Do you eat when hungry if out of calories?

Options

Replies

• srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I personally try to increase my activity to earn more calories, if that's not an option, I try to cram the most filling foods to me into the few remaining calories, and if I'm still hungry and don't feel like staying hungry, I just "borrow" some calories from tomorrow or just call it a day as long as it's under maintenance.

Work at a grocery store on my feet for 8 hours and it's chicago so it's cold. It's the week of thanksgiving and i'm completely burned out and don't want to move. But, yeah i'd usually do that. Plus the sun goes down at like 4pm now.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Drink water, drink coffee, go for a walk, plan a 360 calorie meal
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Also I believe if I am TRULY hungry that my body really does need the extra calories. Maybe I was more active the past few days, maybe my body was healing an injury or doing some processes, etc. Now that is when I am truly hungry not just... darn at my calorie limit but I still want to eat because food is good. Then I don't eat extra if I am not actually hungry because my body doesn't need it, I just want to eat lol.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Popcorn. That is what i do when I feel like I need to eat something, even though logically I know I've consumed (or will) enough for a whole day already.
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I add some exercise to earn more calories or I choose low calorie options like carrots, applesauce, popcorn, a sweet potato, broccoli, or green beans. I've also had a hot drink like coffee or tea.
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    If I'm just a bit peckish, no, I'll try to fob my body off with a cup of tea. If I'm genuinely properly hungry, then I'll eat. It doesn't happen very often. Today is one of those "not very often"s.

I won't try to exercise to compensate - that'd just exacerbate the issue. I might try to offset it over the next few days, but not if that just makes me more hungry. In other words, play it by ear (or stomach).
  • superstargalaxy
    superstargalaxy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When that happens, I usually drink lots of water to help bloat my stomach a bit. These days though, I'm drinking mostly green tea.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,164 Member
    Options
    Exercise to get more calories. Actually 360 is really pretty far from out if you eat a bunch of veggies with some lean protein.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Some good advice here. I agree with making the most of the 360. If you go over today, maybe plan some extra exercise tomorrow.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I eat if I'm awake/active longer than usual (at least I hope you don't usually get up before 5!). If you're awake, you're burning more (sometimes a lot more) energy, so eat more if you get hungry. I wouldn't go overboard, but certainly add at least a substantial snack.

For example, a normal day I'm awake 16 hours, asleep by 11PM. If I take advantage of a day off and am up till 2 am, I eat another snack late in the evening. If I don't, I spend the time from 12-2 getting progressively hungrier and more snappish.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    If I'm really really hungry and not just "feeling" hungry- you like just craving food- then I eat something. It would still need to be a sensible choice that would be filling. Sometimes an apple does the trick, other times it's a whole dinner plate. I listen to bodies signal. I've found that I'm getting better at it day by day.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    If I am actually feeling true hunger, I always eat. I am trying to build healthy thinking patterns in my brain regarding food and I feel that it is very important to listen to my body's messages about what I need - whether it is about not eating when I am not hungry or saying yes to eating when I am hungry. That being said, it rarely happens that I am truly hungry. Most of my "hunger" is boredom or just because it is there.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I eat something, but that's why I'm fat.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    depends on the level of hunger.if i'm really hungry,i'll have half a banana or a kiwi or something like that.
  • mklcrt
    mklcrt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Do IF and better manage your calories
  • wholenewme03
    wholenewme03 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry, I take it as my body's signal that it needs fuel and I eat.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Of course. If I'm actually hungry and not bored/stressed/depressed. I see no need to make myself miserable on purpose by being hungry.

Though I do stick to a smallish snack and check my macros first - most often I'm actually hungry because I hit my calories but one of them is low - I need more protein or fat or carbs. When I stay close to the recommended macros I rarely get hungry after using up my calories.
  • SparkyJess3
    SparkyJess3 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I personally have a perfectionistic personality and wouldn't go over my calorie goal regardless if I feel hungry or not.

Drinking more water can help supress hunger.

I'm right there with you!!! I drink water and if that doesn't help something low calorie like veggies.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »
    neldabg wrote: »
    Make the most out of those 360 calories you have left. Idk what your breakfast was like, but if it was filling and you ate enough, the energy provided should last you until the late afternoon and/or dinnertime.
    A lot of times for me, it's just boredom hunger, so I chew gum, take a walk, watch a movie, catch up on work I've procrastinated on, etc. If and only if distractions don't work and I truly feel hungry will I just go ahead and overeat.

Yeah I had 3 eggs some cheese and toast. I don't know why I worry about hypothetical so much.

What's you calorie goal such that after 3 eggs and toast you have only 360 left for the day? Even if slathered in butter that would be only 500 or so cals.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Yes. I trust it. But I hit my weekly zone.