protein bars

Options
Does anyone know if protein bars are any good for you? I just got an atkins chocolate protein bar which has 17g of protein in it and 1gram of sugar x

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    They're OK in a pinch, but as they aren't real food, try to limit their use. I use them when I'm in a big hurry, or when traveling so I'm not tempted by crap in airports when I have stepped off a plane, famished.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I love the pure protein bars, and also the balance bars!
  • fitness_superstar
    Options
    I eat Cliff Bars. Those are really good. Don't try Luna though. Those are nasty....
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I've tried about 25 different kinds of protein bars, and my favorite so far is EAS Myoplex bars. 25g of protein, with only 35g of carbs and 8g fat.

Plus, they taste WAY better than most of the protein bars.
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    LUNA PROTIEN BARS ARE EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Hicksbc
    Hicksbc Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have two kinds I really like! "oh yeah" and "detour" depending on the size of the bar you can get 15-30gs of protein with 130-170 calories. I have started using them since I started work out and they help me with the mid morning hungars
  • chatal36
    chatal36 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I feel like protein bars are too good to be true..its like eating a candy bar to me...they are not part of a "clean eating" diet but better than a regular candy bar lol
  • Feddyvon
    Feddyvon Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I eat the Clif Builders bars as a way to keep my protien and calorie counts up without going over my daily allotment. They have fit well in my diet thus far, especially on days where I know my lunch or dinner is going to be later than usual.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I use them alot... Meal replacement, protein boost after workout. (Pure Protein for me all the way)
  • littlelol
    littlelol Posts: 539
    Options
    where can i purchase ALL THESE protein bars you have mentioned guys? xx
  • ZebraHead
    Options
    Pure Protein at Target, Sam's Club, most grocery stores

20grams of protein 2grams of sugar for between 180 and 200 calories depending on which kind you pick.

I am currently hooked on the Chocolate Peanut butter but ate the Smore's ones for a long time.
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Powercrunch bars are the best I've had! I only found them at my health food store and Trader Joe's. They only have 10 carbs vs. the 25+ that most generally have.

Aside from the great nutrition info, they taste like candy bars.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    where can i purchase ALL THESE protein bars you have mentioned guys? xx

Most of them can be found at grocery stores and stores like Target and Walmart. Look in the "weight loss" area.
  • ZebraHead
    Options
    Pure Protein is a net 3grams of carbs...
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    My favorite are the Think Thin bars, especially the Creamy Peanut Butter and Dark Chocolate flavors. They have 20g of protein, 26g of carb and 0g of sugar (because it is sweetened with sugar alcohols), and are gluten free. They are not as "clean" as eating whole foods, but for exercise nutrition and eating on the go, they are a good alternative.
  • Jasmine_Moonstone
    Jasmine_Moonstone Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I really like the Luna protien bars, my favorite are the Oatmeal Raisin ones. I also like the Balanace bars, the chocolate PB one. I use them in the morning sometimes when I have to be to work early & do not have time to get breakfast before going in b/c of having to drop my son off at the sitters. I also like protien shakes & slim fast shakes.
  • littlelol
    littlelol Posts: 539
    Options
    these protein bars appear to contain up to 12g of fat? is this normal? Im worried i may start gaining if i have one for breakfats every morning?
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Fat is a necessary part of your diet, particularly mono- and polyunsaturated fat. There is nothing wrong with it.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if protein bars are any good for you? I just got an atkins chocolate protein bar which has 17g of protein in it and 1gram of sugar x
    I don't do Adkins, but I LOVE the Adkin's bar. They are the most common processed food you'll see on my log. The low sugar/high protein just fits my lifestyle...and by lifestyle I mean LIVING in the ding dang gym. :-D Pure Protein is good too, but not as tasty IMHO.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I really like the Luna protien bars, my favorite are the Oatmeal Raisin ones. I also like the Balanace bars, the chocolate PB one. I use them in the morning sometimes when I have to be to work early & do not have time to get breakfast before going in b/c of having to drop my son off at the sitters. I also like protien shakes & slim fast shakes.
    Beware of Luna and Balance though...same amount of sugar as a candy bar. EEK!