Get me out of this plateau!

sj915
sj915 Posts: 16 Member
When I started my diet, I cut back on portions, stopped fast food, counted calories, started running, doing tae bo, an occassional weight lifting at the gym when I had time, and I lost 45 lbs within a year. Now, with no changes, I have put on 4 lbs, but all my clothes fit. I don't know if it's muscle (why now is it building if it is?) or what it is, but I am STUCK on losing more weight or getting tone! Been in this rut for about 5 months. HELP!

Replies

• DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,345 Member
    bump
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    A couple things that I've found help break a plateau:

Try upping your calories. Sometimes as we get leaner and more toned, our bodies actually need MORE calories in order to function at their best. Try upping them by a couple hundred calories for a few weeks (at least 3) and see what happens.

Switch up your workout routine. If you've been doing the same workouts for the last year - it's time to switch it up more. Do something TOTALLY different for awhile. As our bodies get used to our workouts, they start to burn less calories while doing it. Trying something new for awhile will usually jump start it.

If you've been running alot, try doing MORE strength training or switch to circuit training. I saw a huge change in my body when I stopped running so much and switched to a circuit training kind of routine. :)
  • Monarch1982
    Monarch1982 Posts: 15 Member
    I just spoke about this today with my trainer. The key is mixing it up CONSTANTLY so your body doesn't get used to anything and plateau! Exercise , foods you eat, doing different strength training exercises is essential to absolving the dreaded plateau. I hope this helps.
  • sj915
    what exactly is a circuit training? yeah i've heard to mix it up, which I've started to do more of, though I still ike to get 2 runs in a week to keep my body lose. the thing that gets me skeptic is eating more. i feel if i up my calorie count i'll just pack it on. i failed many times to diet right and lose weight. i finally was able to do it, i don't want to lose my flow or put it back on.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    I have told you once and I will tell you again. You worry to much about scales. Does your clothes fit good? Are you wearing a size that is comfortable? Are your muscles toned and defined? You are so close to your goal, you are focusing on it to much. Focus on these other things. Toning and defining your muscles, wearing a size 4 comfortably (just guessing a size you may want to be or are). Once you get so close to your goal, to me it is time to change what your goal is. Not to see the scales go down, it should be more about how your body actually looks.
  • sj915
    i am a 6 thank you. they fit fine, it is muscle toning and definition...that's why i'm looking for different workout ideas