Clean eating friends?

Options
Hi

Looking for friends with open diaries who follow a mostly clean diet - and by clean I mean healthy and not excluding any food groups - looking for some meal ideas and motivation

Thanks

Replies

• xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Used to do LCHF a couple years ago and now I'm back at it the healthy way just like you. I want to find a balanced healthy way of losing weight. I have 40-50lbs to lose! Adding you!! :)
  • nursekirsty
    nursekirsty Posts: 110 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Nothing overly processed and a balanced diet!
  • nursekirsty
    nursekirsty Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I get that but I want to be a bit healthier in my food choices unsure why that is so wrong or frowned upon? My current food choices are pretty bad and not really great for calorie counting and over all health - sometimes it's better to ask more questions rather than assume what someone is meaning and respond in a deregotry manner
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Hi

Looking for friends with open diaries who follow a mostly clean diet - and by clean I mean healthy and not excluding any food groups - looking for some meal ideas and motivation

Thanks

I don't consider myself a clean eater (and my diary is not open) but I do feel better when I eat mostly whole foods and very little ultra processed foods as defined by the Brazilian government.

You might find some meal ideas/recipes here: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes

My favorite recipe email subscription is to America's Test Kitchen - the recipes in the emails are unlocked for a month, after which time you need a paid subscription. My mother gets me this every year for Christmas.

My favorite cookbook is "The Joy of Cooking" - I've had one since the 80s.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    My diary is open ,, and i know what you mean i tend to choose things that give me more volume of food for the calories i consume , like veggies verses candy bar .. much more food when eating veggie than eating a candy bar ..

im just a rookie tho

good luck
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    red99ryder wrote: »
    My diary is open ,, and i know what you mean i tend to choose things that give me more volume of food for the calories i consume , like veggies verses candy bar .. much more food when eating veggie than eating a candy bar ..

im just a rookie tho

good luck

If you're right, you must be a mind-reader, because I didn't see anything in any of the OP's posts that suggested by "clean" or "healthy" she meant high-volume (low-calorie-density) foods.
  • FemmeFireRL
    FemmeFireRL Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    FR sent
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    red99ryder wrote: »

im just a rookie tho

good luck

If you're right, you must be a mind-reader, because I didn't see anything in any of the OP's posts that suggested by "clean" or "healthy" she meant high-volume (low-calorie-density) foods.

Well i got the open diary open part , One nice part about this site for me is all the different people . In all stages of health , weight loss , weight gain , fitness ect . really no right or wrong answer to eating clean , just the one we have .

good luck
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is great if its sustainable for u, but for most people who successfully lose weight (iv lost 52lbs) its Just counting calories and getting as much satisfaction from those calories as u can that stops them from failing, especially if its a long journey your on. Dont get too hung up on just eating clean, a little of what u fancy does u good...never a truer word said.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    When people think they need to "eat clean", it almost always means they're going to starve themselves on kale and apple cider vinegar for about a week, then crash and burn and fail to stick to their unsustainable diet.

My diary is open. I lost 80 lbs by eating whatever made me feel satisfied within my calorie limit.

Don't feel guilty about food. Food is there to be enjoyed in moderation.
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty simple and mainly healthy diet :) Feel free to add x
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily have a "clean" diet (especially these last few weeks, haha!) but my diary is open and my intent is to return to normal this week. Feel free to add me. :)
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    In my opinion I eat pretty healthy, but not sure if you would agree- I used to be a "clean" eater... all organic mostly whole foods nothing processed no refined sugar no caffeine no alcohol no gluten... I still eat mostly this way, but now I've relaxed a little and allow myself a few treats per day and chocolate protein bars. Feel free to add if you want to check out my diary.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Not an open diary but: I don't consider how I eat "clean," and would probably get mocked by the Clean Eating Crowd, but I eat very little processed food. I buy my meat and eggs from a local vendor who raises them on pasture. I get a CSA share in the summer and most of my vegetables come with the greens and the dirt still on them (reminds me: I need to scrub out the veggie bins now that my share year is over!). We make almost all of our own baked goods, including bread. My average macro breakdown over time, not trying for any specific division, has been about 30-40% fat, 40-50% carb, 20-30% protein.

