Home or gym???

Options
Just wondering what everyone preference is going to the gym or home workouts? In the past I've been successful at both...... currently successful at non

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Home for me! I run and I have a gym room with weights bench and bike in
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym specifically for the weight room...I don't have adequate space in my home for a home gym, so that's pretty much a non-starter...not to mention, I get distracted at home with the family around and a laundry list of chores to do...the gym is "me" time and I don't have to think or worry about anything other than killing it.

As cardio goes, I primarily ride my bike and when it's too gnarly to be outside I use my indoor trainer and a spinning DVD.
  • von66
    von66 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I did enjoy the 'me' time at the gym but the cost and class timings etc are putting me off
  • von66
    Options
    Ive got home gym in garage..... everything in there but me !!! Do plenty of walking always over 10,000 steps. Done nothing serious for years and broke my foot last winter.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Home gym.
  • allthatgliitters
    allthatgliitters Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Home i have never stepped foot in a gym and dont pla on doing. Im not gunna pay for what i have at home or outdoors ☺
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I prefer my home gym. I don't have all the equipment I want, but I have what I need.

I could do without the centipedes though. Yerkkk.. :s
  • fitnoverfifty59
    fitnoverfifty59 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym because of the weights and being able to workout in all kinds of weather. I also got a cheap used Nordic Track ski machine to use at home when I am not motivated to go. My gym is only $29 a month and has all I need. I don't do the classes; I just like to workout alone. I highly recommend doing weight training 2-3 times a week; it's great to feel strong even when I am overweight. My clothes fit better too! Do what works for you but have a realistic goal to workout a few times a week. As you progress you can add more.
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    A little biased here as a group fitness instructor, but I prefer a gym. I tend to stay in my comfort zone more when I am at home (unless I'm running!). I feel pushed and motivated by the people around me working hard.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Gym. Spoiled rotten princess here who won't step down from using competition grade equipment and doesn't have the room at home to put it. Besides, easy access to my coaches rocks.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Home! I have a cramped basement gym and love it. I tend to collect a lot of fitness paraphernalia, but honestly could do everything I need to with just the Oly weight set/bench/squat stands and pull up bar.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    both
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Home gym and exercising outdoors when I can.

I have everything I need in my home gym and I am constantly adding new things. I love the fact that I'm the only one that uses my own things, it's a 1 minute commute from my bedroom too so no more excuses like in the past (weather, time of day, don't feel like driving anywhere etc.)

Plus I work well alone, don't get distracted or need others for motivation so my setup works very well for me. It has taken years to build up however.

Perhaps try Youtube workouts at home first, then get a gym membership once you find your motivation?
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Gym! With four pets underfoot and a limited budget, it's easier and less expensive.
  • von66
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I can see my local leisure centre from my house so no problem getting there. I mainly did classes occasionally used pool or main gym. I loved classes because you do push yourself harder but sometimes for me it wasn't so great because I think at times I did more than I was really capable of and picked up injuries. I did enjoy the banter of the gym. I have got well stocked home gym and around 50 DVDs but struggle at times to motivate myself. In summer I do more walking especially hills usually around 6-10 miles. Need to do a lot more though I've gotten lazy in my middle age!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Home - with plans to do a home gym with all the equipment on craigslist that folks give up on too soon:).
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm a home girl. Not to easy to find excuses not to go. Gym membership wasn't worth it for me. We're all different. What you'll stick to, is what's important.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    We've just set up a home gym to save money. I'm enjoying it a LOT so far. Not waiting around for a bench is pretty awesome. Not so awesome? A treadmill instead of an indoor track.
  • von66
    Options
    I do remember the waiting around to go on equipment which is one of the reasons I didn't go in the gym often.... especially if I had waited a while then someone comes in as another is getting off and they jumped straight on!!!! The gym had a twenty minutes rule to limit time on equipment if gym was busy but nobody ever stuck to it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I can't / don't work out at home. I need the ritual of changing for the gym and going to the gym and being in a gym environment

I can't steel myself to exercise at home cos the dog attacks me or the children interrupt me