Weight Gain

Options
I'm 18 5'7 and 160 pounds. I've always stayed around 125-130 until I was put on Prozac and started college. I've gained 30 pounds in the past 3 months and it has really brought me down. I need all the motivation I can get. I've never been so insecure of my body

Replies

• CaladriaNapea
    CaladriaNapea Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It's totally understandable to feel down after gaining so much weight recently! Realize that Prozac and starting college (cheers for the freshman fifteen!) are both perfectly natural reasons for gaining weight.

I would really recommend that you start regularly tracking everything you eat. Weigh solid foods and measure liquid foods as much as you can (I know this can be difficult in a college cafeteria, but try to do it if at all possible). Maybe don't focus specifically on losing weight for a week or two, just try to figure out what patterns that you have implemented have led to this sudden weight gain. When I started college, it was the free access to a soft serve machine. Two ice cream cones a day definitely added up. After you recognize some patterns that are leading to weight gain, then you can try to change them one or two at a time. After you implement one healthier habit and it becomes more natural then you can move on to the next one.

Also, you might want to consider working out. It doesn't have to be anything big, even regular brisk walking can help with depression and anxiety and help you feel more positive about your body. Other things you can do include getting 7-9 hours of sleep whenever possible and using destressing techniques, which can both combat weight gain.

Remember that weight gain and weight loss are reliant on calories in vs. calories out. Prozac may have slowed your metabolism (or something else, I am definitely not a doctor . . .) and college tends to provide more access to large amounts of food (and stress!), but by replacing unhealthy habits with healthier ones and decreasing your calorie consumption (not too much though, very low calorie diets just make it worse), you can gradually regain control of your weight.

You can do it! If you need any help or support then please feel free to PM or friend me.