Mom's trying to get in shape, what's your favorite time efficient workout?!

Options
Hey y'all!! I'm a 24 year old momma to a beautiful 8 month old. She's still nursing as well, so I can't go too hard with calorie restriction. I finally joined a gym closer to home so I can go when she's sleeping (and dad can watch her). What do you do to fit in a workout? Our gym also has a daycare which is awesome for weekends when we have more time!!

Replies

• jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Wow awesome that you could join a gym! Since having my babies I turned to home workouts because it's more convenient, time efficient and it leaves me no excuse.

For time effective, check out kettlebell workouts? Mixes resistance training with cardio, you get a lot of bang for your buck. You have to take classes before getting intto it alone though because proper form is really important.

I lift weights most days and HIIT cardio 1-2 times per week with Body Beast.
  • allthatgliitters
    allthatgliitters Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender workouts are my saviour!
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Running, truthfully. 30 minutes is about 300 -400 calorie burn, depending on your weight, not to mention the amazing benefits to your cardiovascular/pulmonary health. And, you don't have to drive anywhere to do it. Just go round your hood. I say it's efficient because of the high calorie burn for the time, being steady-state cardio.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Running, for both the reasons @mommanurse mentioned: it burns calories very quickly, and you can go from your front door so you don't have to invest time commuting to a gym.

If you're exercising to burn calories for weight, it's going to be a matter of the more time you invest, the more you'll burn. That's just simple math. Any exercise you do is going to burn X calories per minute, and that means you'll burn more with more minutes. :wink:
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    @Sardelsa should be able to shed some light.

I'm pretry sure nursing burns ALOT of calories and I would think you should be eating sufficient amount or you'll be in a bigger deficit than you think.

Also to your post OP, time of exercise that is best is when you can today and when tomorrow is tomorrow. It's relative to the individual.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It is great that you are able to have some you time at the gym!

What exercise do you enjoy? It doesn't have to be anything crazy, maybe try out some classes at your gym, follow a weight lifting program etc.

Try different things out and see what you like. I workout at home and lift weights, also I do yoga and some cardio here and there, I enjoy kickboxing, interval training, stairclimber etc.

Since your babe is a little older and likely on some solids, you aren't burning as much but still a sufficient amount. Definitely fuel and hydrate adequately and keep an eye on your supply. Good luck!