Fed up with dieting

Options
I'm so fed up with dieting. I've been on a diet for as long as I can remember I'm now 5 stone over target. When I put pressure on it's like i do it for a few days then binge. I'm currently on slimming world but there's a lot of carbs and I've heard there not good for you? If I ruin it one day I then go on to eat the whole of Tesco.
I like this app can I just eat what I want within calorie range and ignore the macro bit for now? My meals are fine and healthy I just seem to have no self control some days

Replies

• Sha1911
    Sha1911 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You need to be consistent and have more self control, otherwise what's the point?
    Excercise regularly and keep track of your calories.
    Drop the ready meals and cook your own food, eat whole foods, lean meat and plenty of fruit and veg.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Read what @rainbowbow wrote a few times and then do that.
  • yoyopensioner
    yoyopensioner Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That's what I've been doing since May and it's working for me. When I downloaded MFP I thought I would enter what I'd eaten for a day, see how easy it was and how much too much I was eating, then once I'd psyched myself up to actually diet I would use it properly. It was so easy I've used it every day since and have now lost around 4.5 stone in 6 months, only 2 off target now. Sometimes I look at the macros out of interest, but generally don't take too much notice of them.

If you have a bad day don't beat yourself up about it, it happens to all of us - tomorrow's a new day. Before going off the rails try asking yourself "Is this really what I want or will I wish I hadn't eaten it afterwards?" If the answer is yes I really need a bar of chocolate, pork pie, portion of chips or whatever, really enjoy every single mouthful and don't regret having it. You deserve a break sometimes and with good planning it's really easy with MFP to add treats to every day and still stay under your calories.

You'll find there is lots of support on the forum and we've all had good days and bad days so know just how you're feeling. Take it slowly, be kind to yourself and you will get there :smiley:

• Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Yes, just concentrate on calories and logging what you eat for now. Don't try to set your calorie goal too low so you feel restricted or hungry. I was able to lose easily on net calories 1400 a day. It helps me to plan on 6 small meals of about 200-300 calories a day so I'm able to eat frequently. Drink plenty of water. Get out and exercise or do something else to keep you busy/away from food. Once you're ready you can pay more attention to the nutrient goals on here. They can give you something to work toward--You don't feel like you're avoiding food, but rather, choosing foods for health. You don't have to do low carb or vegetarian or any special diet--Just keep at your calorie goal.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    You need to be having a few more 'good' days so you aren't undoing all your work. Some great suggestions already been posted.
    You have to want to lose badly enough. The good news is that you can change your habits, bit by bit, a day at a time.