The Diet Break.

Options

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever done a full maintenance week. The maintenance days in 5:2 have been very beneficial mentally.

I think I'll end the year with a few weeks of full maintenance.
  • alohajls
    alohajls Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've been restricting calories since August 2015 and have lost about 125 pounds thus far. I took one break this past April--about 10 days of eating roughly at maintenance while my mom visited from out of town (she lives outside the US and wants nothing more than to eat alllll the American food when she comes back!). I still logged and did not gain, and went right back to eating at a deficit.

These days, I admit I am having some pretty serious diet fatigue. I moved, changed jobs, am revisiting some serious knee issues and just want to EAT. Re: the OP, my motivation has definitely dwindled (I now weigh less than I ever have in my adult life) and I have definitely been more food focused, lots more snacking, (but also walking a lot more). After losing 8-12 pounds a month, I've adjusted my goal to a mere .5 pound per week loss. I still have about 30-40 pounds to go to a healthy BMI, and some days it seems far, far away.

Once again, mom is visiting for the next week and I absolutely plan on maintaining or even gaining a couple pounds while still logging, even if not with absolute precision. Then I will go back to a tighter eating plan and get back on track.

As was said above, this feels like I have a plan, as opposed to just aimlessly eating my way to maintenance. Am I a little afraid that this might be the start of drifting back to my old ways? Oh, yes. The siren song of baked goods is strong for me! But I've made it this far, and proven to myself that I can do this, so I am going to push on and see what I can accomplish.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I'm on week two of a diet break, and lemme tell you, I feel about 1000x better and much more prepared for the last leg of my weight loss

Really?

So are you doing maintenance (for now)?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    I'm at the point where it's diet break time, and I think I'm going to gain. At my margins of calories because I'm short, and already eat low fat, and a decent amount of protein, I tend to add more carbs. Oh well. More glycogen will happen. No biggie.

The thing is, I had my weight drop to 116, and this morning the scale bounced back up to 120 for no reason other than I lifted yesterday and had soy sauce and popcorn last night. I'm sick of this ridiculousness. My weight keeps gravitating to 120 no matter what I do and it's been doing that for, oh, I'd say six months.

Do I log every bite? Nope, but I'm vaguely aware of the calories of what I'm not logging and I leave a hefty chunk of exercise calories on the table every day to cover for it.

I'd love to lose some fat off my legs, because they are just chunky. I honestly don't know if I can at this point and it's frustrating.

I know your struggle. Ive been trying to lose this weight for the last 4 years(i have to eat low fat due to a health issue). my weight will go down,then it goes right back up to a certain area no matter what I do.your weight will fluctuate hr by hr,day by day depending on a lot of factors,when you lift heavy you do retain water to help with muscle repair so that could be it along with the extra sodium.I need to lose some fat off my legs too but,its been very very slow

Well, I lift as heavy as I can lift, but I doubt anyone else would call it heavy!

I'm insanely proud of my 15kg deadlift... which is probably pathetic for some. 1 year ago I couldn't do it. So I'll stick to being insanely proud of what I can do :smiley:

I did 70 pounds deadlifting today. New max. I'm so weak, but it was good. It's my favorite lift. I doubt it's my 1RM (I've never tested it), but it's progress.

Most powerlifters will tell you that they never actually max at the gym, and save that stuff for meets. You'll usually see a pretty crazy spread in the weight between their three (or four if going for a record) attempts at a given lift in meets.
  • ticiaelizabeth
    ticiaelizabeth Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I'm on week two of a diet break, and lemme tell you, I feel about 1000x better and much more prepared for the last leg of my weight loss

Really?

Yep, I've been at maintenance calories for a couple weeks now. Ready to take them down a bit again to lose this last 10 pounds. I'd been stuck for months anyhow, all the while eating several hundred calories less, so I'm hoping this has been a good reset for my body.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Really?

Yep, I've been at maintenance calories for a couple weeks now. Ready to take them down a bit again to lose this last 10 pounds. I'd been stuck for months anyhow, all the while eating several hundred calories less, so I'm hoping this has been a good reset for my body.

I'm curious, because I'm sort of in the sameish situation. When you upped to maintenance calories, what did the scale do?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation aswell, trying to lose the last 6-10lbs, I upped my calories yesterday to (sedentary) maintenance calories. What a freeing and happy feeling it was! It's like the pressure and weight was lifted off my shoulders. Like @ticiaelizabeth I've been stuck for months too.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Really?

I'm curious, because I'm sort of in the sameish situation. When you upped to maintenance calories, what did the scale do?

