vegetarians: where do you get your Iron?

Options
2»

Replies

• phonerobot
    phonerobot Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My iron levels were at 5 after two years of vegetarianism. I corrected that when I realized what protein and iron really are and how they are properly assimilated in the body. Http://electricfoodlife.com sums it up... I lost weight and now I understand how to get food groups for iron and protein efficiency.
  • LisaVeganBHScNutrition
    Options
    Nuts and seeds, dark green leafys like kale, silverbeet, spinach and broccoli, rocket, Brussel sprouts, legumes and other veggies like peas, green beans, mushrooms, eggplant, capsicums, sweet potato etc etc. Endless food. :) Herbs and spices are actually great for iron too also like turmeric, parsley, basil etc.
  • crimsongrey
    crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    fernt21 wrote: »
    I'm not a vegetarian but i became anemic last year and therefore monitor my iron intake now. I was surprised to see that the cocoa powder i add to my shake gives me 30% of my recommended daily iron intake, go figure (2 TBSP, 40 calories). It also is a good source of antioxidants. Just add to oatmeal or yogurt or shakes or make hot cocoa.

Thanks for all the input! This is my favorite idea :smiley:
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Cook in a cast iron pan. Gives your food an iron boost (really).
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I have eaten both vegetarian and omnivore (vegetarian for 20 years) and there was never any relationship between eating meat and anemia for me, personally. If you need to boost the hemoglobin, Floradix is the best supplement.
  • tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My iron levels have always been low, even before going vegan, so i take floradix with vitamin C. All other iron supplements give me a stomach ache except this one!