WIthin all that? I enjoy cookies (oatmeal chocolate chip are my favorite). I fry up a batch of falafel or pakoras every once in a while, and when my kids said they missed french fries, I cut my own from potatoes and made the best fries I've had in years. Homemade Eggs Benedict with freshly made Hollandaise sauce turns out to not be out of my calorie range for dinner! And biscuit-topped pot pie is a family favorite too.

"Clean" is meaningless. Some people are now defining it as requiring you to be gluten free, or grain free, or dairy free, or soy-free. Some people think it means paleo. Some people think it means vegan. It has about as much meaning as the word "toned" does (except in music, where "toned" has a pretty clear definition!).
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    Not an open diary but: I don't consider how I eat "clean," and would probably get mocked by the Clean Eating Crowd, but I eat very little processed food. I buy my meat and eggs from a local vendor who raises them on pasture. I get a CSA share in the summer and most of my vegetables come with the greens and the dirt still on them (reminds me: I need to scrub out the veggie bins now that my share year is over!). We make almost all of our own baked goods, including bread. My average macro breakdown over time, not trying for any specific division, has been about 30-40% fat, 40-50% carb, 20-30% protein.

WIthin all that? I enjoy cookies (oatmeal chocolate chip are my favorite). I fry up a batch of falafel or pakoras every once in a while, and when my kids said they missed french fries, I cut my own from potatoes and made the best fries I've had in years. Homemade Eggs Benedict with freshly made Hollandaise sauce turns out to not be out of my calorie range for dinner! And biscuit-topped pot pie is a family favorite too.

"Clean" is meaningless. Some people are now defining it as requiring you to be gluten free, or grain free, or dairy free, or soy-free. Some people think it means paleo. Some people think it means vegan. It has about as much meaning as the word "toned" does (except in music, where "toned" has a pretty clear definition!).

I think that seems really balanced. Maybe not to the clean eating police, but myself I see you go the extra mile by selecting and cooking/baking most of your food, which is great since that puts you in control of what you eat. I don't see anything wrong with enjoying your favorite foods once in a while, especially making your own, such as making your own fries occasionally. It's all about not excluding anything, while making the effort of including healthy foods, all the while figuring out a way that works for you and your family. Great job, sounds like you've done just that!
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I changed my diet to a more healthy one back in April and am still doing so. I've only just started adding to my food diary again, but it's open.
    It's very hard on here to post about healthy or clean eating without being attacked or told you don't need to do it. Whether you need to or not isn't always the question but you get that answer anyway.
    The last week I've had no money (after starting a new job and waiting to get paid) so lived on porridge, pasta, beans on toast and a small amount of veg. I could certainly feel a difference not getting the usual healthy foods I was eating before and now I'm back to eating my healthy diet I have more energy again and feel so much better. That's why I try eat a more healthy diet with less processed foods and added sugar etc.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    My diary is only open to friends, but I tend to follow the 70-80% nutritious and the rest 'unheathy' treats. I eat everything in moderation, and that, to me, is a healthy mindset with food. I don't demoize any food or food groups as I've had orthorxia in the past, and that is NOT fun.

I am glad that you don't want to eat your friends, OP. :P

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    cjvp6iw3cu5x.png

This discussion has been significantly cleaned up. I'd like to remind folks that this is not a debate. The OP (original poster) is looking for like-minded friends. OP very specifically stated that she was looking for meal ideas and motivation. She did not request a definition of the term 'clean eating', and wasn't asking for opinions regarding whether or not others agreed with her choices. More than half the posts in this discussion were removed thanks to this turning into something of a dumpster-fire over the words 'clean eating'.

Come on, guys. We're better than that.

If you're interested in relevant reading materials, you can read our community guidelines here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines Or our flagging and reporting info: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10007789/flagged-content-reported-posts-warning-points?

If you'd like to discuss community guidelines with me or any other moderator or staff member, I urge you to send us a PM.

Happy Monday-eve... May the odds be ever in your favor.
    Em