Since the person you quoted hasn't answered, I will. Now granted, my experience will be a little different, because I ran an extremely restrictive cut (>18g carbs, and only enough fat for EFAs) that was also VLCD. What I did was set my maintenance calories to maintenance -20%, and increased slowly over the two weeks, finally going back to cutting after getting back to my "true" maintenance calories (2100).

With the reintroduction of carbs, I saw my scale weight go from 162 to 167 by the end of the two weeks. However, considering that I had started the cut at 177, it was still a success. I also noticed that my chest, shoulder, arm, and thigh measurements skyrocketed over that two weeks, while my waist and hip measurements only saw a minimal increase. It was all glycogen recoup, and while it was a little difficult, I had to make myself ignore the scale while still recording it for a few days.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Really?

Since the person you quoted hasn't answered, I will. Now granted, my experience will be a little different, because I ran an extremely restrictive cut (>18g carbs, and only enough fat for EFAs) that was also VLCD. What I did was set my maintenance calories to maintenance -20%, and increased slowly over the two weeks, finally going back to cutting after getting back to my "true" maintenance calories (2100).

With the reintroduction of carbs, I saw my scale weight go from 162 to 167 by the end of the two weeks. However, considering that I had started the cut at 177, it was still a success. I also noticed that my chest, shoulder, arm, and thigh measurements skyrocketed over that two weeks, while my waist and hip measurements only saw a minimal increase. It was all glycogen recoup, and while it was a little difficult, I had to make myself ignore the scale while still recording it for a few days.

Well, I've already come off a run of that same cut you were doing to a more reasonable deficit and had the scale jump from the glycogen replenishment. I'm nervous about yet another jump.

I keep having this pattern of losing 2 pounds and then having the scale jump back up to 120 no matter what I did RFL... back to deficit, jumped to 120 sat there for months, no matter what.

Did RFL again. Got down to 116. And yup. Back to 120 on a "normal" deficit. I'm so over this.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Really?

Well, I've already come off a run of that same cut you were doing to a more reasonable deficit and had the scale jump from the glycogen replenishment. I'm nervous about yet another jump.

I keep having this pattern of losing 2 pounds and then having the scale jump back up to 120 no matter what I did RFL... back to deficit, jumped to 120 sat there for months, no matter what.

Did RFL again. Got down to 116. And yup. Back to 120 on a "normal" deficit. I'm so over this.

As I mentioned on my BodyRecomp community, I noticed an interesting trend upon getting back on. Within three days of starting my C1 run, my weight had dropped right back to where it was when I ended my C2 run and moved to maintenance climbing. This tells me two very important things: 1) I had my maintenance cals dialed in about right. 2) My carb refeeds were pretty much on point with type and quantity, as almost all of the scale drop happened in the day of, and two days following a depletion session to start the run.

I think I peed close to 20 times per day for those first three days.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Really?

As I mentioned on my BodyRecomp community, I noticed an interesting trend upon getting back on. Within three days of starting my C1 run, my weight had dropped right back to where it was when I ended my C2 run and moved to maintenance climbing. This tells me two very important things: 1) I had my maintenance cals dialed in about right. 2) My carb refeeds were pretty much on point with type and quantity, as almost all of the scale drop happened in the day of, and two days following a depletion session to start the run.

I am so not awake yet. It took entirely too long for what you were saying here to click for me!

I'm going to try to eat at slightly below maintenance for a little bit then try another run in a week or so.

Editing: Honestly, I need to get over the scale and start caring more about body fat, because I am losing it. I've noticed places that it's just emptying out and I'm very happy about that.

That's what I did. As my true maintenance is close to 2100, I started at 1630, and slowly added on over the two weeks. It allowed my body to level back out from the cut, without doing it's normal thing and trying to put the damned fat back on.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited November 2016
    Options

Really?

I am so not awake yet. It took entirely too long for what you were saying here to click for me!

I'm going to try to eat at slightly below maintenance for a little bit then try another run in a week or so.

Editing: Honestly, I need to get over the scale and start caring more about body fat, because I am losing it. I've noticed places that it's just emptying out and I'm very happy about that.

As you get leaner, it's less about the scale and more about the mirror I find.

That is honestly what I care about. The vanity thing I have is that I want to be in the "lean" category for my age (I'm 54). I have loose skin like nobody's business, so I'll never look great, but I can get my body fat down and accomplish something I've never done in my entire life.

Them feels, I know them. I may not have the worst loose skin in the world, but it's enough to make calipers inaccurate as hell, and throw the appearance of certain parts of my body right to hell. It's the price I get to keep paying for the years I spent as a disgusting landslug. I also refuse to get it removed until I've been sub-15 for at least a couple of years. It functions as a constant reminder to never let my diet and training fall off again. Same with the stupid amount of stretch marks, though those are now heavily faded.