Having a hard time on my MACROS

Options
I'm on week two of macro dieting and I'm having a hard time consuming all the food. I'm currently at 40% fat 40% protein 20% carbs. On a 1400 daily calories intake. I often have anywhere form 300-600 calories left. I usually leave all my carbs and eat most of my protein and fat. Should I force myself to eat? Although I feel fine? My goal is to lose weight. I also have started lifting.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of protein and not hard to understand it's hard to hit - any reason you you've chosen that split? Be certain that you are logging correctly. You can undereat for a while until the effect hits you, but it will hit you, so it's always best to aim for an even intake whenever possible.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    1400kcal 40% fat = 62g that's easy.
    140g of protein is tough unless using protein supplements. Just be sure you get the proper fiber to fight constipation.
    70g of carbs is easy but you'd probably want to make it a while foods and stick with leafy greens to get your fiber and nutrients.

Get some protein from Optimum Nutrition. Go for the natural whey so the carb count is extremely low. 2 scoops is 46g protein and easy to stomach.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    You are only eating 800-1100 calories per day and feel too full? i honestly don't see how thats possible. I also eat a 40-40-20 Macro breakdown, but 2500-2800 calories per day. I'm 5'6, 115 lbs. If you feel good eating the way you are eating than I don't see the problem, except that if you are not eating any carbs you are likely missing out on vitamins and mineral found in vegetables, fruits, dairy and whole grains that all have carbs in them. Most of my carbs come form vegetables and dairy with a little whole grain.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    OP: On a 1400 cal diet, you can only eat 800-1100 cals a day because you feel too full?

That just boggles the mind!

Sounds like the problem is just eating enough, not the macros.

What's your estimated BMR & TDEE?

In a normal situation, your daily cal intake should be no less than your BMR and, if you want to lose weight at a controlled rate, you should eat about 10% below your TDEE.

• lcorrales2587
    lcorrales2587 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am only 5'1" and I have over 150# to lose, I feel full because prior to starting I fasted a lot and only ate one nasty meal a day that contained 1400 plus calories in that one meal. Now I'm faced with having to eat clean. I do incorporate peas organic spinach lettuce tuna lean chicken breast eggs. I may need to just get the protein powder.
  • superstargalaxy
    superstargalaxy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You should definitely aim to hit your total calories for the day, especially because you're lifting. You may not be feeling the fatigue right now, but sooner or later it's going to hit you like a wall.

You'll start having a lack of energy and focus. Which in the end will make it harder to maintain your diet or your lifting sessions.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I am only 5'1" and I have over 150# to lose, I feel full because prior to starting I fasted a lot and only ate one nasty meal a day that contained 1400 plus calories in that one meal. Now I'm faced with having to eat clean. I do incorporate peas organic spinach lettuce tuna lean chicken breast eggs. I may need to just get the protein powder.
    You aren't faced with having to eat clean. Eating clean does not equate to weight loss. You can still include other foods that you believe you need to cut out, such as chocolate and chips/your favourite snacks as such (as treats). Stop labeling foods as 'nasty' and 'good'. Food is food. This is unhealthy an can eventually lead to orthorexia (a fear of eating certain foods or food groups and an obsession for eating clean) I generally tend to follow a very loose rule of 80% nutritious and 20% 'junk' food and am doing fine. Weight loss is all about calories and energy balance.

Do you use a digital scale for your food? It may be possible that you are underestimating your fat and protein if you are using spoons/cups/estimating. You mention not eating carbs; veggies are carbs and carbs are perfectly fine. If you are feeling too full on your split:
    • Start weighing ALL your foods. This includes oils, butters, nut butters, mayo. Weigh everything, even pre-packaged foods.
    • Shift your macro split to a 30f 30p 40c
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I am only 5'1" and I have over 150# to lose, I feel full because prior to starting I fasted a lot and only ate one nasty meal a day that contained 1400 plus calories in that one meal.

Unless you're eating a Big Mac w/a Supersized order of fries and soda (or a similar fast food meal), most of us would have a problem eating 1400+ cals in just one sitting.

It is normally recommended to eat at least 3 (to as many as 6 smaller) meals a day. If you choose 4, which is what I do on a 2k cal diet, that would only be 350 cals per meal, which should be very easy to accomplish eating "clean" and w/o feeling full.

To give you an example, a normal breakfast consisting of 2 large eggs, a 4 oz serving of lean ham and 1 piece of toast w/1 tbsp of butter (no jam) with a glass of whole milk would exceed 600 cals. Drop the butter and whole milk and substitute black coffee, water or tea for a drink and you be at about 350.

On the other hand, just 1 cupcake or brownie can exceed 350 cals.

So, it seems that you just need to learn how to log and plan your meals better in order to achieve your caloric goals.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

But you said in the OP that you are getting most of your protein and fat and leaving usually all of your carbs, so it doesn't sound you like you need to waste money on protein supplements. Eat some fruit, oatmeal, bread, starchy veg, rice, etc.