So, I went to a dietician....

Options
13»

Replies

• red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    According to you, you already know what to do; your issue is adherence. Therefore, it doesn't matter what the dietician recommends, since you're not going to follow his advice anyway (I love these "bash the so-called-professionals" posts).

And I wouldn't worry about losing muscle mass, if you're not losing any weight.

It wasn't my intention to "bash" anyone. All I meant was that his advice contradicted so much that I'd seen and read in the past, that I came away feeling confused. I also think he should've addressed my concerns a little. Part of my referral for him was to seek help with reflux. He didn't mention it once.

I'm sure reflux is different for everyone , I have found I can't eat too close to bedtime because of it ,, and pasta type dishes are the worst .. For me anyway ..

Good luck
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    The fact he said "Muscle weighs more than fat" alone is enough to make me say never go back to him. 1lb is 1lb, though the SIZES may be different [muscle is more dense, so it would be smaller]. He shouldn't be spewin' that crap in the way he is.. You also wouldn't be putting on so much muscle SO QUICKLY as to counteract any of your weight loss. Muscle takes a good amount of time to build.

All the bad advice that was given and you lock onto that little bit of petty semantics??
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    There are many good Registered Dietitians out there. Don't waste any of your good time thinking about this guy. He's not even practicing what he's preaching. Please go to another RD. Try to see a female RD too. That might help you feel better too, when you go. Try seeing which other RD's you can see, and check them out online before making your decision.
  • Fidelmahayes
    Fidelmahayes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hiya,
    I did a plan a while ago and they had calories for my training and non training days. Both days were under 1500. They had me doing weights all the time at home. In the 6 weeks I lost 9% body fat. If you work out using weights your body is still burning calories a few hours after. Regarding cardio you burn calories while working out but it's not as effective. If you combine the two weights first and cardio after you tap into your glycogen stores. It's meant to be great if you want to lose bodyfat. Hope this helps
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Look, I don't want to be narrow here, but the man is significantly overweight (or over-fat), right? Even if his advice were solid, it would seem he himself is not able to follow it. So how is it supposed to work for you?

If the advice is solid then I don't see how the physique of the person giving the advice is relevant as far as the value of the advice.

I put it forth as potentially relevant since, even if the method suggested would indeed cause weight/fat loss if it could be adhered to, if it is not doable even for the person suggesting it, that really doesn't point to it being a sustainable plan.

There are loads of ways that absolutely solidly will lead to weight loss; a percentage of these will be sustainable/practical. Many eating plans will lead to weight loss but if you can't stick with them, well...

I should have specified that when I said "solid," meant: legitimately will or should cause fat loss. That doesn't automatically mean reasonable or practical or sustainable. Sewing your lips shut will solidly lead to weight loss too.

I didn't see the man and don't know his health history; I am going only on the OP's comment.
  • rennickm1986
    rennickm1986 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I only skimmed the OP but I'd look at whey her he calls himself a dietician or he's a registered dietician. A registered dietician would give you sound advice. Look up his name, otherwise he might be another quack "nutritionist"
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @red99ryder that was my experience also. When I ate lighter in the evening and not too close to bedtime my reflux resolved itself.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    He was right about the cardio though. If you do an hour almost every day, you will start seeing some progress because it will boost your deficit, assuming you keep your calories same as now and are unable to eat less. If you're unable or unwilling to eat less, like me, then your only other option is to move more.

If you want to continue lifting, fine, but at 200 lbs, you have such a high level of body fat that you really shouldn't worry about losing muscle. Usually, it's those with very low levels of bf and shredded that are at risk of losing muscle when they lose weight. Our bodies are not stupid. If you're in a calorie deficit, it will not cannibalize your muscles when there's so much fat available to use for energy. And even cardio helps preserve muscle. Any exercise does. Plus, there's a certain amount of non-fat mass that is lost and is normal during weight loss.
  • njk0215
    njk0215 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he's working off outdated information. He needs to catch up if he wants to continue in his career.
  • MarilynCurves
    MarilynCurves Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    So much good advice, you guys. Many thanks! I feel heartened and re-energised. Thank you all!
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,152 Member
    Options
    Time to try another dietician. I :heart: mine. She's on staff at the Wellness Center I'm a member of, which is a bonus. I started going to her when I was having some issues and she's been a tremendous help. I work weird hours 7P-7A, three times a week. No other dietician I've ever used has been able to help me figure out how to work with this schedule as far as food, but she does. Others I've used in the past gave me stock answers, generic meal plans and made no effort to personalize what would work for me. She doesn't push me towards any particular diet (other than keeping the carbs under control since I have PCOS). She helps me figure out how to make what I like work for me. I get the tough love when I need it. She recommended a trainer when I lost some muscle mass with doing all cardio and no strength training and I :heart: her too. I think it's a matter of finding someone you click with.
  • katandwaves
    katandwaves Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You sound just like me! I'm extremely all or nothing. I also went to see a dietician. She spent most of the session talking about herself and she served wine in one of our sessions! I ended up quitting after a couple times because it was just a total waste of money.
    We know what we have to do, we just have to do it, and do it consistently.
    Best of luck to you :)