Need some inspiration from non dieters

Options
honeybee739
honeybee739 Posts: 66 Member
edited November 2016 in Success Stories
I need some inspiration from people who ditched the diets and prescribed eating styles and lost weight just by only counting calories. Aka ate what they wanted within their calorie allottment. Also, did calorie counting naturally help you to start choosing healthier options as you continued with tracking? Did you slowly start eating more fruits and veggies without the forceful diet mentality? I don't want to go on a diet anymore. I simply can't stick to them.

Replies

• honeybee739
    honeybee739 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't eat grilled chicken, steamed broccoli, salmon and salad. LoVe.

Sounds very sustainable with sanity!! Thank you for your response!
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I just started Calorie Counting on November 1st because I was so sick of diets also I wanted to eat cookies still haha I have lost 6.4lbs since the 1st I should also mention I don't exercise at all! I lost 22lbs total since Oct 2015
  • NJCJF
    NJCJF Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    laur357 wrote: »
    I've lost 40 pounds this way after losing 25 on Weight Watchers. I eat what I want, but did start to change some things so it fits in my daily calorie allotment. It didn't bother me because I wasn't taking out the things I really wanted.
    If I want pizza, I might eat a lighter lunch and have salad or roasted vegetables on the side.
    If I go out for brunch, I might have a lower calorie soup for dinner.
    If I know I'm going to have a big eating day or weekend, I eat a fewer calories on days throughout the week.
    If I want to eat a basket of fried cheese sticks, I eat it with a salad or vegetable soup - not as an appetizer before a platter of chicken wings.

I think this is how people who are at a healthy weight maintain it. They have things they want, but not constantly or in huge amounts. I do really like vegetables when they're well-prepared, so I'm pretty happy when I have a huge pile of Parmesan roasted broccoli to round out my steak and small baked potato dinner.
    At no time did I eat plain chicken breast with steamed broccoli or salmon and salad every day for a week or stop eating potatoes, rice, and pasta or drink shakes for half the day.

I also think planning and have a general idea of my schedule is helpful. If I know I'm eating out on Saturday and getting pizza on Wednesday, I can plan lower calorie meals at other times. I'm not saying that there's no work involved in this, but for me, it's been very tolerable and I have no problems doing it for very, very extended periods of time.
    And, if there's a food I have a hard time moderating (chips, all the chips), I don't keep them in my house or only buy a very small bag. Because any entire bag of chips is a single serving to me.

Best wishes!

Thank you for this. Great advice!
  • tracypreiss
    tracypreiss Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've lost 25 pounds using mfp and it works for me. I have days where I eat all healthy and days where i have a piece of pizza or ice cream cake. As long as you keep track of what you eat it will work. I've been on this since August and I just recently started exercising.
  • mattdhall
    mattdhall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I lost 60 pounds just counting calories, not even really exercising. Maybe a 3 mile walk once a week. I just budgeted foods I really liked. I'm a big fast food fan, which makes it a lot easier, I think. All of the major chains have extensive nutritional information posted on their web sites. And their food is very consistent, so no real surprises, calorie-wise. Looking at a restaurant's nutritional chart makes it easy to see where you can cut several hundred calories off of a meal.
    Frozen dinners worked really well for me, too. I've found a lot of them I like that are between 200 and 400 calories. They take care of the portion control for you, which is nice.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Also, did calorie counting naturally help you to start choosing healthier options as you continued with tracking? Did you slowly start eating more fruits and veggies without the forceful diet mentality?

background: i lost around 10-15 pounds on my own before i heard of mfp. no dieting, nothing very organized aside from 'no cookies!'. with mfp logging, i bumped myself off a plateau and lost another 10 or 12 or around that. then i quit logging and just lifted and ate, and regained about 20 pounds over about a year. i've been very slowly reversing that trend for most of this year but i don't log any more. it works, or at least it worked really well for me. but i'm just over it, temperamentally.

to your question: what happened with me and logging is it bores me to purple tears once i've gotten over the first interest. and once 'my' food list starts to get all clogged up with things i ate once and that keep coming back.

