Mental urge to eat even when not hungry?

Options
I know I shouldn't be hungry as I just ate but my brain seems to urge me to eat like its telling me I'm hungry but I can't be?

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You'll get over it eventually just keep yourself busy/distracted its just boredom i think manifesting self
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Ghrellin and leptin are a little slow. They'll catch up to reality soon.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Can't it be? Are you eating enough? If you aren't eating enough, eat more, but if you are eating enough, just distract yourself. It's very normal.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    I know I shouldn't be hungry as I just ate but my brain seems to urge me to eat like its telling me I'm hungry but I can't be?

You may need to tweak your macros to find foods that satiate you more. Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • AngeleyesJo
    AngeleyesJo Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

You may need to tweak your macros to find foods that satiate you more. Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Should be public now although not everyday is filled in properly
  • itsalifestylenotadiet
    Options
    Currently drinking hot tea because dinner is in the oven and making me want it now. Having our Thanksgiving today because my daughter's family was sick. I drink flavored hot tea every single night before bed too. It really helps alot. No calories, no sugar.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options

Nope, not public yet. Are you sure you hit Save?
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    If I feel like that after I ate & it won't go away with distraction, I have a small snack, Like today I had half turkey sandwich with 2oz of turkey 1 TBL lite mayo & 3 cups of water, I'm full
  • krwjohnson
    krwjohnson Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I'm this way but it's because I eat to relieve boredom plus food tastes good. I try to find something else to do. Chewing gum helps.

Gum for sure!!!
  • whiskeykittentoo
    whiskeykittentoo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Drink a small glass of water, or have a cup of tea - no sugar/milk. I was like that in the beginning too. Sometimes still do it when I'm stressed. Boredom/stress make you eat even when you are not hungry. It's hard to fight in the beginning, but once you find your "coping" mechanism, it will get easier.
  • AngeleyesJo
    Options

Nope, not public yet. Are you sure you hit Save?

Should be now have a look
  • jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I usually have a dill pickle if I want something sweet. Here's a quote from Steve Gullo (Thin tips) "I'm not going to let a cookie tell me what to do."
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The thing that hit me first was that you're woefully low in protein fat, especially fat. Your body may be screaming at you to feed it because you are low on these 2 very important macros.

But you said not everyday is filled out properly.. Maybe start by logging every single thing you eat and drink, this way you'll know for certain what things you need to tweak. It's hard to give accurate advice with an inaccurate diary.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Yes. I have dealt with this and I found that I was thirsty instead of hungry. Also, food may be a habit. If you are used to always eating at certain times you may want to eat at that time out of habit.
  • AngeleyesJo
    Options
    The thing that hit me first was that you're woefully low in protein fat, especially fat. Your body may be screaming at you to feed it because you are low on these 2 very important macros.

But you said not everyday is filled out properly.. Maybe start by logging every single thing you eat and drink, this way you'll know for certain what things you need to tweak. It's hard to give accurate advice with an inaccurate diary.

I'm actually trying to increase protein at the moment and fat too
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    You might find the Beck diet solution helpful - it's a cognitive approach to dealing with the thought patterns that lead to overeating:

http://www.beckdietsolution.com/weight-loss-and-maintenance

I personally find boredom and anxiety both make me want to reach for food to comfort me. The concept behind the cognitive approach is: learn to identify the thought patterns that lead to this behavior, and use rational self talk to respond to them.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    One of the things that helped me is having an eating schedule, specifically when I'm at work, the weekends I'm not terrible with snacking. So my work days go something like this:
    9am-10am Breakfast
    1030 - snack
    12-1 lunch
    3 - snack
    5-630 dinner

Knowing that ill have those snacks really helps, also bringing stuff from home helps me stay away from the vending machines.

And yes, I did to the extreme of setting fitbit alarms at 1030 and 3, so I remember to go get water and eat a snack.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Lol I dunno... I always wanna eat even when I'm not hungry, unless I'm just stuffed.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    Lol I dunno... I always wanna eat even when I'm not hungry, unless I'm just stuffed.

If i offered you a delicious dessert when your stuffed youd want it to :D yumyum