am eating 3 meals and 3 small snacks a day. I am 5ft 7in, SW was 165 CW is 161 and my goal weight is 145. Any info would be appreciated!

Replies

• drjluther
    Options
    I started south beach diet on jan 9. i lost 4 lbs the first week(actually the first 4 days), and after 10 days started Phase 2. I have been on it foe almost a week, and am not dropping. I have no cravings and, am not eating any refined sugar,(i have organic yogurt and fruit)so I tracked my calories and I am averaging 1000-1300 which is at least half of what I was eating. Could it be that my body is in starvation mode, b/c it is used to eating so much more? If so when will it catch up and realize this is it?

I am eating 3 meals and 3 small snacks a day. I am 5ft 7in, SW was 165 CW is 161 and my goal weight is 145. Any info would be appreciated!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    MFP recommends at least 1200 cals. a day, so if you're eating less than that, you very well COULD BE in starvation mode. Eat more, including any exercise calories, and the weight should start coming off! :smile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Perhaps consider not going below 1200 cals, noone really should go beneath that..it's simply not enough fuel for our bodies.

What cals is MFP suggesting you eat? I'm not familiar with SB diet at all...are you getting in all the carbs, protein, healthy fats, fiber etc. that your body needs according to what MFP has slated for you?

I don't know how long you've been eating on the low end of daily cals but it is possible your weight is effected by that amount being eaten.

I just noticed you want to lose 16 lbs. It takes a bit more time as you get closer to what you have as a goal. Your body doesn't drop the weight as quickly...it might be your body is doing exactly what it feels is best for it.

I'm not quite understanding if you've been doing your diet for 10 days? If so 4 lbs. is pretty darn awesome for that amount of time. :drinker: Ok, so now I see you started it on Jan 9th, perhaps that is the case then, not enough fuel for your body? That's actually only been 16 days with a loss of 4 lbs., but the 1000 cals concerns me, not sure how many days you eat that few of cals.:huh:

Perhaps try adding in more food, drinking plenty of water and eating at least a portion of your excercise cals say at least 50% of them and see how your body responds to that?:flowerforyou:

Wish you the best,
    FC:heart:
  • drjluther
    Options
    Yes, I have been doing it for 16 days. I try to eat 4.5 C of veggies a day, and I just started putting in Grains and fruit. I just started putting my diet in MFP the past couple of days. I was shocked to see it so low, b/c I wasn't hungary. I am starting the exercise this week. It was like 300 calories below what MFP suggested. I think I will add more grains this week. Thanks!
  • ldsupergirl
    Options
    I followed a modified SB diet 3 years ago and at first lost very little. I intensified my workout and added a low sugar low carb soy protein shake, 1000 mg Vitamin C, and a fiber supplement. I started loosing very quickly and lost 30 Lbs in 4 months. Then continued to loose 2 Lbs a week for 10-12 weeks. I must add tht at least 15 pounds were lost within the first couple months after I had a baby. The rest was do to the diet and exercise.

You can do it!!
  • Felixanvk
    Options
    MFP recommends at least 1200 cals. a day, so if you're eating less than that, you very well COULD BE in starvation mode. Eat more, including any exercise calories, and the weight should start coming off! :smile:

I agree, and do not pay attention to much to your weight. Find a pair of jeans that you would like to use again... you might be building up muscle.
    Don't get frustrate, be patient. Rome wasn't build in a day, right? You can do it!