Fluctuating Weight?

txfamilyof7
txfamilyof7 Posts: 35 Member
edited September 29 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone,

It's hard for me to determine if I'm losing weight or not because my weight fluctuates...for instance, last week I got so excited because I lost 3 lbs...then, this week those 3 lbs were back. 1/2 way through the week, I had lost 1-1/2 of them again. Who knows what I'm going to be on Friday???

But I always stay within the same 5 lbs or so. I get all excited on the weeks that I'm down, but then on the weeks that I'm up, I get all depressed. How can I tell if what I'm doing is working if I only fluctuate???

Thanks,

Replies

• jk051861
    jk051861 Posts: 41 Member
    I know what you mean. It is really frustrating in the short term. But keep it up. Keep track of your weight and over the months you will see a definite downward trend. I do weight watchers. One week it's down 2, next it's up 1.5, then it's down 1, etc. But over time, I lost over 20 pounds.

Also, keep an eye on sodium and water consumption. Sodium will increase water weight. Drink more water to help flush out the sodium.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Not enough information. How long have you been of MFP and mostly sticking to the plan? How many Calories a day are you getting? How much exercise are you getting?
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    keep at it and don't weigh in too often! Also always weigh yourself at the same time of day, I put on 3 pounds every day compared to the morning!

Also hormones will play a part, because once a month I put on 2 pounds, without fail, which really helps the PMS!
  • We have to stay off the scale. I find the same results up down, up down!

Try using a measuring tape and tracking your progress that way.

good luck!
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 694 Member
    Also make sure you weigh yourself at the same time everyday, that can make a BIG difference!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    you can tell if its working over a longer period of time. i am not trying to lose weight..but i find that even though i'm on my calorie goal i still go up and down 4-5 lbs even on a daily basis.

but after a month if you are still doing the same thing, then no you arent losing weight. and its time to step it up or change up your routine.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Weight fluctuations are normal. You can even weigh differently at different times of the same day. Heck, even your height can fluctuate throughout the day! But if you are dieting correctly - getting enough nutrition and calories but burning more than you consume - then that fluctuation should decrease over time. If not, then you probably need to examine your routine.
  • txfamilyof7
    txfamilyof7 Posts: 35 Member
    Thanks everyone. It's nice to see I'm not alone. :-)

I weigh myself in the morning, as soon as I get out of bed...I try to do it on the same day each week (in this case, it's Fridays).

I like the suggestion to measure success with a measuring tape instead of the scale! That's really good advice, especially since I get super depressed when I either gain, or don't lose.

Thanks again!!!
This discussion has been closed.