so yes, it did change and clarify a lot of my eating habits while i was doing it. but to be honest, mostly it 'fixed' me by having such an annoying (to me) user interface. i'd found a cluster of things that had already worked, so i'd do stuff like 'i'll just eat [this] because here it is on the first page and i'm just fecked if i'm goign to go looking through 900 disorganized entries for what i actually feel like eating.' or, literally: 'i'm not eating these gummy bears because it's going to take me 17 mouse-clicks and three scrolls just to freaking find them. can't be arsed, i'll just forget about them.'

now i'm back to 'NO COOKIES!' and frequent scale checks to keep an eye on the general trend. which is inching downwards, but i'm honestly not in a hurry at all. if i were, i would probably use mfp and find it just as restrictive and unsustainable for the long term as any diet could be.

i will reiterate that it works though. this is just me being ornery and having no patience for certain things.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting didn't make me conscious of what I was eating, IIFYM did though.
  • NanP135
    NanP135 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have done it this way 24 pounds down
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Agree w/folks who basically quit "dieting" and made up an eating plan that fit their lifestyle. I did the same two years ago; only log now to keep track of how much I'm eating. I feel that it's a lifestyle not a project or diet w/an end date. I eat cake, cookies, pizza, etc., but not every day--eat veggies (usually frozen w/no additives), lean proteins, etc. If I do over indulge I don't stress, just pick back up and start over. Original plan was to lose abt seven or eight lbs; ended up losing 11. Design a plan w/foods you enjoy and you're more likely to stick with it; good luck! B)
  • olsalt
    olsalt Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I counted calories sticking close to 1500 calories a day eating the normal foods I always ate. Only difference was not eating nearly as much (portion control) and also walked 10 miles plus a day 7 days a week. Went from 265lbs to 150lbs in a little over a year.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have lost 20 pounds this way. I eat whatever I want as long as it fits my calories. I found it motivates me to move more if I know that will make the difference to allow me to have a chocolate or homemade baking or whatever. I also chose to do a long term change of losing 50 pounds over two years. I'm almost half way there and it is so very doable.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    The best thing I have ever done for myself is to stop dieting! I can't say this enough. I am eating the way I want to while still enjoying the foods I love. This is how I'm going to eat the rest of my life.

I started eating what I want within my calorie goal. After a few months I started learning what kept me satisfied and what was worth eating only once in awhile.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,007 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with @laur357 that counting calories also helped me to make some better decisions when I knew there were high calorie days ahead. Counting calories helps me determine how much to eat and really affected my portion sizes. In some cases, there were easy swaps for lower calorie items, but it didn't necessarily mean the swaps were any healthier. I still have things that would be considered less healthy choices, like alcohol and some candy. If it fits my calories and macros, I actually don't sweat it. Could I make better choices sometimes to have fruit, veggies, or other carbs? Sure...but I don't like depriving myself if I have the extra calories.

However, I think tracking my macros (protein, carbs, fats) helps me the most to make better decisions in what to eat and usually leads me to typically healthier choices. I researched macro ratios since the default here is way too high in carbs for me, and way too low in proteins, so I adjusted for my needs - YMMV. My biggest goal when I'm properly tracking my macros (haven't been doing as well lately, just been focused on calorie counting mostly) is to try to meet my protein goal first, and then balance with the carbs and fats. I've also been trying harder to get enough fiber in my diet, so that is an additional macro that I watch now.

It can sometimes require a little futzing with the macro ratios to find the best one for you to sustain. But I'm also getting close to starting maintenance mode, so there will be other changes in calories and macros for that season of this journey.

But start with one thing first...and that should be counting calories if you are attempting to lose. As you feel you have a good handle on the calories, add looking at your macros and trying to fit your choices into the best ratio for your personal needs. When you do both, you'll probably have a calorie deficit and a better balance in your food choices.
  • Brittanypomales
    Brittanypomales Posts: 60 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    After a period of continuous tracking you can guess how many calories things have without putting them in. It makes it easier to determine the "worth" of what I am eating. "Do I really want to spring for that class of wine today?" It's easy to overeat when you are unaware. I call them "calorie dangers" things that don't make the meal taste better and total up the calories. A standard meal out can easily run you 1000+ calories with all the cheeses, sauces, etc. for some of us that is a good portion of our entire day for just one meal. Tracking is about changing your mind set about the food versus just changing your food.

Good luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!