Any Sprinters?

Options
I run the 100,200 and 400m and wanted to get advice on any workouts, diet or weight training/ conditioning that can help me and others improve. Any suggestions/tips will be appreciated :)

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Find a good sprinting coach. You'll get much better information than on here.
  • Coachjr29
    Coachjr29 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I run the 100,200 and 400m and wanted to get advice on any workouts, diet or weight training/ conditioning that can help me and others improve. Any suggestions/tips will be appreciated :)

I actually coach track and field. It all depends what phase of the season you are in. If you don't compete till sprint I wouldn't do too much volume of high intensity sprints. I've seen cases where athletes thought they would get a jump start months season and end up with stress fracures or shin splints before the season even started. I would use the off-season to stay in good cardio shape and build strength and power. The sprinting I would keep at 75% intensity at the most and increasing volume as the season approaches. Tempo runs would be good to do here. Figure 1600m of volume. One day run 4-400m at 70% speed with 2 min rest in between. Lift the next day. Then do 8-200m the same way. Rest day. Then 16-100m. Then lift next day. And so on.
  • Coachjr29
    Options
    I meant compete in spring
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Do plyos. Real plyos are ones where you drop from a platform and spring from the ground with the least amount of time in contact with the ground as possible. These only have to be done a couple times per week, and the sessions should be pretty short. You're not trying to wear yourself out, just develop quick twitch muscle fibers that will form while you rest.
    Practice your technique: Reaction time for the start, drive phase, acceleration and maximum velocity. There is a lot of information online about the the different phases of sprinting and the proper form for each.
    There is a lot of sitting around at meets. Many make the mistake of overdoing it with their warm up routine.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options

Having read what the above-members have recommended you, I've not much to add but for one essential. If at all possible, do prioritise signing up for some gymnastics flexibility coaching techniques/drills to aid your sprint height - high knee lift/stride length. You needn't be excessive about it, just the basics.
  • Coachjr29
    Options
    mgalovic01 wrote: »
    Do plyos. Real plyos are ones where you drop from a platform and spring from the ground with the least amount of time in contact with the ground as possible. These only have to be done a couple times per week, and the sessions should be pretty short. You're not trying to wear yourself out, just develop quick twitch muscle fibers that will form while you rest.
    Practice your technique: Reaction time for the start, drive phase, acceleration and maximum velocity. There is a lot of information online about the the different phases of sprinting and the proper form for each.
    There is a lot of sitting around at meets. Many make the mistake of overdoing it with their warm up routine.

Yes!!! Should have mentioned plyo. Do Olympic lifts if you know them. Squats and deadlifts are good staples. Eccentric hamstring exercises would be good as well.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Hip thrusts are a great addition.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options

Isometric exercises would be beneficial to you, as you would need the combination of fast and slow twitch muscle engagement to excel at your events. You would need to isolate the full range of motion of your running style for your sprints and middle distance events and execute the proper isometric joint/angle strengthening to enhance your performance.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I think the reality is that the vast majority of runners on here are endurance focused, so aren't really in the space you're looking for advice from. Those who would claim to sprint are essentially talking gridders as an adjunt to resistance training, rather than anything else.

• Coachjr29
    Options
    As far as increasing sprinting speed goes it's about increasing stride frequency and length. Work sprint mechanics for stride length and increase power for frequency. It's that simple. Best way to increase power is what has already been mentioned above. Lifting weights at high intensity and plyometrics.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Stride frequency is a nervous system thing. Quick feet drills geared more towards sprinting than agility could help with that.
  • johnhanlonmoralles
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback ! Appreciate it :)